Do you believe music has stopped to evolve?

Well 15 years isn't a small time frame (that's like 20% of a lifetime), but listening to songs from 2001 and from 2016, I cannot find any massive differences, maybe perhaps some minor unnoticeable ones. For example listen to Can't Get You Out Of My Head by Kylie Minogue (massive hit from 2001) and Work by Rihanna (massive hit from 2016) sound very similar, but there is a 15 year difference between them.

On the other hand there is a massive difference between songs from 1971 and from 1986, for example. A typical song from 1986 (example: The Final Countdown by Europe) doesn't resemble a typical song from 1971 (example: Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin) in any way.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Pop music is so controlled right now that no real originality or creativity is just not allowed to be recorded. The record industry has been consolidated into 5 major labels who rule the market with an iron fist when back in the 1970's there were hundreds of record labels and many bands were given total artistic freedom. The result is that today everybody sounds the same no matter what genre you're talking about. And now it all corporate, it's all faceless and it all sucks! Also, why should these profit hungry record label waste time and money developing exceptionally talented musicians like Yes, ELP or Renaissance when they can make more money selling you crap like degenerate hair bands such as Poison, nightmarish noise like Megadeath and Slipknot and cheep electro pop shit like Katy Perry? The reason why today's music sucks is because the consumer has allowed it to suck over the past 30 years.

• 7d

I would upvote you... but since you bash hair metal I won't because I love it.

• 6d

OK then... but give hair metal a chance. OK Poison is not the best Glam Metal (I prefer to call it like that, since this is how is it called officially.) band around. But bands like Quiet Riot, Autograph and Def Leppard (the latter also part of the NWOBHM movement, which was a great genre as well) have released a batch of great albums.

• 6d

Dude, did you just say Quiet Riot and Def L;leopard? Now we're talking about classic rock n' roll! Great call! You can put Van Halen in that category also. However, you do have to admit that bands like Poison, Motley Crew and the LA Guns were shallow and that their drug use made it possible for death metal to become popular. Anyway, thanks for the up vote! "Pour some sugar on me"...

What Girls Said 2

• No...
    This is just a transition stage... towards something more innovative and better than what we have at this moment in time (better than the currently popular music).

Why? Because something so diverse and creative will never stop evolving. It's just a fact. The sad this right now is we're in that awkward 'teenage' stage of music evolving into something new... So right now - it's pretty much garbage 87% of the time.

• If you are still listening to mainstream shit, what do you expect?

What Guys Said 6

• I don't think it has stopped evolving, but the mainstream music has definitely gone in the worse direction in my opinion. You just have to dig a little deeper to find "evolved" music.

• Mostly - yes. Today's music is quite boring.

• There's a pretty big difference between what's popular then and now

• Absolutely.

• The problem is what charts these days isn't music. It's just someone screeching over a generic beat the people in the clubs can dance to. You need to look beneath the surface to find stuff worth bothering with

• Pretty much, most styles of music have been explored now. People have tried to make new styles but it just ends up being awful noise (e. g. dubstep)