How do you feel about race casting in Hollywood films?

What are your thoughts on Hollywood films casting white actors in non-white roles?

An example is Matt Damon cast as a white protagonist in medieval China (in trailer)
Emma stone cast as an Asian character in Aloha
Johnny depp cast as Native American in the lone ranger etc

what are your thoughts and perspective on the issue?
Do you want more diverse casting or are you fine with the status quo?

elaborate, thoughtful and detailed responses are appreciated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewashing_in_film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_savior_narrative_in_film

The trailer is a prime example of the white protagonist in a context he has no place in, saving minorities aka white saviour narrative.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's definitely a problem. There's an over representation of white people and an under representation of everyone else. I know there will be people who complain about it happening in the other direction but it isn't remotely the same. The difference being that there's plenty of diverse roles for white people both as heroes and villains. The roles for everyone else are heavily skewed and pigeonholed into a few stereotypical roles. How many movies with black casts aren't slave epics, comedy spoofs or Tyler Perry movies which are still littered with stereotypes? How many Asian casts aren't geared towards martial arts, nerds or some type of sagely mysticism? The white savior complex in Hollywood movies with an Asian setting are numerous. People claim Hollywood is this progressive liberal bastion but if you look at the actual representation it doesn't paint that picture.

Everyone deserves their heroes and role models. If we want a society that doesn't think in stereotypes then we should cast everyone in all types of roles.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hollywood has always been racist just look at the two latest Starwars movies whos main characters are white with a supporting cast of token minorities to patronise minorities. Hollywood always makes movies that are meant to support minorities and pander to white liberals but are really racist just look at movies like dances with wolves, Last of the Mohicans and Django. In Dances with wolves Kevin Costner saves and marries one of the native American women in the tribe and marries her, defeats their enemies, feeds them, finds the buffalo for them and eventually protects them against racist whites so the movie is not about the native Americans its a white liberals fantasy of being the hero of mino. Same for last of the Mohicans which is meant to be about the last two men of a native American tribe but somehow its all about Daniel Day Lewis' s friendly white character who white liberals can relate too because though he's white he's not really and is one of the tribe which is what every white liberal wants. Django is the same basically it revolves around white liberals favourite subject black slavery and for white sjw's this movie is like porn because it depicts all whites as evil racists barring one white liberal European who save Django freeing him from slavery, gives him a job and teaches him many life lesson eventually helping Django free his wife and to kill racist white people. To be perfectly honest Tarrantino was racist due to his use of the word n** and from what I see of his movies he has a weird fettish for black people. From the movie birth of a nation to the present Hollywood has always been racist. Just look at how they seem to think that any coffee colored person can play a person of middle eastern descent which is as racist as white people dressing in black face or as native Americans. can't believe Johnny Depp got a pass for Tonto. Most of Hollywood movies that involve other races are made to highlight "white guilt" and help liberals feel good about themselves, thats why there's always one white hero with a supporting minority cast. White liberal all have a white saviour complex and dont think minorities can get by without them or from welfare and freebies, Liberal Hollywood reflects this.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 21

• I guess it comes down to money versus authenticity. The big name actor makes more profit for the movie. The diversity of the big name acting talent is a problem and that is also most likely an issue of who gets promoted, not just who has talent. I'm very sure that the acting world is hugely diverse, yet some people get promoted and some don't.

So, for me, it comes down to more than just the casting. It comes down to who is allowed to really get ahead in the acting world. The real box office stars are quite narrow in diversity.

• You see a problem with a white guy in an Asiatic setting whereas there's somehow a Black Man in amongst Scandinavian gods (Marvel's Thor mobies).

• Hollywood isn't even willing to risk original scripts that aren't based off of other mediums or sequels or remakes/reboots. They absolutely do not want to lose any money.

So yeah, get used to weird casting choices if it means they can plug in a more proven bankable star as the main character. They aren't going to risk a huge budget movie with an Asian or Native American, etc. actor that no one in the US has ever heard of.

The film industry sucks dick.

• This is very much true and I'm quite sure it's the reason for Matt Damon being cast in a movie about ancient China.

• The Matt Damon role is just weird, not necessarily racist, because it's not based on an existing story. I think Hollywood is long past the time where Arabs were played by white actors with bronzer on their faces, but white, and also black, actors still do tend to take up a lot of roles that would be more suited to actors from other ethnicities. Then again, isn't it racist in itself to demand actors of a certain ethnicity in movies that are not about authenticity?

But I'm curious how Chinese, Indian and African moviemakers depict roles outside of their own race.

• Add Scarlett Johansson - Ghost in the shell as well.
    I am fine with it and i don't see this as an issue. Casting directors must consider many factors for choosing the actors.
    1) Budget 2) Commercial Success 3) Profit 4) Experience 5) Talent-Capability 6) Characteristic and so on. I will explain each element as short as possible.

-An unknown actor but native to the role might be cheaper, but there is risk of commercial success. Many won't take that risk.
    -The right cast can bring more commercial success, brands, companies and deals on the table for the movie, the trust is established. And many organizations will feel comfortable to participate for the quality of the movie.
    -You spend coins to receive coins. The name of the cast makes people interested. The movie above, personally, i have no interest in Asian history, But if Matt Damon played, i trust him and like his acting. So probably i'm gonna give a movie a try.
    -The previous experience of the actor can play a huge role for his selection on certain movies.
    -It is important if the actor can handle the role. A director can't risk to forcefully pick a native actor regarding the background of the role while there is no actor available to bring satisfaction and ignite the role. I would myself expand my options instead of choosing between bad and worst.
    -The characteristic is very crucial. Never forget, many roles requires certain characteristic and physical features. Many actors get picked just because they are the tallest available for the role, or they know a particular sport or they are a good driver and such! There are many good Chines actors out there like Jackie Chan to play the Great Wall, but maybe his traits don't fit the character. as simple as that.
    (Tips): Many cultural-historical movies get two sided deal. For instance, the movie "The Message" Anthony Quinn played as Hamza, an Arabic character, The Arabs payed Hollywood to make a movie to get Islam heard, and a famous actor would bring more commercial success to the movie. So even at this case, Chines could even involve, even if not, yet they should be happy, Matt Damon is helping part of Chines history to be heard much more vastly.

To prove you this is not about "Race". Look at the famous TV show, The Walking Dead, Andrew Lincoln is British with a British accent, he worked hard to get the American accent for the movie, wouldn't be easier for both sides to choose an American one from the first place? But this is not about that.

• Here we have a 16 year old girl complaining about white washing.
    She didn't complain about black Julius cesar, black Lancelot, black Hannibal, black Egyptians, gay Alexander the great, transgender Frederick the Great, "all White people are evil" narrative in Star Wars, Vikings with Asian and lesbian lovers for the sake of political correctness, gays in Star Trek and ndependence day, gays gays gays agys everywhere, feminists Ghostbusters, feminist Rey in Star Wars, feminist Jyn in Rogue One, black scientists in every sci fi movie saving the world, lesbian and gay animation characters like Korra or that abomination Frozen, Django "Kill White people and get paid for. What's not to like?", Red Tails "Yo we was black pilots and shit and saved the World from WW2", Kingdom of Heaven with the Evil bad Christians and the good respectful and just muslims, poor Mexicans and evil Whites in Machete. The list goes on and on. So don't complain about White washing. Intead stop wasting money on trash like the majority of women do.

• Hollywood is the great mecca of the effete, intellectual, liberal snobs. However, as a compassionate conservative, I view much of liberalism as racism 2.1 E. g., programs such as AFDC keep minorities in a dependent status and beholden to liberals for their continued existence ("of course we'll vote for you!") Liberals want entitlement programs to have no limits because they don't believe that it is realistic to expect minorities to ever take care of themselves.

That Hollywood would engage in a practice that is so very racist in incredibly hypocritical but consistent with the history of American liberalism.

• Films made in the White part of the world are inevitably going to star more White actors than films made elsewhere.

• There are a handful of Hollywood Asian actors and actresses and finding good ones aren't easy.

Most people prefer to stick to their own cultures. It's kinda hard to imagine Qin Shi Huang as the ultimate facist and conqueror when people only know Hitler and Cesar.

If you cast some Asian dude then this movie would be closer to a B rate movie in the box office.

For Asian movies and such, usually they try to find a foreigner for a foreigner role and it's usually a minor role. Most aren't actors and actresses, just a stand in or similar. There was an English guy who kept getting the role as police Chief in Hong Kong movies and TV shows in almost every shows for decades. The guy spoke Chinese and English and he had like 20 lines per movies and TV shows.

• I believe they should take an actor or actress from the historically correct ethnicity for the sake of realism.

• I think for the sake of authenticity, producers should cast actors that look the part - and that includes their race.

But then again, it is their movie, and they have every right to cast whoever they want.

• Hollywood hasn't changed since the 1930s, it's run by racist a**holes. They will tell you casting decisions are commercial decisions, but really it's about not wanting to share with people of color.

• The Matt Damon thing is weird. To be honest I think hollywood generally includes minorities quite a bit (atleast in the last 5-10 years). If you take into the account of say minorities in the UK... You'd expect 10-20% of characters to be non white... when in reality it's likely higher. I don't get people expecting it to literally to be 50% white people and 50% black for it to be fair...

• I really dont give a shit... as long as the actor is charismatic and convincing.

• The interesting thing about China is the fact that more and more things are cast with Chinese things and people in them. China's investing heavily in our industry and so is ours to theirs

• I couldn't care less about Hollywood.

• I really don't think about it to much

• You sound racist

• Even though I am a short guy, I think it's fair that White people get main roles in White countries.

• White people rule he world. Deal wth it.

• how do you know they didn't have natives and chinese actors, trying out for the part. maybe the white ones just did a better job

why did kaepernick lose his job. he sucked!

• given how overwhelmingly white Hollywood is, how probable is it that ethnic actors aren't good enough incidentally, think about the logistics of that.

• hey, ya never know, ya just never know. like i said, it's got nothing to do with race, he lost his job, because he sucks

• logistically doubtful

What Girls Said 6

• I think the look of the characters should be at least somewhat historically accurate. Getting the race/ethnicity right doesn't seem that difficult to me..

• I think if the character is an Asian, native America, etc... then shouldn't put a White actor that's just dumb.
    As dumb as when they put a Black actor when the character is White in the comics.
    They should respect it.
    I don't think this is racism but just for the sucess of the movie, they put this actor because they're very popular so that Reassured them.
    But it ll be better to put an actor who fit the roles and not choose them because they're popular.

• It's stupid.
    there's a term for this hiring process it's called something like "bonafide requirement" which means it wouldn't make sense for another person of that background/age or whatever to play that role. That'll be my on my exam today let's hope I remember this shit. 😂

I want more diverse casting. Sick of seeing the same 20 people tbh lmao.

• I think the cast should be racially accurate wherever possible.

• typical whitewashing in hollyshitwood

• i think thats ok