Ladies, what issues do you have with men who write novels through the eyes of`female characters?

What is it about when a man is writing down a woman's thoughts that he is getting wrong or that you just don't like?

Is there something that he does right and you want more of?

8

Most Helpful Girl

• I think, there tends to be a lot of skimming over what the characters are thinking or feeling because as women we're always thinking or feeling something. There is usually also an obsession with having sex or chasing guys and while this is definitely something real women think about, it's definitely not most of our day.

I always love when characters get reflective or think about the big questions in the universe. A good example of this is the way Meg Ryan addresses the audience in You've Got Mail, you can see the cogs always turning. I think the guys who wrote for The Secret World of Alex Mac got it right most of the time (except for when it was really cliche :p). I also love when you can see clear personality differences between the different characters, that they all have their own story and then take their time getting to know each other. So it's more of progressive thing rather than all out in the open. That's what makes Poirot so good ;p

This answer is REALLY good. It gave me some things to think about, once I get more of a grasp on my story. I would love to hear more about what you have to say if you were holding back some things. :)

I hope we can message so I can explain a bit about what I am trying to do. Would that be okay?

Sure, that'd be great :)

I can't send you a message yet. :(

What Girls Said 7

• I don't have any issues with it, female authors write in male POV all the time. There are however some issues that i have with many female authors, i don't like that in so many books nowadays, in a failed attempt to make the female a very strong badass character, these authors just end up creating a bitchy heroine who keeps pushing a sweet hero away and I'm getting sick of when the author makes the hero the doormat who never defends himself against an unnecessarily rude heroine. I never understand when heroes keep pursuing bitchy heroines, it just makes me wonder what they see in these rude women in the first place. I can't tell you how many books i didn't finish due to an extremely bitchy heroine.

And however you think that a women thinks like, or acts like, just write it, I've read at least two books that i can think of who were written by male authors and honestly speaking, i think they wrote the female perspective better than most women authors do, the heroines were great! Don't worry about it.

I love everything you said, and I really appreciate the time and effort you spent on sending this message. Thank you. :)

you're welcome! :)

• Depends how well he's writing it. I've read authors who write female characters fantastically, with absolutely no issues, but certainly there are those who write them with clearly sexist undertones and things like that. Basically as long as the guy isn't using stereotypes and writing relatively free of sexist tropes it's probably fine. Honestly I'd just be happy to see more female characters in general.

• I have more of a problem with female authors how they portray some females in romance novels. Like her being bitchy all the time and somehow getting a guy
    who doesn't deserve that irks me more then a guy author writing through female eyes.

Any tips for male authors writing through a female's eyes?

@Tanairy328 Exactly and I hate how you don't notice these characters are bad until later and it sucks to like them and then dislike them when they are the main character like for example Rory Gilmore from Gilmore girls, Jane from Jane the virgin, Mindy from the Mindy Project etc honestly I won't like a tv show or book that much if I can't like the main character.

yep very true!

• Nothing.

• I usually don't have much of an issue with it as long as they write a good character.

• i never had any issues with it

• hi, i hope you dont mind me responding i really feel i want to even though i can't say its directly regarding novels. what a man can see and feel and sense to a situation has a different perspective to a females, he can offer something new and different and if we say in nature a way of combining with a female in a partnership for better understanding and help, often this in real life can be misunderstood and not taken so well, however, in writing this has the chance to be free so i see the character playing out and acting from this input, i could imagine it giving a character like myself a bit more stability and strength, if you in anyway am getting this, what would i want to see happen with this, show the reverse of how a female can use her senses of self and assistance to a man how to meld into him avoiding the struggles we have in real life often between two people omg not sure im struggling to express this.. lol