Do you believe the stereotypes that are associated with certain music genres?

Like if you listen to rap, you're violent and if you listen to country music you're stupid etc.

Do you know any more stereotypes?
Do you believe them?

Most Helpful Guy

• every social cirlce with some random standards have some random dude/chic into it just to fit a trend, shout slogans and "act like you're supposed to". that's being human and to an extent very conformist.

to make an example, i have several punk friends. once i was with them i refused to take drugs and they all looked at me like i was crazy or something "i never heard of a punk who doesn't take drugs!" and i was like "never heard about punks being mindless conformists!"
    and that's how i scored that night ah!

Most Helpful Girl

• The music one likes have to do with one's personality.
    My mother once wrote psychology article about music, but it was so controversial no one wanted to publish it, they even asked her to destroy all evidence and never make it public by any means.

I'll ask her if she still has a copy of the file and might share it here, but I believe there will be many users that will be offended (like 80% or more)

What Guys Said 17

• Nope. I've never heard of rap being associated with violence or country music being associated with stupidity. I have heard metal being associated with violence (amongst satanism and general craziness).

As far as the metal stereotype goes, I would have to disagree with that one. Yeah, there are crazy metal people, but I don't think it can be fully generalized to produce a correlation. Speaking anecdotally, I listen to metal and am relatively laid back, my roommate listens to metal and is super chill, and most of the people I've met that listen to metal are pretty normal [outside of concerts].

Also, many metal people have a respect for classical music, which is actually similar at its roots. The stereotypes for those are conflicting, leading to an issue.

That goes for many of the music stereotypes-- people may listen to multiple genres. Often times the stereotypes clash with each other, or become so negative it's unrealistic.

So on the whole, I'd disagree. The stereotype becomes so general here that it cannot adequately predict any music-to-nature correlation. They're just people.

• Well, y'know, you can say it''s all stereotypes, but these rap artists keep dying young of bullet wounds. Those bodies being carried out are not stereotypes.

Thats a good point. But its been some time since a famous rapper died, hasn't it?

Not long ago there was one in the media, and I have to think it's so common that not every shooting gets big media play

• I don't believe in stereotypes at all in any sense of the word. I am a death metal vocalist and I don't live up to the stereotype that I should be withdrawn, angry, dangerous, or a freak. (okay maybe a little on some of the things) but I am by far not even close to the stereotype.

• That all people who listen to edm are addicts of LCD and other drugs? Nope. Proof, myself.

• I listen to all kinds of music with metal being my favorite but I don't live up to the stereotype of being angry, a loner, mad at the world haha.

Though there are people who think I listen to nothing but metal even though there's lots of metal bands out there that I find boring or just flat out suck.

• Haha that's not an easy one :o
    Some music genres are probably a sort of "style", a way of behaving as well... so I think that in many cases the answer will be "yes"!

• Yes. I listen to rap and I've murdered like 15 people and me listening to country music lost me 45iq points so now I'm only down to 155 ☹️

Haha i never said i believe the stereotypes!

• All Metal Heads Are Angry At Their Dads An Prone To Random Acts Of Violence. That's false because I'm 37 and am usually a happy person who gets along great with his dad.

• No I don't believe them - They are all just people underneath their look

• There is a little confusion here.
    YOU think those music genres are stereotyped as you outlined. The whole world does not think in those terms, nor do all the listeners of those genres.

Just my opinion

Okay breathe, I said "like" at first so I was giving out examples of stereotypes. If you read what I wrote underneath that, i asked if YOU guy know any and if you believe them.
      Also, I never said I believed them myself.

Please read the question

• I don't believe in those stereotypes at all. However I do think certain music can evoke reactions. But I don't think people who listen to country are stupid or people who listen to rap are violent

Those were also just some common examples. there's also the one with people who listen to classical music are super intelligent, but boring

Yup. I'm familiar with that one too. I don't buy into the stereotypes

Thats cool :)

• So I am violent and stupid? Lmao Thats still better than listening to metal aka nutjobs

I was asking if you believed the stereotypes. I don't believe them :)

• I don't think so. I like all kinds of music I wonder what that means about me😂

• sometimes, rap, especially.

• Yes I do.

What does your taste in music then say about you?

It's also amazing

Thanks :) I think, classical muic are very emotional. Also, I listening Chinese traditional musics, sometimes.. Bambo flute awesome.

• Just curious about those who listen to AOR.

If you don't know what AOR is, it's a genre popular in the late 70s and all through the 80s. Examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ8RNEr3W48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4MV9UZoUrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvG8WuEBer4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIgwYPlxhfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVUN-p4Da0

What Girls Said 3

• No.. i listen to heavy metal and everyone says Im too innocent to listen to it 😂
    If people follow stereotypes they only want to find a place to fit in somewhere

• Yeah I'm called emo ALL the time because I love Twenty One Pilots so much and one of Panic at the Disco song.

• I dont believe in any stereotypes. You can't judge someone on anything except for how they act and what they say.