Why does it seem like Anime has a bigger following and widely discused more than Westernized Animation?

I have noticed Anime has a bigger following and larger discussion thread than Westernized Animation. Why do you think that is? Could it might be because we see Anime more geared to adults and mature audiences and most western animation is more geared to children/teens? Or do you think that it could work both ways?

Most Helpful Girl

• Anime has more genres, a wider age group that it focuses on, more in depth stories, and tells it like it is. I know that a lot of things that happen in anime would never happen in western animation due to sensitivity.

Most Helpful Guy

• You bring up a good point that a greater amount of Anime is made with the viewpoint that animation is not necessarily just for kids. I mean, if you really step back and think about it, animation is just a medium of illustration. There is nothing that makes it inherently childish.

We don't say that still photographs are "for adults" while still paintings are "for kids" haha, so I don't see why there is that attitude sometimes when it comes to live-action vs. animated motion pictures.

I know. a lot of the newer Westernized animation is actually being geared to and has a following with twentysomethings. Whereas 10 years ago there was a higher level ofimmaturity where western animation was really nothing more than fart or toilet humor, but now newer stuff has less of it but is more actiony like Gravity Falls for example

What Girls Said 3

• I think because the storylines often (not always) have more depth to them.

• Because anime = awesome sauce.

• Cause weebs are fuckin' weird

What Guys Said 19

• I think it's mostly because of the range, when it comes to animation aimed at adults there's family guy American dad, bobs burgers and that's it really, there aren't a lot of them

When it comes to anime with all the studios, genres and different stories/characters you can find the niche you like

etc. There's more reasons then that but. . .

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

I do agree Anime has a lot more freedom with their stories and characters. However like I have metioned Western Animation is kinda picking up again because a lot of the modern shows are more plot based and un predictable. I think Western Animation is slowly moving out of the SpongeBob and Minion phase

I might have to check them out, how about their story lines / tones then? I don't think it'll match up to this, these little kids get carved up and after that there's a mass rape scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL_ay0F5qcs

Star and Gravity Falls have slow build ups like episode to episode. Loud House is good but its more of a peanuts style cartoon done in a Sunday funnies comic kinda way

• Because Western animation is shit. Kid stuff is pretty much retarded as fuck. Like Spongebob. He's pretty much mentally challenged. And this is what kids enjoy? No. Compared to something like Naruto with deep philosophy which actually shows kids how to deal with isolation and feelings of anger or hatred or sadness, teaching morality and self-identity and thought, how could Spongebob even begin to compare?

Then you have adult cartoon series like Futurama and Family Guy. Again. What is the common denominator? Mentally challenged characters. American animation is riddled with nonsensical bullshit that means literally nothing. Just cheap jokes. South Park would be an exception; though, I believe it is just that: an exception. It lacks any degree of relatable depth.

Japanese anime is worlds beyond the tedious fuckary of American animation.

And I suppose you could say anime is more geared towards adults and mature audiences. But on the same level, what is adult cartoon entertainment in the U. S? Drawn Together. This repulsive piece of shit cartoon. Shit entertainment--literally, with, again, the common denominator of retarded characters.

More, there seems to be some degree of identifying American cartoons as "childish". Meaning, many people would be embarrassed to say that they watch cartoons or anime--though, some series seem to have amnesty, such as Family Guy and Futurama and South Park and such. Perhaps it's not that taboo, but there is at least a slight taboo. Whereas, to my knowledge, this does not exist in Japan. Therefore, there is more money spent on Japanese animation, targeted to all audiences, than there is in the U. S.

The wonderful thing about animation is that you can do anything. Far out ideas and incredible fantasy that just can't be duplicated. Well, more so now with CGI, but animation is still much more adaptable to anything. It is a wonderful thing. I love it.

I'm writing a anime. Everyone says it's werird and horrifying

• Since anime has a lot more genres as well as age-ranges within its audience.

Also japanese entertainment has a thing for how to suck people in, including fan-services, etc. Things that western animations barely do.

• Because it's more warried and awesome. You can watch comic book cartoons for only so much until you're bored of them constantly reusing the same old stories. I mean - comic books are not written in a format that permits them to have a begining and end.
    Supermand has died how many times now?
    How many versions of each character have there been?

The same problem does not apply to anime. I felt my emotional investement in Naruto pay off when it actually had it's ending in the manga (and had the final fight in the Anime recently). I will never have anything of the sort with Western stuff since there is no end.

Some Westernized Animations have had a proper ending

Plenty of Anime shows which never ended as well. Like Pokemon and the Dragonball saga- Goku has died how many times now?

@SinghSong let's put it this way:

Most western cartoons are without an end but a few have it.
      Most animes are with an end but few aren't.

Agree?

• There isn't nearly as much Western Animation that tells more mature stories like that. It's almost all comedy, and almost all Seth fucking Macfarlane.

This is why Batman: TAS and X-Men are held in such high regard, because they told good stories.

There is still the perception that animation is for children, so kid oriented stuff is most likely to get greenlighted. Stuff like Duckman paved the way for adult-oriented shows, and Adult Swim has done so much for adult oriented animation in the last 15 or so years, but it's still niche and looked upon by the wider society as weirdo millennials/Gen Xers/manchildren.

• Maybe because a lot of the animation on basic cable went downhull,
    Family guy
    The simpsons,
    Sure Archer, Rick and Morty, and Bob's s Burgers are good but their audience mostly young adults

• Anime has more effort than western animation, and tells more compelling stories than that of western animation.

Most western animation now is used for gimmicks, jokes, or for children. Anime often contains more mature themes, like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Full Metal Alchemist.

• it could work both ways actually

• More geared towards Adults. Anime tends to have deeper, richer, more thought out stories than Western animation does from what I've seen and heard about.

Some of the newer Western Animations have deeper storylines but the violence and sexuality isn't there like in Anime

yeah, it's usually contains more mature content.

• Because western animation sucks ass.

• I can't speak for others, but I like the art style of anime MUCH more, which is essential for me liking it.
    Also, the stories, how they are told, the culture, etc... all much more appealing to me.

• Anime is shown more for all ages while you're kind of taught cartoons are for children, well that's my view point on it anyways. Anime I suppose looks kind of childish too but in reality if you have watched any 18+ anime, it really isn't...

To the people down voting, I've watched day fair share of cartoons still like adventure time but that's how I see it, I think cartoons are perceived "for children".

• Westernized animation is usually more vapid than anime

• Cause you're a weeaboo and mos toehold on here are weeaboos talking about anime?

• I find both weird to be honest.

• Because western animation sucks. Next question.

• western animation is for kids and they don't talk about that stuff online

• Western animation these days suck. It's not like how it used to be.

• Because weirdos and nerds far outnumber us normal folk.

Whats wrong with Nerds

Watches animated cartoons with a vide warriety of different types of characters - weirdo.
      Watches spandex wearing heroes with their underwear on the outside fighting spandex wearing criminals with their underwear on the outside - normal.