Are you tired of movies that are just remakes?

Seriously, what happened to all of the genuine ideas? It seems like every other movie is a remake of an older movie.
Here are some:
- The Mummy
- Fantastic Four
- Van Helsing
- I Am Legend
- Ben Hur
- 13 Assassins
- About Last Night
- Alfie
- And Soon the Darkness
- Annie
- Arthur
- Beauty and the Beast
- Black Christmas
- Bride Wars
- Brothers
- Carrie
- Catch That Kid
- Clash of the Titans
- The Crazies
- Dark Water
- Dinner for Schmucks
- Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
- The Eye
- The Firm
- Flight of the Phoenix
- Footloose
- Four Brothers
- Gambit
- Godzilla
- The Hills Have Eyes
- I Am Omega
- The Karate Kid
- King Kong
- Knock Knock
- The Mechanic
- 20 Once Again
Okay, so I only got to "m". But the list continues, and I think we all get the point.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it depends... if the original movie came out a loooong time ago (like, say, The Beauty and the Beast by French filmmaker Cocteau which came out in 1946) then I think it's fun to see the movie's potential using today's special effects, high resolution, 3D etc... that being said, I usually prefer the original.

Most Helpful Guy

• The whole idea of movie studios doing remakes in the past 10 years or so, is because of the economic recession.

Companies tend to be uber-conservative and take VERY little risk, when the economy is bad. Makes sense seeing that EVERYONE has less money to spend, and is way more selective with every purchase.

Why take the risk on making a completely original movie or movie series and having it flop...
    ...
    ...
    ... when the movie studio can simply remake a classic movie that was ALREADY successful, that people already like and are familiar with (therefore less risk), and spice it up with special effects to make the movie appear "new" and modern"?

That model seems to be working! These movies make good numbers at the box office, so people are obviously watching them.

The only way to make the remake-train stop, is for enough people to stop seeing these films so they flop.

#SmartBusiness

What Girls Said 8

• Not really no, a lot of remakes were for movies that happened either when I was really young, wasn't born, or just didn't see so it makes no difference to me. Plus they've been pretty good.

• Hollywood folks are just running out of steam I guess

• Yes. Why is Blair Witch a movie again? WTF?

• The mummy was an awesome remake

• I don't care

• I'm tired of American movie who are always the same;..

• I have been sick of remakes for awhile now, especially all the horror ones. Hollywood just wants to make money that is why no new ideas come around. They know they can make money on an already famous title. Hollywood needs to knock it off with the remakes and start thinking.

• Yes!! Its like no body can come up with an original idea these days...

What Guys Said 5

• Some of them are ok, but most remakes are crap.

• I never took to the idea of remakes, it just seems lazy

• Its very rare that I like remakes, especially when they remake movies that are considered classics, they usually are not as good as the original.

• yes, they need to stop milking these franchises.

• yes it suckss