Anybody ever worked on making their own language?

Mine is a combination of:

- Germanic, Sanskrit, Latin, and Greek vocabulary
- Hungarian style agglutination for noun and adjective cases
- Swahili inspired noun classes
- Chinese and Japanese style sentence particles

As a sample, here are the first ten cardinal numbers:

ðu
θriʂ
pʊdwʌr
fym
jεks
zǫvṇ
oxtœ
ñaŋ
tæɣ

Most Helpful Girl

• A couple of girlfriends and I have invented "sign languages" for communicating in clubs, bars and the like... but those were (obviously) very limited in scope, and we never had any aspirations of creating anything like a complete language. lol

What exactly is yr goal here?
    Is this going to become part of an epic story (like Elvish in LOTR)?
    Are you inventing this WITH anyone else (with whom you'll actually be able to speak and/or write it)?
    Etc.

If yr goal is to try to create a lingua franca for speakers of a whole bunch of different languages, then... I hate to be a wet blanket, but, you should probably abandon that particular goal. That's already been tried with Esperanto and Interlingua, among others -- and neither of those two has ever accumulated more than a nerd-fringe following.

Also -- Given the increasing role of the internet in today's discourse... If you actually intend for this to have *practical* value, then you should probably focus on WRITTEN language, rather than spoken language.
    (I noticed that you spelled the numbers with IPA symbols -- suggesting that you're trying to make a *spoken* language. That doesn't have good odds... I mean, it's hard enough to even get different speakers of the SAME language, with different accents, to understand each other!)

But, yeah... I am definitely ultimate language nerd. So, interested... What's the goal here?

Well, I'll be jiggered! Somebody else who actually knows what the IPA is. ;-) I only used the IPA for some sounds, preferring normal Roman or Anglo-Saxon letters otherwise. I don't want my language to look TOO terribly artificial. lol.

Nah, I'm not planning anything epic. Far from it. And, I'm working alone.

This whole pursuit is more for fun than anything, and I don't expect anybody to ever use my jumbled mess of sounds. The way I look at it, if an artificial language like Esperanto could get any traction, then Lord knows that a hobby language created by a hillbilly living in the mountains won't go anywhere. Haha.

Part of it is for poetry, and I already have 27 different words for love (a mix of nouns and verbs). So, I would probably use my language for writing more than anything, though it would be useful for verbal communication too.

Tx for the MHLuv <3

Yep. :-)

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 5

• Nope but when I was in 7th or 8th grade in school, me and my friend made our own decrypted script.
    So we wrote diary together and no one guessed what was written there.

• I just came here to read my fav @palek 's answer😂😂

We've formed a mutual admiration society, which can't help but be a good thing!

• I'm helping my daughter, who is co-writing with a friend of mine a novel, to create a fictional language.

• A secret code used by certain people around the world.

• OH HELL YES. EVERY SCI-FI STORY I CREATE THEY HAVE THEIR OWN CULTURES, LANGUAGE AND STATUS TITLES.

What Guys Said 4

• Kind of 'Nerdy'!!
    I have created a few of my own ciphers and transcriptions to hide passwords and logins. Not really a 'language' though. . .
    Why not just learn 'Klingon'? :)

Yeah, I'm super nerdy. ;-) Klingon isn't quite expressive enough for me, though it's quite good (I love all the verb forms).

I just love being able to make a language that reflects how I think.

Are you a linguist, or studying languages? Just a hobby, or fascination?

Nah, I love linguistics, but I'm not professional. This is a hobby more than anything. I just got bored one day. lol.

• That has to be a huge job

• Nah I don't have time for that shi'