Do you think a movie should be rated R if it showed nudity for the sake of historical accuracy but didn't have any other R-rated content?

Like if someone wanted to make a movie about the destruction of the Minoan civilization by the eruption of Santorini. In the Minoan civilization, women walked around with dresses that exposed their breasts

And if you tried using Godiva hair or convenient hand placement after a while it would look ridiculous. So if someone made a movie about this and had the actresses wear the dresses but there wasn't any sexual content in the film should it still be rated R because of that.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• @465loveyou5577
    You should REALLY do some research on the MPAA.
    They are a HIGHLY corrupt organization.
    Those ratings,
    Its been shown that they are purposefully stricter with indie films and non big studio films than they are with the major studios.
    Why, Well probably because its FUNDED BY THE STUDIOS.
    Furthermore, the ratings are EXTREMELY arbitrary,
    "he independent film Saints and Soldiers, which contains no nudity, almost no sex (although, there is a scene in which a German soldier is about to rape a French woman), very little profanity, and a minimum of violence, was said to have been rated R for a single clip where a main character is shot and killed, and required modification of just that one scene to receive a PG-13 rating."
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system
    Now take a look at Saving Private Ryan, which by all rights SHOULD be NC-17
    what is it, R.
    Yep.
    The MPAA is fucked the hell up.

Basically, the MPAA doesn't actually give a shit about the content of a film, they only care about making a choice that benefits the big studio films everyone else be damned

thanks for mho

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't get why children shouldn't be exposed to bare breasts, it harms no one.

What Guys Said 13

• LOL, reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_295f530E

Anyway, in my opinion the US is far too prudish about nudity. In your context, the breasts are not sexual at all, and should at best be PG13. R is ridiculous - but mothers will freak out if their perfect little angels see a naked tit on the big screen!

www.richmondteaparty.com/.../Horror.jpg

• no, not at all. the body is something natural and the only reason why it's so sexualized is because we make a taboo out of it from the beginning. Do you think in the Minoan civilization guys were perving on boobs all the time? No, it was considered something completely natural and nobody gave a shit.

By making it a taboo you achieve the opposite of what you want. You don't protect kids by doing it.

It's mind-boggling how much nudity is a problem in the US. And 41% saying yes... wow

it depends a bit on what the movie is about, but if it goes into the documentary direction... no way

• I think in those cases it is okay to keep it at General Certification, the nudity is not sexual maybe Under 12A or equivalent (In Ireland U12A would be under 12s have to be accompanied by an adult)

• Yes I think it should be rated R. kids can still go see a rated R movie as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Most of the time theaters do not even check anyway. Rating a movie R is not a bad thing it's just a rating.

Could you answer my question.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2112691-was-i-wrong-to-ask-for-the-money-back

• You can get away with brief nudity at a lower rating but if you had a non-documentary full of topless women, you are going to get an R rating.

• Yes. Parents with children should know what's in the movie so they can make an educated decision whether they want their child to see it. Or they want to see it themselves.

• watch kirikou and the sorceress
    black tits everywhere :)

• Ratings are idiotic in the first place. However, nudity is nudity.

• No, I don't. I've got another question for you though, related to this one- do you feel that a movie should be banned if it had sexual content which would now be deemed illegal for the sake of historical accuracy? For instance, if some decided to make a film adaptation of Romeo and Juliet which stuck to the source material, explicitly clarifying Juliet's age of 13yrs old and using an age-appropriate actress (a 9yr old girl, since the average 13yr old girl back then would have had the same level of sexual development as the average 9yr old girl today- i. e, NONE) to play the role, should that person be allowed, or should it be banned because of that taboo element? Or if someone wanted to produce a film about Genghis Khan which featured him engaging in his self-proclaimed favorite pastime of raping all the wives and daughters of his defeated enemies, dozens at a time every single night, should that person be allowed to produce that film, or should it be banned because of the horrific actions portrayed?

Banned no but it should get an R rating.

Well, the R ratings in these cases would hardly be up for dispute, would they?

• nope, here they even showed "The name of the rose" on Free TV including the completely nude sex scene (just for artistic and historical reasons xD )

• I'm trying to remember, I think the U. S. R is equivalent to our AA, or close to it (our R is closer to NC-17 but a little lower).

Uh, I don't know. I think our rating system is better than yours. I'd make it AA.

• nope shouldn't

• Yeah if it shows nudity it should be R-rated, that's the point of the ratings

Then why are children allowed in an Art Museum?

Cause they don't mind it and their parents let them. If they don't mind watching R-rated films and their parents let them then they can too. The rating is just so they know

What Girls Said 2

• I think it depends on how and what you're showing. If it is a lot, then yes. I understand that my breast aren't shameful but I get why some people would prefer their kids not to see that.

• In that context PG13 should be fine I think.