Did you know there were movies in old times which were shot in technicolor?

The Adventures of Robinhood ( 1938)
Gone with the wind ( 1939)
The Wizard of Oz ( 1939)
Leave Her to Heaven ( 1945)
She wore a yellow Ribon ( 1949)
The African Queen ( 1951)

If this tecnicolor technology existed in old times, I don't understand why the majority of movies were being shot in black and white until the the middle of 1960s.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Because its extremely expensive

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 5

• Do you not realize that these films were made in B&W and were later colorized?

entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question184.htm

• NThey were shot in Technicolor at the beginning.

• Those films I mentioned were shot in technicolor.

• I initially responded on the basis of my understanding and a faulty recollection about Gone With The Wind being colorized. I then did some research and discovered that you are correct. I apologize.

I would assume that the cost of color equipment made color movies cost prohibitive for all but what was anticipated to be the biggest of blockbuster movies. It is the same with color photographs. B&W photography was the standard for amateurs until the 1960s.

• Did I know? They wouldn't let us forget! You'd have thought they'd found a cure for cancer! " Gone With the Wind - IN AMAZING TECHNICOLOR!!!"

• when i was a kid these films were still shown regularly on tv

• Experimental and probably it was due to cost.

• Cost plus technicolor film of that time is extremely flamible after it was dovelept