What tips would you give someone for writing characters of the opposite sex?

Most Helpful Guy

• For a woman writing about a man, men are less intimidated by situations. They are less fearful in general, yet are more likely to be the victim of an attack.

I suppose the hardest would be getting the same gender counteractions correct. How they talk to each other without men or women hearing.

Most Helpful Girl

• Just don't think much about it and don't let that hold you back. Write the characters how you want and you can worry about the rest later.

What Guys Said 6

• Think of a couple guys you know and base a character's mannerisms and personality on one of them or a combination of them. I've written a few female characters that way and even I believed they were legit. But honestly, you're going to be more critical of your writing than anyone else will, so you're probably doing better than you think already. Good luck!

• I would come up with the scenarios and talk to relatives/friends of the opposite gender about them - Get their views then add my own thoughts to choose how my characters would act

• Don't put too much emphesis on the fact they are of the opposite sex.
    If they're a woman soldier, then make them a good soldier that happens to be a woman.
    Treat the odd things in-universe as normal and the viewer will too.

• this is where plenty of experience of being around the opposite sex would come into play else your just making it up

• Based your characters off of people you interact with the day to day basis. Tweak certain things to fit your plot, but overall make them seem like ordinary people

• You could know about them..

What Girls Said 1

• Base your character off someone you know that is the opposite gender