Is it pedophilia if I write a story that takes place in the 19th century with a relationship between a 16 year old boy and a man older than 20?

I read that the age of consent did not apply to men back then.

1mo I live in America

Most Helpful Guy

• Snow White was 14, if Disney can do it I think you can do it.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the place. In the 19th century, sex outside of marriage was considered as breaking the law and both of them can be stoned. It also depends on wither or not how much of it do you want it to be fiction or realistic. If realistic, then read up about such stories. Religion also was extreme back then as well.

What Guys Said 7

• No, how is this pedophilia in anyway? Saying that you did your research and people were in those relationships at that age during that time, then your story would be considered historically accurate and not 'perverted.' Unless you plan on making this story an erotica, then it's completely fine

Its not erotica but I do write sex scenes between them. They are not really graphic

Well that's ok then, good luck with your writing!

he is 18 in the story

• I don't think fictional stories really matter? They might, google it. I think it's just pictures and maybe a real life story/personal experience. I remember seeing on the border security show, some weird ass guy with a tail. They found a bunch of drawn bestiality pictures, maybe they were on his laptop I don't know. But I'm pretty sure they said something like "it's fantasy or not real blahblah not actual pictures so".

• If you're brilliant, write a love story or a play about a 34 year old woman in an abusive relationship but having an affair with a 13 year old boy from a broken home. It's called art, and if you're good, they'll give you a scholarship. -- make it so the have it so the woman had a miscarriage when she was 19 and was never able to have children again. It'll be a dynamic and complex story.

• 29d

My story is about 2 men. If you want to write about a man and woman go ahead, but Im not writing that just because you think its brilliant

• 29d

Oh, well, that might be a good story. I didn't see that it was about gay men. Maybe. Sounds like Broke Back Mountain.

• Well one it's closely related to euphebophilia, not pedophilia. But no it wouldn't be considering the time period.

• If you live in the U. S. Probably but if you live in the U. K. probably not. It depends what country you live in.

I live in America.

Then it probably might be, some states have a age of consent set to eighteen while other states have a age of consent set to sixteen. I think you should ask someone that knows the law.

• Only by today's standards, but not pedophilia in the story.

• Quit writing weird shit.

What Girls Said 4

• No... yes... maybe... 🤔

Not sure, but you could always just bump up their ages by two years to be safe.

But it is fiction, and takes place in another time, so if I were you, I would keep it at the ages you meant for them to be.

I believe I am no help...
    good luck!

• The age difference isn't even huge... Its absolutely fine. And since it is "historically correct" you can write about it all you want. Also its fictional, not real, write what you want.

• Game of Thrones isn't about pedophilia but it isn't about idealized situations either. Your story should be accurate but it shouldn't idealize less than ideal situations.

• Write it no matter what. It doesn't matter what it is called nowadays. If you have inspiration about something, write with no restriction. As for answering your question, during that time period, it wouldn't be considered pedophilia.