How do you feel about Mary Jane being BLACK in the upcoming Spiderman film?

Spiderman home coming will have the first ever black mary Jane played by Zendaya. Do you think this was done for shock value to attract people? Do you think them making her black was just done out of wanting to make the film more relatable, modernized to a wider demographic similar to what they did to Nick Fury?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not surprised. They don't care about being true to the comics or original stories, they just care about appeasing the public.
    If the movies weren't based on comics, then I wouldn't care, but they're not, so they have to be true to what the characters look like in the comics.
    Imagine if Gimli from LOTR was a 6ft guy, or if Legolas was black.

Seriously, stop the PC bullshit, and be true to the original stories.

So should they stop casting white people as EGYPTIANS in every single film?

I don't think you know many east African aledeeurope 🙄 She looks like Iman who played her in Remember the time by MJ.
      s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...eb17443b7c.jpg

Thanks for the MHO

What Girls Said 16

• I think it was done because so much of the world is so whitewashed that people automatically decide and assume a character is white. Not usually African American, Native American, Mexican/Hispanic, East Indian, Asian, biracial: just white. Diversity is a good thing.

i think it´s more because she´s a freaking ginger readhead in the comix... black people do not have red hair usually... i mean we don´t replace traditional black characters with white ones either, do we? imagine the outrage if we did that.

@Jersey2 there are black comic and film icons. maybe not enough xD that´s no reason to just replace white ones with black ones.

@genericname85 I agree, but it is what they are doing. Just don't support it with your money and they will change.

• Zendaya is mixed. She is just as much white as she is black. It's a beautiful thing, representation is important. Plus it's not like Mary Jane is a real historical character, she is a work of fiction. Unless it is important to the plot that Mary Jane is white, there's no problem here.

• There are so many fucking Spider-Man movies that are all boring as shit, so they're probably going for a shock and awe factor that may draw a new crowd in.

Because nobody sane would willingly see another Spider-Man movie that gives you the same basic outline as all the other godforsaken Spider-Man movies with the same crusty actors.

• I mean I kinda like Zendaya, so I'd be willing to give this movie a chance. Donald Glover is supposed to be Spider-Man right? Or was that a rumour? I'll give it a shot. As long as there isn't some stupid propaganda behind it like Ghostbusters (2016).

• ZENDAYA IS NOT BLACK! She is biracial and as long as she can deliver star quality in her performance, she can be blue for all I care!

And I don't

• I can't care less that the latest Mary Jane is black. I am more annoyed that another Spider-Man is being made. Yet I am still waiting on my black widow movie. I would rather have a new superhero with a good background story.

• Well, I know nothing about Mary Jane, but they do look alike, so it makes sense to me.

• They obviously only did this to appeal to the PC audiences.

• Zendaya is mixed, first of all. Secondly, let the casting people do their jobs.

• Another Spiderman?

• She's half black, not full black.
    Zendaya would be perfect for the part.

• I'm fine with it. Zendaya is such a beautiful girl, she seems like she has a good heart too

• Zendaya is mixed. And who cares.

• She isn't black at all, she is part black, but not black at all.

• Zendaya is perfect

• I don't get why people are always so shocked and shit when black people get offered roles. Like when they said they might have a black James Bond, and now this. Like wow, shock horror, black people exist and some of them act... mind blowing, I know.

What Guys Said 32

• I find it annoying to a degree (being a comic book nerd mary jane was a redhead and it was a bit iconic so alterations are a bit annoying as that's how she is always represented, kind of like seeing a conan the barbarian movie with a skinny guy), I think its part shock value part appealing to a broader demographic. The comics have been doing this for awhile and to me it feels kind of like Blaxploitation move, instead of creating a unique character who is black/Asian/Hispanic/etc etc (like milestone comics did) they just take a preexisting white character and essentially have them black face it basicly (its very lazy). For the movies however I do feel some leeway should be given as in the end its the character traits being presented that matter the most more then anything so its a little annoying just because that's the image you have always had of the character being changed but in the end as long as the character is accurately portrayed then the actual physical resemblance (Plus she is beautiful enough to portray a model (which mary jane was) so that doesn't hurt either). Quite frankly I'm more annoyed that their doing another reboot then anything else.

• This actress is pretty, I don't mind her being black at all. What I DO mind, is the mindless spider-man reboots.

• It's pretty sad actually. The reason is the intention behind it. It wasn't like the creators said "Our vision for this character we're creating is for her to be black". Instead it's the creators saying "Mary Jane has been white all this time, we should make her black". Its the intention behind it that matters most, not the skin color, because that shows the mindset the creators are in. Less story, more political correctness. This is the same reason why the all-female star cast in Ghostbusters caused it to flop.

• She isn't exactly fully black, but it is annoying considering the uproar it would be if a black character gets turned white.

Personally I wouldn't care too much in general - but the issue is that Mary Jane always red hair as her stand-out attribute and that is somewhat not possible with a person of colour.

"She isn't exactly fully black, but it is annoying considering the uproar it would be if a black character gets turned white."

^^ eh...

Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games -- whom the author describes in the book as *olive-skinned* and black-haired -- was played by naturally blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jennifer Lawrence in the film.

Also, in the movie "A Mighty Heart", about Mariane Pearl, the wife of Daniel Pearl (the journalist killed in the Middle East), Angelina Jolie was chosen to play Mrs. Pearl.
      Even though Mrs. Pearl was a mix of black and Chinese.

@redeyemindtricks

And if I remember correctly there was a whole lot of shit going on about Jennifer Lawrence being choosen for it.

Was there? Well, good, at least there's equal shit in both directions ahah.

• Yes it was just a publicity stunt and nothing more

• And then black people still complain about too much whiteness in the media.
    While at the same time constantly ripping off anything White people have created and then calling it their own.
    Needless to say that the movie will be a disaster for the production just like the Social Justice Ghostbusters but apparently this doesn't concern the filmmakers as long as they can show how politically correct they are.

• I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if it wasn't pointed out to me.

With that said, it's nice to see more diversity in mainstream American cinema. Good on Zendaya for winning the part.

• With all the numerous movie roles being reversed by gender and race these days, there is definitely no denying the casting agency picked Zendaya only for the simple fact that she is black to make the movie more "diverse." Something to keep the PC audience under control...

• Guarantees that I won't watch it.
    Not because a black person is in the movie, but because the original character wasn't like that so I won't watch it when they are just pandering to a specific group and changing the character.
    Characters should stay true to their creator's imagining, and not changed just to appeal to a group to appease them, or purely for more profit.

• I don't like Spiderman and I don't know who Mary Jane is, so I don't care but I don't think the skin colour should matter and she's definitely beautiful

• I don't really care. Good for her. Easily the hottest mary jane ever

• I honestly could care less, I just want Spiderman to stop being a teenager and actually become a Man for at least two movies.

• I don't have a problem with it. They even plan on making a future James Bond black. I think they're going to keep changing the ethnicity of many characters, nothing wrong with it.

• She's prettier than the last Mary Jane. All the last one had going for her was her boobs.

• I was close to being triggered until i saw its zendya. Fuck yeah i approve

• it´s a bit like trying to make a movie with white MR. T XD it´s retarded.

• I personally dont like that they are changing races just to be politically correct
    but hey ill still see it and shell prob do better than the other chick the played in the toby movies lol

• She'd definitely be good for the role

• What, are they rebooting Spiderman again or something? Jesus.

• Good I dont care

• WAIT WAIT WAIT

WOAH WOAH WOAH

THERE'S A NEW SPOODERMAN?

• I'm just glad they are finally 'diversifying' female roles, Fair is fair. They could have picked a better black chick though, That ones ugly.

• Black people made it

• I think it is being done to jam black white down our throats like has been the case in the past five years. I am glad Target took a huge hit on their Quarterly earning while jamming transgender bathrooms down our throats. I will skip this movie as a protest along with others and the large Chinese audiences will be less as well. Perhaps as they lose money they will eventually learn we are tired of it.

• She's not black... but light brown... and pretty caucasoid

But It's still a bit weird and I don't think it should have been done.

• I dont know. It might be SJW bullshit. I dont believe in changing a character's race/gender/sexuality just to satisfy some left wing political correctness nazis and as a box ticking exercise but should be done based on the actor/actresses abilities. Take for example the new ghost busters movie done to appease radical feminist campaigners, the actresses were terrible and the script was awful. Also it could be argued that the new Ghostbusters was racist because there are three white female professors and a black woman is hired for muscle. The PC brigade really ruined Ghostbusters I hope they dont do the same to spiderman.

• If that's black, then I'm some sort of ultra-black can't-reflect-light colour.

Get over it. She was the best actress for the role.

• I think it's funny that when a white person is cast as another race from source material, everyone bitches about it. Another race gets cast as a white person from source material, and you're racist if you say anything except "that's good, now it's diverse." Did anyone bat an eye that Sam Jack was cast as Nick fury? Will smith as Jim west? Hell, had they cast a black girl to play sue storm in fant4stic, no one would've said boo about Michael b Jordan being cast as Johnny. It's hypocritical if anyone of any race says "whitewashing is bad" and then doesn't say boo about happening to white character in source material. Yes, they should've found an Asian for ghost in the shell, and yes they should cast a white for Mary Jane watson. Cast an actor who fits the role.

• I think she's really hot.

No opinions beyond that.

• Jhonny storm is black now
    Hermoine is black now in that play
    Now spider mans chick is also black?

Am i the only one that thinks that its racist for blacks? I mean, we turn whites into blacks. Thats like saying no black people we can't develop black super heros from the start up we have to turn white ones into black ones because otherwise its not gonna work.

Just let white roles alone and develop some black ones

• More from Guys
    2