Did you ever read Romeo and Juliet? Do you love it or hate it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I read it for school when I was about 14. I think it's great as a story about how the younger generations can be the hope for a more peaceful future, and as a story about TEEN "love" -- but I don't really see it as a story about TRUE love.

After all, Romeo was pining after another chick, when he suddenly met and fell for Juliet and forgot all about the other one, lol. If the girls were somehow reversed, I could easily see Juliet being the one that Romeo forgets, in favor of the other.

So I don't really like it as a picture of "true love", but more so as a great story about "teen love": how naive and capricious teens are, but also how passionate they can feel in the moment, and how innocent and fully their affection is for those whom they're infatuated with. Very young people more often let their guard down completely when they're really into someone, as compared to older people -- even people who are married to each other. But it's based on being naive, so it's hard for me to call it "true love".

Nonetheless, their feelings are undeniably strong (sometimes making them willing to die for those feelings), so this is a great story about that age and that part of the human condition.

Most Helpful Girl

• I appreciate the whole 'star-crossed lovers' concept, as it's inspired many other stories and R&J is a classic, but it's unrealistic how they fall that much in love with each other in a second when they didn't even know each other. I don't believe in falling in love only with a person's looks and I certainly don't believe in 'love at first sight''. That's not love. There are many great love stories out there and Romeo and Juliet, in my opinion, is not one of them.

What Guys Said 10

• I read it in high school. I haven't read it since then. I was indifferent.

• Romeo and Juliet is a Play written by William Shakespeare about two young lovers whose death reconciles their feuding families. It's tragedy. written in a poetic dramatic structure. The play switches between comedy and tragedy to heightened tension. Lot of people say it is the greatest play of all time. It is a classic and I like the story although I feel sad that the greatest lovers of all times had to die in this way.

• 30 years ago in school - It was okay

• yeah I've read it, it's a classic, I liked it.

• Read it, was just as boring as I'd thought

• nah but when i was like 13 i did a quest in a game called runescape that was based off it was a pretty shit quest so ill assume the book is 2

• Never read it, but I know the general story. Don't really want to read it, sounds pretty boring and the writing makes it hard to understand and unrelatable. Chances are I'm gonna have to read it at some point during high school though.

• Nah, nobody have time to waste for that drama..

• Yes I read it in 6th Grade.

• meh... it was boring for me

What Girls Said 6

• I've never read the book, but I've seen a few movie versions of the story. I like it, but I wouldn't put it down as one of my favourite stories

• I read it in middle school. liked it, more because of Shakespeare's writing than because of the actual story. I strongly prefer A Midsummer Night's Dream and Hamlet.

• read it. It's a classic book ofc. But it's over-hyped. Mostly because of the tragic ending and the whole forbidden love thing. Has some good points. But meh, There are much better books that Shakespeare wrote.

• hate it. there's no need to commit suicide just because he can't have her. there's a lot more options he can do

• Yeah read it my freshman year of high school.
    It was ok.

• I've read it when I was in high school and I really loved it.