Do you know about the origins of rap music?

This song was released in 1977. It is the obvious inspiration for all rap music!

Most Helpful Girl

• Rapping is also used in Kwaito music, a genre that originated in Johannesburg, South Africa, and is composed of hip-hop elements. Another form of rap that predates hip hop was Muhammad Ali's rhythmic poetry used to taunt his opponents in the 1960s and 1970s.

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually, the rhyming used in rap is actually often just poetry, well people who can ACTUALLY Rap well are essentially poets.
    Tupac Shakur for Example.
    Take Some Shakespeare for example, and you'll see some very lewd rhymes.
    DEMETRIUS
    Villain, what hast thou done?
    AARON
    That which thou canst not undo.
    CHIRON
    Thou hast undone our mother.
    AARON
    Villain, I have done thy mother.
    Titus Andronicus,
    But essentially GOOD Rap is often musical poetry.
    Bad Rap, like a lot of what you see these days Cough Jay-z Cough.
    Is just noise

What Girls Said 8

• Rap and hip Hop actually have ancient Egyptian origins from what I discovered. So in actually all those head count beats and everything else came from there. Its just not the exact same as the style today. But I love old school Rap and Dj's from the past like Grand Master Flash. But this isn't what you would call inspiration of Rap music. The producer of this artist is using similar elements. In fact House, deep house, rock, jazz, R & B uses the same beats. That is what actually count other than melody.

• Historical note: even though his work didn't influence the development of rap, some of Bo Diddly's songs show many of the characteristics of it.

And he's not the only one. Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and other Delta Blues men had and undeniable influence on Rock n'' roll, both here in the US and The UK

@Aqualung Singing, without a doubt.

I tend to agree because of the songs chorus, but the rest is great storytelling, but i guess with melody. Why do you say singing "without a doubt"/?

• Yes, I know the origins of rap music, but it's not a genre I particularly care about.

neither do I, MB5

Hey, I'm sory for blocking you. I understand your point about art & music completely

I was being pissy because I was angry for having a post removed for being antagonistic to this woman who was, in fact being antagonistic towards @olderandwiser , like the worst Iv'e ever seen

• Ahhhh... good ole James Taylor ☺️

• Spoken word has existed for centuries.

• It has something to do with African music, and African storytelling.
    You know, there are people who didn't/don't have a writing system, so theyn use oral communication to tell their stories, rap has influence from it.

• Nope

• Yes I do. Rap actually came from Jamaica

What Guys Said 7

• I never heard that song before - Yes I could see how a connection can be made.

• Inspiration for ALL rap music?

• RUN DMC and the Beastie Boys made it popular..

• Lol poets used to rap in ancient greece.

• Good conversation going on here. What do you think about Jazz "Scat" singing's effect. Extremely popular. Jazz Singers like Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie are famous from it?

In general, I enjoy mot light jazz - Gato Barbieri, Michael Franks, George Benson, Al DiMeola, Chuck Mangione, Jackiem Joyner, etc. - but I am not a fan of the scat style. I can see its influence on rap.

I also listen to classical (and attend symphony concerts,) classic rock, and progressive rock like Alan Parsons Project, Kansas, Renaissance, etc. I play piano and percussion and sing in my church choir (I am Lutheran so we sing Bach works in the original German text.)

Yes, progressive jazz is too difficult for me to listen to on a consistent basis. It's like eating crab legs: too much work to get to the meat.

yeah, I listen to those genres as well and love the classical italian Arias, just like miss congeniality (who blocked me) . hell hath no fury. I also like Bluegrass , Zydeco, Jug Bands, Cajun. Our folk music here is phenomenal.

• It's eerily similar to tribal music in Africa.

According to someone I knew that went there.

• Don't forget to add Frank Zappa's "Trouble Every day" from 1966...