Is there something wrong with me to feel sympathy to The Joker of the DC comic series?

My sister, brother and I was having a discussion about Batman and Gotham City and I was telling them I feel a lot of sympathy to The Joker and I wouldn't mind dating him if he would date me. He just seem like a sad lonely soul who seek thrill and fun because he's sad. My sister agrees my brother thinks I am insane. What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Guy

• you are insane.
    look up "anti social personality disorder."
    that's what they call sociopaths now.
    he has all the tendencies.

sociopaths happen in real life, so this is important to know: they are not hurt, damaged people. they can not be fixed. they are people born with the complete inability to feel empathy. they CAN NOT connect to people. they can not love people. lives of other people have no value to them, because they can not connect with people in any way. a sociopath feels like the only real person in a world made of cardboard cut outs.

it is possible to be 100% pure evil. most people, even people like Hitler and Stalin, were not 100% pure evil though. If you have the ability to care about, to love, even one other person, you have the innate ability to, in theory, care about people in general, which is the basis for morality. A sociopath can not feel any love, any compassion, for anyone. they just... don't feel it. and they don't understand it. imagine if you could not see the color yellow. it just was not visible. you might know something is missing, you might catch on that other people see this color you don't... but nothing they can do can ever explain to you what it is.

there are stories about people with sociopathy who do things like... walk into their home, and just beat their parents to death with a hammer... not because they are mad or anything, but just because they are curious if it will make them feel anything. will they feel guilt? will they be disgusted with their actions? will they cry when their parents are gone? will they feel like they did anything wrong? because they know that's how other people would feel, so they are curious if they will, and their amazing lack of humanity, brought about by their inability to connect, means they can just do something like that, and while they know it is "wrong," they don't feel like it is wrong. They have nothing on the inside screaming in horror at what they are doing.

That is what the Joker character is. That is all he is. He is not sad. He is not lonely. He is not damaged by life and broken and waiting to be fixed. He is written to be a soulless monster in human form who is utterly incapable of caring for anyone, or of feeling any guilt for anything he has done, so his entire existence is nothing but a game, and the only point to the game is to be amused.

I am dating an ASPD and sociopath. He was in a mental institute before thats where I met him during my internship. However I beg to differ because textbook says they are incapable of love don't mean they are.

Hey, I gave you warning. It's your life, date whomever you want. But don't be too surprised it things go sideways.
      I have no doubt you have people who care about you who will be there to help you pick up the pieces, but if they start in with I Told You SOs, I don't think you'll be in much of a position to get upset that they are all taking turns telling you that they warned you and you should have listened.

Sociopaths are masters at deceiving and manipulating people. Either the person you are with does not have ASPD, or you are being used.

Well doctor diagnosed him that

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 19

• Why not sometimes you feel a connection with not expected characters

• Harley... get off the Internet and go back to Arkham -.-
    38.media.tumblr.com/.../...pk2xvf1qer8czo4_500.gif

... Thats real funny

• Look what those thoughts did to Dr Harleen Quinzel.

He's evil, murderous and cruel (he paralyzed Barbara Gordon). He also has serious mental health issues and to an extent can't help doing what he does and not feeling remorse for it.

I am still debating on the actual fact whether people whose sociopath, psychopath or has ASPD can actually love. I know according to textbook answer, they can't. However I would not say my boyfriend whose a sociopath and has ASPD don't have feelings for me.

Because they're no good for you. I have attraction for girls that I know won't be good for me all the time. Doesn't mean I'm going to go for it

@Toad-1 well maybe if you love someone you won't put yourself first

• 0|1
  • Yeah, feeling that kind of sympathy and wanting to date a psychopathic murderer means you have some serious issues.

There is some reason why they are this way. I dated a sociopath before... I still feel a lot for him

That doesn't change the fact that they are this way. And no sometimes there is no reason for someone being a sociopath, some of them are just born that way and they will always be sociopaths no matter what you do. The fact that you would intentionally seek an unhealthy and destructive relationship just because the other person is "damaged" shows that you have deep mental issues.

• Not necessarily, he had a rough xhildhood and life ans soesnt know what lbecafeels like and doesn't really know any better because growing up he wasn't taught right from wrong because he had no one to teach hilike. What he does is wrong but its only partly his fault.

I agree that its his fault but there is no one letting him think or see the light in another way.

Yeah, he acts like he's better then everyone when everyones equal, batman just had money and a better chance in life, plus you can't be good if you break the rules to have them fit you but no one else

All he does is throwing people in the prison. See what he did to deadshot... He's a hitman. He was paid to kill. It's his goddamn job. It may not be a 'good' thing. But he did it for a reason.

• it has been known that girls go for bad men. serial killers have women on the outside that adore them. we often feel for tje nad guy and how he became a bad person. i myself got strange looks and booted from the star wars facebook page because i said that i had sympathy for darth vader. he did what he did for love. wouldn't you do snything even sell yir soul to keep your loved one

I feel everyone has a reason and story... If only ee look beyond the surface

• ... Harley? Is that you Harley?

• Nah, it's perfectly normal... I want to date Catwoman so... no wait that's different...

• I have felt sympathy for a few villains, but never Joker.

• He is a psychopath... you like psychopaths? Lol grow up as quickly you can

Dude... I'm older than you. I just don't think its that crazy to like one.

I'm 25. You are 23 according to your profile. I don't feel is crazy because like I said its feelings. You just feel and like someone without reason.
      I am dating a sociopath and a guy with ASPD. He didn't even rape, beat or torture me at all.

Nice!! Good for you 👍👌

• You have issues.

• feeling sympathy is one thing-saying you date him is utterly insane.

• A lot of very damaged women identify with Harley Quinn and would date the Joker. Its kinda like women who write letters to charles manson.

I don't identify with Harley because I feel that the joker obviously treats her badly. But I feel that joker can treat someone genuinely if he truly like someone. Just that the girl is not harley

nah he'd probably cripple them perhaps read the comics.

• So the fact that he's a sadistic psychopath and mass murderer is something you can overlook? What if your brother wanted to date the female equivalent of that? What would your advice be?

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2011/11/joker6.jpg

If you love someone go for it... Love is putting the person before you. If that girl makea him feel happy Why not?

Love is blind. If you go solely by what you're feeling, without using your HEAD, you'll end up in bad situations, and whatever happens to you then is your own fault. What do you think happens to the wives of criminals and dictators after the "fun" is over? They end up dead or in prison. They often become killers or rapists themselves, or at least accessories to these crimes.

It's fine to feel some kind of dark attraction to the Joker. I feel it for Harley Quinn as well, but I'd never ever date her, since I possess something called "common sense" which knows that deep down she is pure evil. Don't confuse attraction or infatuation with love. Girls who always go for bad guys are being led by their hormones, same as guys who go for the "hot" girl without even considering her personality or values.

• There's nothing weird about you, you just like bad boys like most women.

I don't like bad guys... I just feel sympathy towards some guys.

That are bad boys. They fill you up with desire

• i'd date harley quinn ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• You and your sister romanticize bad boys.

Sometimes people are assholes. You might be sympathetic regarding how they turned out that way, but it doesn't make dating them s good idea.

Your love won't fix them.

Well... I dated a sociopath before... he treated me very well. Much better than how most guys treat their girl

• It's clearly got nothing to do with loneliness. He has Harley and he still beats her, uses her as a shield and commits mass murder of men, women and children

What Girls Said 7

• Joker is a psychopath he is incapable of love. He abused Harley and used her a pawn to further his agenda. I believe he used her as bait several times.

I believe that there's a underlying issues that no one understands...

Well... I did experience him putting me before him.

One good act doesn't make up for all the bad.

• This is the most idiot shit I've seen today. Girl, why you suh stoooopid?

• Yes, you're insane

• Joker is obviously one smart guy. He was also an engineer by profession I believe.

I can totally see why people are intrigued by him, even sympathy. But dating that guy?

He is a mad guy. A mad, cruel guy who is capable of doing God knows what to someone.

I do think he is a very complex person who is intriguing but I don't think a man like that has the capacity to care or love another person especially not a woman

• maybe you like a guy that treats you like shit

• It doesn't sound normal. You could say you feel sympathy towards him, that's fine. But you'd date him? really? i think you might just think he's an interesting, spontaneous character but he's crazy. Like mentally ill.

• You clearly have no clue how badly he treated harley...

How?

Then he dont love her but that dont men he won't love another girl

He's incapable of loving anyone other than himself.