What are tips on dealing with writers block while writing a novel outline?

I do not do outlines usually so getting writers block while doing an outline is new to me

Most Helpful Guy

• Brainstorm multiple different options. Do multiple different outlines at once, in other words, and edit as you go. Some writers like to come up with outlines with a partner, somebody smart who can bounce ideas back. Or a group of friends. Most writers try to find another writer or a writer's group to belong to for precisely this reason. You still retain final creative control, just remember that. And here's a pro-tip, you solve writer's block by writing something else, not by taking a break from writing. You should take breaks from writing all the time, but never for writer's block. That's the real reason being an author is a lonely life. It takes all your time to write, not just when you're writing. The writing itself is sometimes the easiest part, and if that's not true for you, then you need to write more. A good rule of thumb is, you should write at least a thousand words per day and you should eventually delete more than half of what you write, because it's GARBAGE, and you can do better.

http://i.4cdn.org/pol/1477199998479.jpg

I get anxiety sometimes when i get writers block

Try one of those whatchamacallits where you speak into a little headset and it transcribes what you say in a word processor, like something called "Dragon software" or something? Or maybe there's a cell phone app, I think everything is apps now, I'm too old school for this, but you know, text-to-type or whatever?

What Guys Said 11

• thewritepractice.com/.../yellowshiritori.jpg

Seriously this game is like your best friend for writers block! Encounter it quite often myself. Play this game, and you'll be glad you did:).

Good luck fellow writer, SRS 😎

• I'm an artist not a writer but just bring up a new blank page and just start writting something. What ever you want how ever you want. After you get over the block go back to your writing.

• Do something else, go for a walk, read etc. Anything to get your brain to do something else and then come back to it. That's generally what works best because writers block basicly is when your brain gets stuck in the same thinking pattern so by doing something else it breaks the pattern and helps you look at the issue from a different perspective.

• Whenever I have writers block I just head out to downtown , or go to the park or just go out for a long long ride.
    Can't think of inspiration locked behind 4 walls.

I tried that today and I still have the block

Well take it from your own relationship experience then.

Also the novel outline is getting really long. I wrote the first draft 3 months ago. im not sure why im stumped now.

• I'm not a professional writer, and personally, i've never outlined any of my stories (if you mean what i think you do). But mt advice is to let the ideas unfold naturally. In other words, don't be afraid to make mistakes and take chances. Let yourself write crap so that you can tune it later.
    I don't normally experience writers block anymore, but when i do, it's usually because I'm worried i won't be able to write to my highest caliber.
    I'm not sure what your block stems from, but if your worried about it not being perfect right off the bat, that's okay, nothing is. I don't like preaching so i apologize. but hope it helps.

I usually do not outline my stories. This is the first time I have outlined a novel. I already wrote the first draft which is 113,000 words

• Don't know much about that but I would think if you go out and take a break for awhile something may come to you

• I find my most creative thoughts come when I'm away from my work. I write songs so there's guitar, bass, vocals (not that I can sing), lyrics to write. I've never recorded professionally or anything, but that's what helps me

• I'm a musician/composer, so maybe it's a bit different, but I'll stop and whip out my classical guitar or piano book and try playing something hard out of it. Or I'll just take a little break and go do something completely different for a while.

• Work on another novel. It keeps your imagination from getting tired of the same thing.

• Take a break. Sometimes taking a break, lets you regain your thoughts

• Listen to focus at will in you tube. It's free there.

What Girls Said 0