Any recommendations for a good fantasy book?

I know Lord of the Rings is one, but I need several different books. I'm trying to write a fantasy novel and I have the entire plot down, but now I'm trying to grasp the actually writing concept. The short stories I write are not fantasy and I'd like to see the difference in writing style.

What Guys Said 24

• Raymond Feist is my favorite.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_E._Feist
    Start with Magician and read them in publication order. They are usually grouped in series of 2-4 books which should be read together.

Robin Hobb writes some very good books. My only problem with her is that she tends to treat the protagonists like shit. But as a fantasy write she is excellent. Start at the beginning with the Farseer books.

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series are very good.

Others have mentioned David Eddings. His earlier books were better. But they tend to get a little repetitious after a while. He had some real losers later in his career, but I don't remember the names.

Katharine Kerr is another excellent writer. It's fantasy with a twist. It's pure fantasy and many of the common fantasy elements, but with a Celtic base. They are grouped 3-4 together, with a story to tie them all together. Read in order of publication. Different and interesting style of writing because it constantly jumps around in time - you'll want a reference to keep track, but it's not distracting.

Weis and Hickman - they almost always write together. Start with Dragonlance, which eventually evolves into a whole bunch of books. Some other series are also good. I like the Deathgate series. They are prolific writers who can really crank out some books. They are still highly readable and some of the characters are well loved. Can anyone say Tas?

L. E. Modesitt - I've only recently started reading him with his Imager series which I'm not sure if it's done yet. He has a different style and I'd like to check out his earlier works.

Terry Goodkind - His early books are very good. He drags out the serious though. But you can stop at any time. It tends to get a little dark at times.

Robert Jordan - combination of very good and very bad. Starts out very good. But the series is VERY long and slows down almost to a halt in the middle books. It's a marathon that I spent 1.5 years reading. Not recommended if LotR is your only fantasy experience. Save it for later.

For someone fairly new to fantasy, I'd have to recommend Feist first. Good writer, very good character development, very good story, page turner, attachment to many characters. Slight negative maybe - he tends to kill off characters that you've gotten attached to. Imagine faithful Samwise getting killed halfway through the last book.

• Well, if you haven't read The Name of The Wind yet, out of The KingKiller's Chronicles, you should. It's very good. I love it. As do many, many others.

And I swear. Brandon Sanderson is a master of Fantasy. Very unique ideas and great writing. God, but he always has to have *one* fucking annoying, stupid bitch in his books. -_______-;; Dammit Shallan. No. Don't do it. Fuck. No. Stop. GALisdpiaunepjnv

I have some reservations, if you can't tell.

Joe Ambercrombie's The First Law series was pretty good, though it left less of a mark on me than the others.

I also enjoyed the first 3 books of the The Warded Man quite well. Missed days of work reading them.

And, there's The Black Company. If you really just hate life and the world (and women), then this is the series for you. Chalked full of gritty realism of war and dark fantasy. There are no heroes in those books. Not even really an antihero. Just a bunch of mercenaries killing and raping and pillaging across the mystical world.

• i reccomend you to explore this site:
    bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

And read all the opinions and different analysis.

• Maybe let a computer nerd develop a new game and the star of the book is a guy or girl who gets totally engulfed in the phantasy world of the game.
    You could insert some construction mistakes of course :o

• Charles Darwin's Origin of Species is a real page-turner.

• 0|0
  • The Witcher saga (Geralt of Rivia saga) is amazing. They're the only books I've enjoyed.

• They David Eddings. He wrote a couple great series,; the BELGRAIAD is my personal favorite. Great characters and story line. You'll grow to love Garion, Blegarath, Poledra, Durnik, Ce Nedra, Silk and Barak It's all about a lost blood line, prophecy, magic, high adventure and an epic battle between good and evil. It's so excellently written I almost felt bad for Torak.

• The Inheritance Cycle, Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance, by Christopher Paolini is one of my favorites of all time.

• Wheel of time series, Sword of truth series, Kingkiller chronicles, demon cycle series. Some other are demonata series, cirque du freak series, percy jackson (good reads but for the younger crowd)

• Yeah,
    The six gun tarot and the shotgun arcana; Weird Western
    The Kingkiller chronicle; heroic fantasy
    The Dresden Files; Urban Fantasy
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; Heroic Fantasy

• 16d

Lol, I should've just messaged you instead of asking the question. I'll message you my story idea.

• Look at the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe as another.

• Patrick Rothfuss is working on a really good series. The second book is called "Wise Man's Fear". can't remember name of series or anything. Trismoon is something you should take a good look at. Esp since you are trying to write one. I say look at Trismoon because thats the kind of book you can have if you aim for a fast pace with a theme that will easily grab people.

• 16d

Hey, i think Trismoon was also a self published book. So might be exactly what you need to look at.

• Narnia book series

• I like to write also. But my favorite books to read are not fantasy but they surely are interesting. the author is Dean Koontz. try three books before you judge him

• The Lance Armstrong biography is a big fantasy one.

• David Eddings had a nice style, but they (it was also his wife) tended to re-use plots.
    I enjoyed Ursula K LaGuin's Earthsea books when I was a teen.
    Barbara Hambly was good, but I don't see her stuff around any more.
    Martin's Game of Thrones.

• 9d

Lyndon Hardy, Master of the Five Magics and sequels.
      Michael Moorcock. Edgar Rice Burroughs. H G Wells.

• Dunno I I don't read books. If it's any good it gets made into a movie and possibly a video game that winds up on torrents anyway.

• Harry potter

• With everyone taking inspiration from other works, why not taking the inspiration from reality itself?

• 16d

I don't need it for inspiration. I said I already have the story plotted out from beginning to end and all the events and characters. I'm just looking to see if there's any difference in writing style from what I usually do.

• 15d

I didn't know Agatha Christie to fantasy or at least not the type I'm thinking of. I'll have to look them up.

• 15d

It's a long standing one, and there should be a reason. The narrative is very light, yet very captivating.

• Dune

• H. P. Lovecraft

• Have you tried manga? Or video games? Great fantasy stories. Buy child of light on a game console. SO GOOD. Made me cry and it's super fantasy. Love it so much.

• The bible, talmud and quran are great fantasy books.

What Girls Said 5

• George R R Martin (of Game of Thrones fame) writes really well

• Cirque du freak series, The Vampire Chronicles, Harry Potter series, the Boggart, Carrie, Stranger with my face, the vampire diaries, the Golden Compass, the lion the witch and the wardrobe, the secret circle. Im currently rewriting my fantasy novel.

• witcher books are great

• can t help you with that buddy sry
    hmmm when I was a kid though I read a series of book called uglies-pretties and so on
    it was interesting back then haha

• Have you read the Highlander series of books by Karen Moaning or Donna Grant?
    Fantasy and Sex. Lol.