Are Disney movies really harmful for children or is it all exaggerated?

Are Disney movies really harmful for children or is it all exaggerated??

• Harmful
  • Exaggerated

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 29

• Why? Because a lot of them, the older ones especially, are adapted from fairy tales in which the woman is an innocent princess rather than the sexy, independent, and empowered woman who can hold her own and because the hero is a brave prince fighting to save her and not just some random guy who shows up in the middle of the fight that she was already winning and because modern feminists are looking for a boogeyman?

Or they're trying to rescue young girls today from the Disney dragons?

Wait, I'm seeing a parallel here...

• It's all exaggerated, people say it's filling girls / boys with false sense of romance this & that.

It is the responsibility of the parents to teach the kids the value of life and what's real and what's not, not that many parents sit with their children and watch a movie or talk about it.

• it's just important to make sure you understand how your children are affected and make that they are able to decipher what the consume.

• Scarred for life! I still thought animals sponteneously burst into song up until a few years ago, when I realised it wasn't trye my world was shattered

• No they are not seriously people stop over analyzing fucking children movies, let nature take it's course let little girls believe they are princess, damsels and queens and boys princes, kings and heroes.

how about eveyone stop being overly senstive crazies that would be a great start.

• Disney movies are good for the soul. Don't overthink it. And for the love of all that is good, watch El Dorado. Beautifully great children's movie. Too fun to watch still haha

• No, It's definitely harmful to get subliminal messages even if you don't understand it.
    Some are very awful.

I remember watching Frozen with my wife (ex) and jaxon. It was the first time I watched it and the wife saw is a million times with my son. I caught a real vicious one with a reference of telling the guys (don't remember his name) penis size based on his foot size.

I see a lot. I remember in one of those CARS movies the "girl car" had a tramp stamp (tattoo) and two identical cars flashing headlights at the race.
    YEAH... I've been to to track hundreds of times. At nascar twin women flash there racks. That was a funny little move they put in cars.

The adult stuff is endless with Disney but It was Really bad in the older ones.

• They're not harmful if the parents do a good job.
    If you let your kid watch movies and never tell them that's not reality, that it's just a fake story, then it's harmful.

• Lets see some studies before people talk shit.

• Lmao people are running out things to complain about

• I have heard a bit of mutterings about this - It definitely strikes me as OTT criticism

• The movies themselves aren't harmful.

Though it's funny how there's subliminal messages in some of these Disney movies.

Examples
    -the dick castle on the cover of little mermaid
    -the priest getting a boner in the little mermaid
    -Alice In Wonderland being a drug reference

Kids wouldn't really get these though.

• All exaggerated! We should all be able to indulge with some fiction from time to time.

The issue is, too many parents now are more lax, and would rather blame everyone else besides themselves for how their kids are and turn out to be.

• You mean the Sheriff of Nottingham *wasn't* an unkempt, obese wolf with a weird Southern accent?

• I think they are harmful, but in a subtle way.

• Harmful, but not for the BS reasons the alt-right has come up with.

• Not all Disney movies are over exaggerated.. But everyone will disagree with you even if you strongly believe it wasn't.

The Little Mermaid for example I don't believe was.

• Disney movies are not harmful.

• What don't people complain about? 🙄

• The majority of pop culture is bullshit in my opinion.

• Depends on the Disney movie. Also, they can be used as a tool for educating your children, you know, conversation starters.

• Who tf said this?

• 24d

Lol it's a lot of videos on YouTube about it but I'm sure it's a lie. They have plenty videos posted about the "dark side" of Disney. It's just crazy

• 24d

😂Yeah, it's crazy to think how sensitive people are.

• 24d

Yep. lol they find the smallest things just to have something to do

• More harmful to girls, from what I've seen.

• Walt Disney (the person) was anti-Semitic. I'm jewish, you do the math

You know who else is anti-semitic? Ford, Chanel

All the "greats" of the past, were anti-Semitic

• Apparently the poeple that think it is harmful have never been read the grimm brothers tails.

• They are especially for girls. They create princesses syndromes.

• I have to agree w whoever said western women, not all but a lot have these expectations. That a man will sweep them off their feet, treat them like a queen, buy them everything they want.

• Probably the reason every western woman has unreal expectations and delusions of princess.

• they are not harmful except to feminist or other agendas. They don't hurt anyone and u can learn/teach a lot from the messages in them. It's all about what u take from it. If u want to see them as an attack on women and showing women as weak then that's all you'll ever see. but that's not what MOST people see <3

What Girls Said 13

• There are too many varieties to out all into one drawer and slap a label. I personally think that most of the princessy movies are harmful for little girls, because then they would grow up thinking that your looks are all that matters in order to get your Prince charming. Although this one princess who is a bibliophile could also be a good role model. I personally liked Mulan amongst all Disney girls, cause the is a strong woman who doesn't give up. But my all time favorite Disney movie is the lion king and I don't see the part where it might be harmful for kids, girl or boy.

Also important is the parents' involvement in explaining the characters. This is the only way you can avoid your child from getting the wrong message

• I think some of the older movies have questionable concepts and ideas concerning stuff like gender roles, stereotypes and racism. The newer movies, eh, not so much, but there's always room for improvement, more representation, more diversity.

• People are overly sensitive now and like to project adult concerns onto childrens' movies. There's nothing wrong with the movies. It's the adults watching them.

• not really, Mulan portray some value and good inspiration for children, at least for me back then ;p

• Only if you forget to instill in your kid some common sense. Disney movies can be really wholesome. I don't know why people are having such a huge problem with it. Did they not understand that there's a difference between fiction and real life growing up or something?

• It's all feminist exaggeration.

• of course not! what f*cking idiot tried to say they are?

• 23d

lol those people on YouTube who posted videos showing the "dark side" of Disney films

• 23d

lmao... i grew up on disney. it was what sparked my imagination as a child. i still watch disney movies from time to time and i feel just fine. what losers.

• 23d

So do I! I love their movies. And yep, they're just bored and need something to do

• Honestly, I did an entire Research project on this and I came to the conclusion that no, it's not.

• It's exaggerated.

• Eh, they are to an extend, but its not just Disney movies.

• Exaggeration by some religious groups

• My sister and I grew up on Disney movies and we made it out QUITE fine...
    How tf is Disney harmful?

• How on earth would it be harmful? Disney movies are part of every child's life. We all watch them. I even search out new movies to watch sometimes. I never learned much from them; I just enjoyed the story that was shown. You know what movies are harmful to children? Horror and R-rated movies. If you want to strip away a person's childhood, then go ahead and take away the Disney movies, but it really isn't necessary. Would you rather let them watch movies about sex and murder? Didn't think so.

It's exaggerated bullshit.