How do I get away with writing a 40 year old man kidnapping and raping a 15 year old boy in my story, and keeping it in the young adult category?

He drugs him

Most Helpful Guy

• Not gonna happen. Like, not a chance. Which begs the question: why don't you select a new target audience?

Most Helpful Girl

• By not going into explicit details and, to be safe, probably only hinting as to what happened.
    You can give details further on, but don't do it all in one big hit, there would be so many trigger issues, and it would not be considered appropriate for a young adult story.

I could be completely wrong but in my experience, in all the books I've read, (and I've read a shit tonne) any book that goes into that kind of detail get's shifted from young adult, to mature aged readers, which is usually confusing because you can tell by the style of writing who the audience is supposed to be, and it isn't until you get to something explicit like that that you realise why it's not a YA category.

So yeah, especially because the boy is under age, allude to the fact, do not detail it.

And yes, I have learned this from experience XD I used to go REAL dark in my writing, and thought, cause I was young, that meant it was okay for other young people!

... nope. No it wasn't.

I used to write things similar to what you've described, not exact, but along those lines. Makes me sick to read back over my writing now, but I know how good it can feel getting it out on paper.

Just so glad I've moved onto less triggering topics.

Good luck with your writing!

What Guys Said 6

• You probably can't.

Yea i figured :(

Unless maybe it is only mentioned once and the people who assign ratings dont notice it. However if its a main part of the plot then I doubt it.

• Maybe if you more hint at it you may have a better chance of keeping it in "young adult" Just talk about an encounter, the fact he was drugged, and then just about him waking up and feeling ill with clothes missing. Or something along those lines.

I think as long as it's not too graphic and it's handled maturely it should be fine.

• Girl u are sick.. D;

Its a story, get over it

• I I would say just imply dont go into details
    If its a no no im sure the editor will tell you

• why would you want to? Some sort of 50 shades of grey nonsense?

No its not but go ahead and stay mad

• Maybe be vague about the rape happening. Like allude to it but never actually talk about it.

What Girls Said 4

• The best way I can think of is by just mentioning it without being descriptive. Otherwise, you can't.

• You don't

That sucks. Ugh nevermind

• you don't

• Well R. L. Stein got away with tons of shit. Just mind the language in the rape scene. Omit it and flashback it. Insunuate. Just don't be explicit.