Why do people think Mariah Carey is a good singer?

Her voice cracks so very bad in this video. She sounds like me in the shower. I'm still not sure how my solo song from my shower got leaked.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know, the same reason people think Gene Simmons from Kiss is actually a decent musician?

I would take him over Mariah. But I'm biased because I like rock and hate a majority of pop and R and B music. I don't know why but the video makes me laugh so hard.

I love Rock Music but Gene Simmons isn't really that good

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, you may not like the kind of voice she has, probably too sharp for your taste. But that she is an amazing sincer, that can't be taken away from her. She is incredibly talented, regardless of other aspects.

What Guys Said 14

• She has or at least had an amazing range. I can't think of a singer who had the range that Mariah Carey has/had.

Oh yes she did. Annie Hasslam just didn't flaunt her talents as much as Mariah Carey did and she didn't have autotune. If you saw Renaissance in concert during those days (I did) then you must have heard some of her amazing performances of Ashes Are Burning. Mariah Carey could never shake the walls like Annie could. The sad part is that Mariah Carey was all show and no substance. A complete waste of talent. However, she did do a great job with Hero.

Thanks for sharing! Although, this particular performance sounds much better on CD than on this distorted video, if it's still in print.

• I always did think she was overrated but that is so bad

• That's because she's older in this video and she had nodes.
    But when she was younger she was amazing. She still can sing good but not as well as she used to

• This isn't very fair to her as she isn't in her prime and it highlights only her mistakes

• she's totally overrated. Even Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross sound way better

• She's no she just cackles high notes... All her lyrics are trash and it's unfresh

• One of the best.

• She was amazing from 1990-1999

• Yeah, isn't she?

• Because she kinda is. I feel like a bad video highlighting bad cracks and nodes probably doesn't do her overall voice justice... especially considering she has at least a 5 octave range, which is ridiculous

• The only person who thinks she's a good singer is Helen Keller.

• her boobs are just...
    wow..

• She once had 5 octave range. A once gifted singer who wasted her talents singing over crap music. She blew her voice out at one point. She was caught lip syncing on her last tour. But fake music is the norm now, so who really cares? It's all about the money and MC has plenty of that.

• Listen to her when she was in her PRIME.

What Girls Said 12

• As a professional musician let me say this... her debut album in 1990 by Columbia Records high lighted her voice, she was awesome... however, 26 years if you don't use your instrument the right way, or keep it tuned, it tends to fade. Her vocal worth was over more than 10 years ago, she is NOT a good singer any longer. She is also not a very kind person, which makes her a non-marketable item... wouldn't buy anything she put out in the last 15 years...

• She used to have an amazing voice with a 5octave range but she can't anymore (age)
    I was a fan until I heard her speak. What a horrible personality.

• She use to be an amazing singer. Not sure what happen to her voice. Maybe due to her drinking? I don't know. but she's one of my fav singers because she has a great catalog

• She is talented, but Jere it sounds like she didn't take the time to properly warm up her voice in a long, long time.

• She is talented in my opinion.

• When she was young she was amazing!!! Such a great vocal range. People compare ariana grande's range to hers.
    Now, not so much. Thats what years of singing does to your vocal cords I guess.

• When she first became famous, she could really sing. I think she had surgery or was sick and now she can't sing as well any more. They keep her around for the memories and because they can cover it with auto tune sometimes.

• DANM!

I don't know why, but the video makes me laugh so hard. If I have a bad day, I will watch it.

Lol it made me laugh actually... I had a crappy face throughout the video hahhahaa... but I think she has some damage to her vocal cords, she didn't sound like this years ago D: that's kinda sad

• I don't know I always hated her singing and voice. Plus she's suoer arrogant for someone who has tons of singers who are better than her

Exactly she would be nothing without auto-tune.

@damnwinter it's not the auto tune I hate. It's she's like Adele and Whitney Houston and feels the need to show off she can't sing and that's suoer annoying. You don't need to always hit high notes or sstuff like that to be a good singer it takes from it and sounds ugly and annoying

I agree :) I was just talking about her skills.

• She's mariah carey ffs, her whistle tunes are iconic

• So you got rid of the entire song other then these bits where the cracks in her voice could have actually made sense since if you know anything about sinning cracks can be deliberating put places to add personality

singing*

Or you're bitter. That's an option too. What is arrogant is you thinking you could sound better than her.

I'm aware I'm bitter. No need to tell me. I never said I sounded better than her. I even said I sound like that in the shower. In the description. Where people write important information that no one pays attention to. And trust me if I could sing like the old Mariah, I wouldn't be driving a used Toyota scion and having a ridiculous conversation with you. Again, I think she had damage to her vocal cords but is too arrogant to get a vocal coach.

• She is, this video is a bad one of her.