Is "gangsta rap" dead now?

Back in the 90's and early 00's gangster rap was going off. Even me as a wimpy and slightly sexually confused white teenager had a CD collection which included the likes of "Dr" Dre and Wu Tang.
But now, the only popular rappers (and correct me if I'm wrong) are dick flops like Drake (not even proper rap) and J-Z. These guys are really just main stream piss stains compared to the rappers of the 90's and the only actual gangster rappers are all really underground and you never hear about them.

So does all this spell the end of gangster rap?

*On a side note nobody is rocking FUBU or even just baggy jeans and too big shirts anymore either*

• Yes it's dead
  • No, you're just out of touch with reality and it's still popular
  • A less straightforward explanation

Most Helpful Girl

• I know a lot of people who are into Kevin Gates, Young Thug, Chief Keef, and Hopsin. Don't listen to rap myself, but they're popular in my area.

See I've heard of one of those names. That's how much it's leaking into mainstream knowledge

Must be cause I have no idea lol

I'm going to have to tell all my black friends that this little white girl knows something about gangsta rap, definitely.

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 8

• Yeah. Now what they consider Gangsta Rap is pure bullshit, which is no surprise, most rappers today don't know how to put 2 rhymes together without screaming like a dying pig, or laughing like an idiot. They try to look badass and gangsta, but they look fucking stupid.

You can tell the lack of quality in today's rap when today the only way they have to be gangstas is the way they look, while back in the day it was the rhymes. Today they try to look scary or whatever, back in the day, their music was scary.

I really like Gangsta Rap, so it's a shame it has died to leave space for this pussy ass "rappers" we have today.

• thats just they way it is...

things will never be the same...

thats just the way it is...

ah yeahh...

• Yes sadly 😕 hence why I hate this new age shit.

• Gangsta Rap has been dead for a while (2007ish or at most 2009). Once the skinny hipster look became mainstream, no one outside the hood thought the hood thing was cool anymore. I loved the music that was produced by it though (more 90s). Just funky straight adrenaline filled rapping with flow and with a thuggery background. Obviously I hope no one took it seriously like no one should take WWE as reality. One of my favs is Lil' 1/2 Dead.

• Drake takes many shots to the face, Jut not by a gun.

• It's still alive, but not popular and limp compared from between '92 and '01. Granted Dr. Dre and Wutang weren't really gangsta or hardcore rap either..

• real gangster rap will never die
    i1.kym-cdn.com/.../3b2.jpg

• I hope to god it is