Should a filmmaker make a movie that makes money? OR Should he/she makes something that is highly controversial but coming from his/her TRUE core?

Okay, I accept this might seems easy. I am an Indie filmmaker, I've been working on this story for a while, this can potentially kill my career, but I just can't let it go. I know the answer already, that you should always do what is true to your core and feel deeply passionate about, but I still want to hear your take.
I am afraid that this will be a waste if money, it'll be very hard to cast, no one would be willing to invest in this project, and every human on the planet will hate me.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.
Take Care

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends what kind of audience you're try to appeal to.

Most Helpful Guy

• His core.
    Otherwise, the movie won't make money and it will suck.

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 1

• Make a movie that makes money, so you have the money to go out and make another that can send a message. Also if your first movie is more popular it's likely people will go to see your second

• What if you a movie for the money and it doesn't make money?

• What if you make a movie for the money, and it doesn't make money?

• Then that's a whole other situation.

That is where you go for the movie that means something to you. Your question made it seem like the movie for money was 100% guranteed to make more

What Guys Said 2

• Why not use crowd funding?
    If not, making a movie that makes money should definitely go first.

• You only have that freedom if you have a lot of money...