Can I get sued if I do this?

I'm designing a concert tshirt of the fictional band The Weird Sisters (Harry Potter), based on an existing popular concert tee. This is going way better than I expected and I'm thinking of selling the design on Etsy (as a poster or something). Would this be illegal, considering copyrights?

For example:
Can I get sued if I do this??

2mo *the image is not mine

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you'll be okay cuz I don't expect you to make millions of dollars or anything like that. However what would happen if the copyright holders were uptight would be to send you a cease-and-desist letter asking you to stop selling the shirt. If you continued then they might see you. However I suspect you're still okay. I'm not all that familiar with Harry Potter although I do like the movies. What in this design is specific from Harry Potter? For instance is Ravenclaw the house that the weird sisters we're from? In the slogan above what is wit?

Thank you for your answer, it's very helpful!

The design is original concerning Harry Potter, the point I was worrying about was that I'm kinda "editing" an existing tour-shirt design to fit the Harry Potter theme.

Like the example design is actually the logo of the band Ramones

Most Helpful Girl

• The Ramones logo... Its a pretty well known logo and I think some would find it kinda funny. I think to be safe maybe find out who exactly owns the legal rights to the logo and ask permission. It has more to do with the registered trademark (the logo) not the copyright laws. Marky Ramone might see that and be like "wtf?" Its a cool idea but that logo is trademarked and who knows what might happen. Better safe than sorry.

thanks, you might be right about that

the Ramones logo isn't mine, just an example hahaha. But I could tweet the artist :P

Lol tweet it to everyone, make it viral and get Marky Ramone to give you his blessing on using it 👍🏻 😆
      Just a thought lol

What Guys Said 3

• You should be okay - I would class it as fan art

• That's a vague area of copyright. You might get sued although the chances are very low.

• Do it anyways... kekekekekeee!!!

What Girls Said 1

• I have no idea, but there are websites like qwertees that sell t-shirts with this kind of fanarts. If they do that, I guess it's fine? However, asking the rights owner, like it's already been suggested, would be the safe thing to do.