PC gaming or console gaming?

Do you prefer pc gaming or console?

Also if you pc game, does your pc run the max settings? What would you need today to run max settings on Mass Effect Andromeda which is coming out sometime next year. Or any current game for that matter. Excluding 4k gaming

What Girls Said 7

• 0|1
    • 26d

You built your own pc?

• 26d

How do you manage to keep your pc running smooth after some time? Does that come down to anti virus and ram management programs or is there is something else? Replacing parts?

• 26d

it depends; sometimes, it's a simple fix (like updating drivers or defragging), other times a part needs to be replaced.

• PC gaming.
    My games often run on low to medium settings because it's an old laptop, going to get a good gaming PC in the future

• Consoles for me. I don't have the space to build the PC that I want.

• 24d

Although id rather pc. None of this BS backwards compatibility nonsense. can't play xcom, need to buy a whole new membership separate from ps+ so I can play games I already bought and downloaded to ps3

• console! its what I've grown up with and have learned to love. pretty much all my favorite games r nintendo and pc games have never interested me

• Handheld console gaming.

• Console

• I like my consoles better. For a Mass Effect game you will need a very good PC. That game is HD AF.

• 24d

Yea and with mass effect ps4 will play it no problem always. True true

• 24d

I want pc gaming but when you see the difference it makes no sense. I have to buy a 600-800 graphics card just for it. And probably a i7 intel chip to play it sexy

Ps4 pro and even just the normal ps4 will handle it without any hiccups ever. Always smooth sexy gaming

Agree?

• 24d

I do! I have had several consoles till now, never needed any extra software or hardware to play games the way they are supposed to be played.
      On the pc I would need several upgrades, gaming quality PC for over 1000 EU, the graphic card yes, memory space etc.

What Guys Said 30

• PC for several reasons.

First, I already have a PC so I don't have to buy something just to lay games.

Second, I go way back with games. In the early days PC games and console games were very different type of games. I just didn't care for the console games.

Third, I admit a little ignorant about console games, but aren't they like WAY more expensive?

Forth, I just never got in the habit of console games. I've been playing computer games for 40 years or so, but I have never played a console. I've heard of Xbox, PS, NES etc, but I would not be able to identify a single one of those by sight.

Fifth, multitasking. I'm a huge multi-tasker. I'm constantly swapping between games and other stuff. I'll usually have games running all day, but I rarely play for long at a time.

As far as settings, I have a ten year old PC and it's just fine for the games I play. I rarely play the newest games and don't care about them. The game I have the hardest time with is Path of Exile which runs pretty poorly on my PC. I have it optimized as much as I can, but the comp is just too old. A new PC is in the queue, but I'm in no hurry and it won't be a gaming machine.

• I played on Xbox / Xbox 360 / Xbox One / Playstation 3 (From about the age of 7), And, About a year ago i spunked £3,000 on a computer (I had a bit of spare money from work, haha), And, I could never go back.

And, Aye, At current i have 3 monitors (Totalling 5760x1920) and it can run everything on Ultra. (For example Battlefield 1 with its retardedly fantastic graphics, I can just chew it at 60+FPS on ultra with 3 screens), haha.

Uhm, To be honest with you buddy, I have the 980Ti, The new Nvidia cards are the 1070 and 1080. I would say either, A) Get the 980TI, It may be more expensive then the 1070 and about the same as a 1080, But, Its an absolute beast. Or, Wait until a 1080Ti and get that (But im warning you it will probably be expensive as fuck).

Basically, PC gaming is just better in everyway, The downside is its retardedly expensive, I mean, In a couple years time my £3,000 computer will be obsolete, Its just, Disgusting how expensive it is if you constantly want to be able to max anything, And, If you literally just want to go home and chill and play games, Console is probably easier and definitely ridiculously cheaper.

• I'm a PC gamer. I'm done paying $60 for part of a game. Most PC games are way cheeper and usually better. There is also modding for so many PC games so after a year it is fun to go back and look at last years games to see what mods there are to try out with it.
    1 it did for a long time. I don't have the money to keep up but it still runs games better than that year's consols and at higher settings and frame rate usually.
    2 A new mother board my PC is from 2010 but it can still run the newest games that come out. I'm pretty sure that I could run the new masseffect just not on max settings. Most likely just normal settings. Why heat up the room if I don't need to.

• Atm, it's PC gaming, although I prefer flying solo and play single player campaigns or games with shit tons of free community made content like mods and tweaks. I haven't decided to buy any of the current gen consoles, just didn't feel like keeping up with them anymore after last generation. I still own a PS3 and PSP and that's all the consoles I really feel I need if I want to play games on consoles. If I were to play current gen stuff I rather be over at my buddies' place and play games together instead.

• console gaming for me. seems like it costs a hell of a lot more to get a PC that has the capability to effectively play most games these days

• 25d

... but the PC Master Race bunch will be delusional and try to tell us otherwise! :-P

• 24d

@Prof_Don haha. like i get that PC gaming can offer some things console gaming can't but for what i play consoles are more than suitable.

• I prefer console gaming merely because they are easier to just switch on and play and you aren't constantly worrying about game specs. If a game is designed for your console then it will work. With PC gaming it's hard to keep up with all the improvements in specs. You have to be ahead of the curve all of the time, your PC has to be future proofed as far as possible or it will be obsolete within 6 months.

• 24d

Yea that's what I'm thinking too. Pc is obviously more powerful but upit comes with many inconveniences. Consoles I can just buy it and pop in any game with good specs for the life of the console with no hiccups at all

I think console it it!

• Both, my computer's have always sucked for games, but I can usually run on lower settings. I can't wait for Mass Effect Andromeda, I saw the trailer this morning and it looks crazy, though there wasn't any gameplay in it, just cut scenes. Seema like it's going to be massive. Though I hope it doesn't lose its feel that the last 3 did, especially 2 and 3. Though I do hope they didn't put any annoying crap in like shooting probes at planets. I am so happy that the game is made by an Canadian company, Bioware. I think that's why they put the headquarters in Vancouver (British Columbia, where I believe the creators are from) in the 3rd game.

• 30% pc, 70% console for me. I love RTS and sim games, and the PC wins hands down for those types of games. Everything else is on the consoles. (I have both Xbox and PS) I haven't build a PC in years, but I play on mostly maxed out settings.

• 26d

Why would you say everything else you prefer consoles?

• 26d

Shooters and role-playing I like consoles for the stability and controllers.

• I have given PC gaming a strong, long-term honest attempt.

Then I realized PC gaming isn't for me, for two reasons:

1) The genres I play are fighting, sports, and single player RPGs. Consoles have historically supported my genres better.

2) I like playing multiplayer, in the flesh (as in with someone physically in the same room with me). Console does this extremely well, regardless of the PC Master Race bunch talking about LAN parties being an equivalent. Sorry, it's not.

• 24d

Yea I was thinking that a ps4 can just play it all without having to worry about anything. Pc is just always needs catering and money to blow

Ps4 even plays ps4 pro games. A used ps4 is easily 250 dollars vs a pc to play mass effect andromeda would be easily 1000+

• Console only.

I gave up on PC since the Pentium 4. The thing that is HORRIBLE about pc is you this game doesn't work with that video card, this game crashes, that game doesn't work, this one requires that, update this, that freezes, buy this part. You have to update your computer every 2 months.
    It's one giant MONEY scam. It was not fun anyone after dealing with all of the trouble.

• 26d

Exactly
      That's what I was thinking, console gaming you buy it once and it just works for the life of the machine

• 26d

Computer games was the big thing in the 90's. I was right in the heat of it. Consoles could not keep up with the graphics but then marketing companies started to pull that move where the games will not RUN. Continuous BS and spending money.
      It's not an accident. Computers companies are known to make their products to break quick. It got out of control because computers have a lot of parts.
      By the time 98 came up I was about $6K in the hole. On top of that is MODDERS. You cannot play online without it being destroyed by cheaters.

• console = ripoff. I upgrade video cards to the $600 one every 5 years or so (like the current GTX 1080 and may never need to be upgraded since most game developers are camping at the bottom of Uncanny Valley, though VR needs about 90 fps to avoid motion sickness). Consoles can't be upgraded so you are stuck with what you buy, and is obsolete compared to PC in a few years. While upgrading cards rather often is expensive most Steam games for PC don't cost $60-$70 so more than makes up for it. I haven't paid $60 for a game since FF8 for PS2 and never will again, with patience and not buying it on Day 1 (more like 2nd anniversary and during a weekend sale) they can be had for $20-30 and be the GOTY version with all DLC released at that point included as well for free (like the current Witcher 3) as well as most bugs fixed (unless you are foolish and buy an early release/alpha that should be free for testing).

• 26d

Is gtx 1080 4k or not that high yet?

• 25d

yes it is. In fact it can do 8k (4x 4k monitors). Not sure about the framerate of that tho, my setup is 3x 4k and it does all the games I have (like Witcher 3 and others released in teh past couple years) at max settings just fine. I'd guess you'd need 2 in SLI for 8k at max settings, since some scenes with a lot of action and 6k the frame rate drops to about 25 or so. Also keep in mind mine is overclocked with a water block on it (the EVGA copper version).

• PC, runs many things (but not all) at max settings in 1080p. Prefer PC because mods, and not enough console exclusives grab me to make me want to drop that much money on a console.

Have a 3DS and will be getting a Switch, though.

• Consoles are inherently inferior, although some handhelds have some fun games more suitable for such small touch-based screen.

• 25d

Console is more about ease of in-person-multiplayer and convenience.

The ease-of-use and in-person social factor of console gaming, outweighs the ultra-powerful graphics and mods that PC gaming has.

I'm not one of those snobby-ass "PC gamers are a bunch of introverted loser" type of console gamers, so I have no beef with your style. :-D

• 24d

@Prof_Don yes, except Halo 5 for example doesn't even have split screen

• I prefer console because I am lazy and have grown accustomed to it.

• I do most of my gaming on PC.

• 26d

What level would you say mimics console ps4 or xbox one gaming? Average settings or max or ultra?

• 26d

Oh I wouldn't know. I'm a casual gamer, so I don't get into specifics like that.

• I prefer PC gaming because of the superior graphics. I play my games on 1440p ultra where possible. It's been a while since I properly played anything, though.

I think my setup can handle Andromeda at 1440p ultra so I'm not worried about it.

• 26d

That's fun. What graphics card do you use? Also what processor chip are you using?

If you don't mind sharing

• 25d

i5 6600k and evga's 1070

• Whatever I can afford. At the moment I can only play console games. I love both but pc gaming is expensive.

• I don't play that many games, but when I do it usually is on the PC the only console I ever really played was the sega dreamcast.

• PC by a long shot.

• I like consoles more nowadays, but my laptop is all I've got with me so I game with that

• Console. Just preference.

• Ofcourse PC.. no doubt.

• definitely console

• BOTH

Even though i console game, i like both, i can't afford steam games

• 26d

Aren't steam games cheaper than console games?

• 26d

Probably, but i buy games that are used, lol steam games aren't used

• PC for the extended options it tends to bring. Compare say... Skyrim with and without mods. The one is a good albeit not too impressive a game. The other is awesome. I mean the skyrim reboot they're releasing? PC basically had that for years already. if you used a couple of free mods.
    Ultimately I prefer the controls since a controller can't really match a mouse and so on.

As for how well games etc run, my pc runs pretty much everything at max/high without worry and I have a mid-tier rig (gtx970, i5-4690 etc).
    A present Xbox one or PS4 have basically a HD 7850 card. Which wasn't good two years ago and definitely is not good today. While the consoles do use it more effectively than a PC does this is the primary reason that practically all graphically (somwhat) intense games are overhauled and reduced to a low-mid graphics setting for consoles.
    I guess my basic point is; A low-end pc performs better than a console does right now.

You're probably fine with the gtx980 for a while longer for max settings on pretty much anything. AMD is releasing a new, very affordable, card that should also be able to run these things at max. Can't remember the name but check around if you're planning any purchases.

• I like consoles. I like controllers, especially the Xbox 360 controller. I prefer a controller for almost all games, except for RTS I would prefer mouse and keyboard.
    I like knowing that I have at least 5 years or more before needing an upgrade and my console is only $300.
    I also like my consoles because I play them on my TV and have my subwoofer system hooked up to it. The sound makes a real difference on some games.

• Dude im a grown ass man. Take my advice ditch the computer games get outside and grab life by the pussy.

• Consoles because of better exclusives... PC is the god of multi-platform games tho

• PC Master Race