Can someone explain to me what this professional critique on my short story means?

@fathoms77 i received a free critique from a publisher and this is one of the suggestions for my story that i do not understand:

" Either give the background information in exposition, or in dialogue, not both."

Updates:
1mo Ok so when I asked the editor what do they mean by give the background information either in exposition or dialogue not both. The editor's response was: "I'd say dialogue."

0|0
0|2

What Guys Said 2

• It means you should either write,

"It was a bright sunny day, and the birds were flying around."

OR

Tom said, "Joe, it's bright and sunny today. Did you need notice all the birds flying around?"

But NOT BOTH.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

What he said, basically.

A little odd that you'd get that feedback, though. There are numerous ways of establishing background and I don't know how you did it.

• Show All
    • 1mo

Im genuinely confused by her reply. But I understand what she means now in her original reply. i do not mind rewriting it, but I honestly do not think that I need to rewrite the entire story unless I change the plot. Its a short story and i am thinking of changing the plot and turning it into a novel, but I need to get down this exposition first before I start writing anything.

• 1mo

I definitely will edit and revise the story using their advice though

• When you write an essay about something, you should either put things into the exposition or in the conclusion/dialogue. This makes sure that no extra information comes up so the reader is aware of all the aspects you talked about.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

She said I did both exposition and dialogue

• Show All
    • 1mo

Ok so when I asked the editor what do they mean by give the background information either in exposition or dialogue not both. The editor's response was: "I'd say dialogue."

• 1mo

I did not mean to type reply

What Girls Said 0

No girls shared opinions.