What Are Your Thoughts On 1980s Popular Music?

I Love 1980s Popular Music A Lot Of Musicians I Love Are From The 1980s

1mo @madhatters4 @MrAtticusLebowski @Likes2drive @WhiteSteve @OlderandWiser @Dipsy @Saoirise_Nua @abc3643 @lightbulb27 @HorrorFan @Zorax @paris13 @datgirl @Empatheticlady

Most Helpful Girl

• I love all Kinds of Music, no Matter the Era.
    However, with Hearing the 80's they are real Cool and many Times on my own Radio, the Disc Jockey will Play them, for he must Like them Himself, @Red88xxx
    Good luck and Great question, Thanks for Sharing. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• The 1980s was the last decade where radio was important and relevant. It was also the last point in time when listening to the radio meant that you were exposed to multiple genres at once. It was also the decade where genres became so very divergent. As a program director for a top 40 radio station, you had to be able to spin Michael Jackson next to Def Leppard, Duran Duran next to the Scorpions, Madonna next to Van Halen. It was a huge challenge that ultimately destroyed radio markets as they existed. If you liked hard rock and AC/DC was on, great, but the next tune would be some British synth pop and you changed the station.

As an artifact from the 80s myself, and a lover of many styles of music, this was the charm of 80s music: multiple genres mixed together. And there really were only a few: pop, r&b, rock, and later, rap. Millennials have REALLY specific names for genres. It's not that it's bad… it has its own charm. But they are very confusing to an old fart like me.

The 80s were also the last decade where musicianship was really valued as much as singing and songwriting. To a large extent, guitar solos were overdone and, from the 90s on, guitar solos became extinct. In the 80s, you could even be famous for being a keyboard player: Thomas Dolby, Nick Rhodes, Jan Hammer come to mind. That kind of thing just doesn't happen anymore. It's not a lack of talent, it's just what's important has changed.

Dude I still listen to radio and in the 1990s Radio station was still Incredible Popular

@Red88xxx thank you for creating this awesome dialog.

@HaveNoName @Red88xxx

Thank you both for being so engaging on I topic I love to discuss!

What Girls Said 2

• G-N-R👍
    Best album, Appetite For Destruction

• Some of them I do like, for example, the songs from Grease or Dirty Dancing.

What Guys Said 13

• Kyle in the South Park episode "Mechastreisand" says it best about The Cure's 1989 masterpiece...

https://youtu.be/cwA8V6hcqQo

lyriquediscorde.files.wordpress.com/.../cure.jpg

• Very positive thoughts. I think 80's music is the best. Old school Hip-Hop, Electro, and Funk was best.

• It would take me all day to list the songs I like, haha. Grew up on 80s and 90s stuff👍👍

• I never liked "popular"(mainstream) music, but I do like 80's music... mostly electronic.

You don't like any popular 80s music?

Where are you from?

Croatia

• 80s pop music is what defined the 80s-90s and today. Madonna, Thompson Twins, INXS, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi

• I always liked the 80s music better, Men at Work and even Madonna

• I am and will always be an 80s music junky. That was the time I was in college and that is when I started listening to chart music from all over the world. It was the golden decade and came up with tonnes of evergreen music.

It is in fact disgusting to compare music from that era with any other decade since. 2000-2010 was the worse. Thank God country music has made a big resurgence after fusing with southern rock and that is keeping some sanity alive.

• I have heard some songs... but I like summer of 69 and last Christmas by wham... they r my all time favourite... Feels nostalgic to me although I don't belong to 80s lol...

• Too campy, too happy, too plastic.

• That would have been my teens - Lots of good memories

• i lived it and have to say it was all really terrible but is see 'pop' as utter rubbish in any decade

alternative music in the 80s however shaped everthing outside pop that we listen to today

• It was good

• compared to today's music, it sucks.