Can someone explain to me what this professional critique on my short story means?

@fathoms77 i received a free critique from a publisher and this is one of the suggestions for my story that i do not understand:

" Either give the background information in exposition, or in dialogue, not both."

1mo Ok so when I asked the editor what do they mean by give the background information either in exposition or dialogue not both. The editor's response was: "I'd say dialogue."

What Guys Said 2

• It means you should either write,

"It was a bright sunny day, and the birds were flying around."

OR

Tom said, "Joe, it's bright and sunny today. Did you need notice all the birds flying around?"

But NOT BOTH.

What he said, basically.

A little odd that you'd get that feedback, though. There are numerous ways of establishing background and I don't know how you did it.

Im genuinely confused by her reply. But I understand what she means now in her original reply. i do not mind rewriting it, but I honestly do not think that I need to rewrite the entire story unless I change the plot. Its a short story and i am thinking of changing the plot and turning it into a novel, but I need to get down this exposition first before I start writing anything.

I definitely will edit and revise the story using their advice though

• When you write an essay about something, you should either put things into the exposition or in the conclusion/dialogue. This makes sure that no extra information comes up so the reader is aware of all the aspects you talked about.

She said I did both exposition and dialogue

Ok so when I asked the editor what do they mean by give the background information either in exposition or dialogue not both. The editor's response was: "I'd say dialogue."
      Reply

I did not mean to type reply

What Girls Said 0