Sherlock, the best show on TV, is FINALLY returning in 2017! Thoughts?

When Sherlock debuted on the BBC, it was clearly head-and-shoulders above any other television show in existence. The first three seasons offer some of the most stirring and intelligent hours anybody can have in front of a screen.

Unfortunately, we've been waiting and waiting and WAITING for Season 4 and for a while there, it didn't look like it'd ever happen. Benedict Cumberbatch has gone on to make big bucks in Hollywood (though all those roles are well beneath his talent) and Martin Freeman found fame in Lord of the Rings, so they were understandably employed elsewhere.

But now they're back and Season 4 is set to premiere on January 1, 2017! Teaser trailer here:

This trailer is a little too action-y, but I'm assuming that's for the simple sake of titillation and promotion and I would HOPE the series doesn't actually go too far in that direction. Its intelligence is what has always set it apart...

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't Care for "Sherlock Holmes." This is in the Line of The "Harry Potter" Movies and Their Sequels. Books as well. In fact, I was Speaking to Someone a few weeks back, who had Said the Last one that was Done, was not the Author's Best.
    There are just Much you can do with a Series. I don't even Watch Soaps anymore.
    @jman46241 I think You had mentioned you Watched Sherlocks? I will send an Invite. Thanks. xx

@jman4621 I see you didn't find the time to come. Maybe you and You Rode off with Potter's Sorceress and Philosopher. Both made of stone.

@john52461 I would Appreciate your Mature Insight on this Mature Matter. Catch u later too. Thanks. xx

@john52461 lol II did both, and even Writer of plays. Also some Karaoke and now this GAG Gig. lolxx

• 3d

Thank you for the Vote of Confidence. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• The show wasn't/isn't head and shoulders above any tv show out there by any stretch, in my opinion. But I love the show and I'm stoked for it to come out

What Girls Said 9

• Ehh. I dolike the show and I think that Andrew Scott is absolutely amazing as Moriarty and I'm pretty much only going to continue watching in the hopes that I get to see Moran come into play <3 I hate Cumberbatch and Freeman and I really don't like the writers very much either so hopefully awaiting Moran and Moriarty together is the only thing that's really keeping me interested.

• That would be awesome! But... I've been burn before when it comes to them... They reschedule so much - with such late notice... I'll be waiting a bit longer before I actually get hyped up.

• I just love this show also! Good to hear!

• I only watched it because I find Benedict sexy as hell. Lol

• Yes. I'm excited. There are rumors that the villain this time might be the third and oldest brother that no one knows about. There were also rumors that he'll be played by Tom Hiddleston. I doubt if that's true but I'm excited regardless :D

• It's about damn time! I watched the entire season during an immersion trip I was on, though it's a hard show to binge watch due to episode length.

• Never watched the series.

• This news has made my day!

• I seriously can't wait!!! Ever since I watched it when it first came out I've been hooked. Since then I've watched it over multiple times.

What Guys Said 10

• Mother fucking yes. It's been too long.

• Can't wait! Sometimes the BBC can do good things.

I finished power watching black mirror... god-fucking-damn that shits good 😱. Y'all also didn't do too bad with peaky blinders

• Yeah I love it - It is a superb show

• glad you like it but i would suggest the viewing figures show it to be no where near as good as top gear ;)

If you're talking about popularity, there's an inverse relationship between quality and popularity in this world. The better it is, the less the masses are going to like it. The dumber it is, the more popular it is... hence, Honey Boo-Boo, The Kardashians, and more embarrassingly stupid shit. :P

fair comment but on that logic surely educational or thought provoking documentaries rather than simple entertainment shows have more merit

Well, of course they have more merit. And they're not a fraction as popular as the brainless crap.

• Well, it's about time :)

• That whole bringing back Moriarty thing instantly discouraged me from watching it.

• gets about time.

one of the few shows I watch

• My theory based on that trailer is: Sherlock has lost it and become his own Moriarty.

• very excited. i've missed this show.

• can't fucking wait