Poor filmmaking vs viewer expectations: what is worse?

Generally speaking, do you think viewers inflated, unrealistic pre-conceived expectations of films spoils the viewing experience OR are most films nowadays objectivity that bad and deserving of harsh criticism? Regarding film criticism how much do you think is fair based on the what I wrote? Elaborate and detailed responses are appreciated.

Bump

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of the newer films ARE objectively that bad.

Virtually anything vomited out by Hollywood today attempts to cater to everyone. Which of course is impossible. You end up catering to no one with your generic attempts.

There are a lot of other issues, though.

What happened to musical scores? Does anything coming out nowadays that isn't part of an older franchise have any music attached that will be memorable at all in a decade or two? I find it very difficult to think of any.

The over reliance of CGI over practical effects. Obviously some movies don't work without CGI, but so many more things could be done practically. There is simply no reality where actors reacting to nothing on a green screen is going to come off as anything but borderline soulless when in comparison to the old films of the 60s-90s that used real sets and real props/animatronics/makeup/puppets, etc.

Directors. It feels like big studios would rather make sure that anything with promise and a budget is going to be helmed by whatever lap dog they have under their boots as opposed to guys with talent that might fight and argue with them on different choices and budgetary issues. Someone that actually might want the film to be worth while.

The writing on most of these things is so beyond generic that I just get angry watching most of this stuff nowadays. Nothing attempting to be clever or risky. Constant poor knock offs of whatever might have worked in the past. If something is incapable of being well written, it should have terrible writing. At least then it could be it's own level of amusing. Generic is about the worst place you can be.

It's all a shit show.

• The writing is easily the worst. Filmmakers keep complaining that our expectations are too high so they have to invest so much more money into special effects and CGI. Yet that misses the point entirely. Instead we just want better writing - you know, some real English majors and maybe even authors actually helping write the film? My favorite films are from the 1960s up to the 1980s precisely because they did this, like Dawn of the Dead for example which consulted Stephen King. Even the Twilight Zone is better than all of this new crap. They actually consulted well known authors.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think people sometimes expect too much and the pre-conceived expectations can ruin it, especially with a movie that has a lot of hype before it's released.
    A good example, in my opinion, is Suicide Squad.

• for movie franchises in particular, I feel the fan culture and demands they make gets way out of hand, its not fair on the filmmakers because its near impossible to meet their expectations.

• I'd 100% agree with that.

What Guys Said 12

• Viewer expectations because it's so hard to impress people. In movies, video games, tv shows and music people always complain and say "they don't make them good anymore." Each person expects something different that's why it's so hard for pieces of entertainment to get a 10/10. The 4th Indiana Jones received a lot of criticism from people that expected the film to go their way. Let's hope the next Indiana Jones in 2019 will please at least most of the fans.

• I feel the demands of fan culture has gotten way out of control. its impossible to please them

• I think people let their nostalgia get out of control, so they expect every new movie to be like it's predecessor. I wouldn't be surprised if future generations say "They don't make them good anymore." when they refer to current movies.

• That's true, also the saying "The grass is always greener" suits them because if fans constantly request something from the entertainment industries and they get it, they will complain and say they liked it better before.

• I believe that movies, much like games, have been affected by the visual capabilities that we have today. When we didn't have such advanced graphics and CGI a movie or game really had to rely on the concept, the plot, the idea. Some of the best games of all time were made at a time when graphics were pretty piss poor. The same applies to movies.

Having the ability to throw amazing visuals at a project often provides an easy option and it can be a cover for a very weak script. There are too many big movies that really fail to deliver on quality, they only deliver big screen visuals.

• Inflated expectations do not arise in a vacuum. They are created by the very deliberate and orchestrated PR campaign which precedes the release of a film. If viewer expectations are a monster, it is a monster which the filmmakers have created.

• I think it was good film making that lead to high expectations and modern films not living up to that standard.

Jurassic Parks
    Terminators
    Indiana Jones
    Lord of the Rings (especially)

Dono if you've seen any of these most of them came out before you were born :P

Modern filmmaking relies too heavily on poor CGI (which has gotten worse o. O) Just look at LOTR which used stuntmen and costumes vs the Hobbit which used CGI...

Overall i think it's definitely bad filmmaking.

• Neither. I think rather that filmmakers are getting it entirely wrong. It is not about special effects and budget. It is about poor writing and scripts. This I am especially passionate about as an English major. Too many films think that special effects compensate for lousy writing. They don't. My favorite films are from the 1960s and 1970s where the writing was superb. Even the Twilight Zone is better than 90% of horror films today.

• Films are made to entertain. We pay to see their work. If it's shit, then we, as patrons and them as producers, deserve to express our opinions

• Given the price asked by movie theaters, people expect something better than Hollywood makes.
    I stopped going to the movies, I see what's on the television or I hire a dvd. It lowers price and expectations.

• I think if you hype up a film the viewer expectations will be high. So if its a bad film dont hype it up too much in the first place.

• It's a little inflated. I mean, look at movies like "Star Wars" or "Back to the Future". If these movies were made today, they'd get so much hate for bad special effects and plot holes.

• Film making quality has decreased a lot over the years.

• My expectations of movies are extremely low, and I still get disappointed. After seeing Star Wars: the Force Awakens I didn't want to go on living.

• I think viewer expectations are really high nowadays but that's a good thing because in return filmmakers are making better movies.

What Girls Said 0