Do you agree that there should be a gay Disney character?

• Yes
  • No
  • Unsure
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1736

Most Helpful Guy

• It sucks to see people connecting sexuality to a movie being family-friendly. As long as it's appropriate the movie would be family-friendly nonetheless the sexuality represented. I definitely think Disney can make a gay romance intergrated into one of their movies. People are accepting of it now, but sadly there are people who are very close-minded and narrow and possible protests around the movie are the reason for which I believe Disney is delaying this. We hopefully will be a bit more peaceful and open-minded in the near future.

Most Helpful Girl

• i think they should, the world needs to be educated because so many people aren't living in the 21st century. they have a black princess, why not a gay prince/princess? it shows kids that it is okay to be gay, straight or bi, and the adults who have a problem with this are the type of people that need to be educated and maybe can learn off of disney movies. besides, kids are the future, so if we can teach them what our generation and older ones failed to, then the world will become a less horrible place to live

What Guys Said 35

• No. I don't think that sexuality should be brought into a movie for young children.

• I don't care if there is or not, but if the story is based on a fairytale like many of Disney movies, then there shouldn't be any gay character.
    I feel like they're just trying to force this down our throats, like everything has to be gay, trans, feminists, genderqueer... and all that shit. For people who claim to not care what others are, they sure put a lot of importance into their shit.

• Well it'd be boring if we kept to told times all the time

• Aren't supposed to be*

• It still needs to be somewhat accurate to the real fairytale. Making gay characters would make no sense and would make Disney look like a total idiot who doesn't care about accuracy and context, willing to make a shit story just to appease the SJW.

• i think this day in age media should reflect aspects of society and since homosexuality is very present in society media should reflect that. especially in media targeted at children they should make sure to accurately represent to an extent the world we live in

• no. disney makes traditional movies. they should not be told what kind of movies to make. something that already exists should not be changed to fit the current political narrative. why should something traditional be taken away to put something progressive in place? i dont like the message of that, it implies tradition has no more place in society today, despite it being a vital component of a culture and society.

if you want movies to be made with progressiveness in mind then why not make a progressive equivalent of disney? Why must you insist on taking something away what already exists to put something progressive in return all of the sake of a political narrative?

• Fuck no! Its bad enough the media is forcing that sick shit on us. But thats one thing. But showing sick shit to children should be a crime

• No for the same reason why their are no straight characters, their characters. If your going out of your way to make a character gay then your not really telling a story your trying to push an idea. If a character happens to be gay fine but it would have to fit the story and feel natural no different then when they try to shove a love story into a movie/story where it doesn't belong. Thats the problem with a lot of things, like blacksploitation movies, they where black stories instead of just stories that had black people in them, if that makes sense.

• lol how do they not write straight characters? They write about romance between Mickey and Minnie Mouse between Donald and Daisy Duck. If they didn't involve romantic attraction at all in disney stories i could see your point but they do.

• @pavlove I mean when you try to force it into a story where it doesn't belong, it should feel natural not hamfisted. Like in the rather famous movie "the maltese falcon", their is a love story but it seems really forced and actually detracts from the story because it doesn't fit the story (it was an old noir movie with Humphrey Bogart). I have watched a movie where the main character was gay and it actually fit even though the original sources material did not have a gay character but then it was ruined when they tried to fit a romance story into it (the genre was horror) and it felt unnatural, it broke the immersion. That is what I mean, don't go out of your way trying to force something to happen in a story, write a good story with good characters and if the character happens to be gay fine, if their is a gay romance fine so long as it belongs with in the story and does not break the person immersion in the story. Thats the difference.

• No. I'm all for equal representation but you don't need to force diversity into everything.

I don't see the need to politicize a children's entertainment with the aim of further the gay agenda.

As said kids grow-up they will come into contact with more inclusive media.

Furthermore, Disney is traditional, why should they change what works to pander to minorities?

• I don't care if a character is gay, bi or straight as long as it makes sense and does something for the story, but I don't think we should make a gay character just for the sake of him being gay.

• There are plenty of gay Disney characters already.
    www.buzzfeed.com/.../disney-characters-who-were-probably-gay

• I think they should leave sexuality out of Disney cartoons and animations. They should be fun to watch with no agenda.

• I really don't care

• Nope. That abnormal behavior should not be normalized for children.

• Well, it would be nice for disney to present characters and stories that are more like reality. But it's Disney so I don't think that will happen

• The market for children of gay people isn't exactly a gold rush...

• No.. Disney is for children. Children who watch Disney aren't usually in tact with any type of sexuality yet. That's completely inappropriate.

• Yes because heteronormativity is a mental disease that needs to be cured...

• No.
    Homosexuality is not normal, natural, or desirable.
    The creation of a gay Disney character would be another example of the global elite (of which Disney is part) using the entertainment media to inflict psychological conditioning upon children.

• Why is it an issue for people? Its just a movie or tv series. Its not going to affect them personally.

• yup they already got the black princess

• Not as important as other things in life to me

• No

.

• It's all just a marketing ploy, who gives a shit.

• Let them be free from any discretions.

• They already do. Once Upon a Time is an ABC show and so a Disney show. Granted their disney characters live in a different timeline/universe but they're still Disney characters sanctioned by the Disney company

• i couldn't care less

• who cares

• No that's gay. It's like if they featured a vegetarian character. It's just not a healthy or natural lifestyle.

• I don't support it neither do I oppose it

• Why?

• Should James bond be black?

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 16

• there was the gay couple in frozen but thats it! I think it would be great to have a movie with two princes/ two princesses who love each other! its important to show kids diversity.

• I really dont care. I dont have any desire to see a gay character in a primary role in a disney film, but if they want to make one then by all means go for it. If the film seems entertaining to me i might watch it, but probably not.

• Meh, I don't particularly care, but sure, I don't see a reason why not.

• Just pointing out in a roundabout way - if you are personally looking to see what it would look like if Disney characters were gay, have a quick look at FanFiction stories. I guarantee you'll have formed an opinion after that, and you'll be surprised to see some crazy character development and creative storylines by some people there.

• I don't think there should be. Disney is fine the way it is and the way it always has been.

• Hell fucking no

• Why not? As long as it makes sense and done right. But first can we get more diverse Princesses like wtf Disney?

• No, just no...

• I don't see why there shouldn't be, I'd support it.

• Duh. Everyone should be included. The world isn't JUST straight people y'know.

• but it is 95% of the population.

• @hellionthesagereborn you still can't say 5% is gay or 95 % is straight. Again, you cannot "test" for gay and you're leaving out bi people.

• Yes I can say that as surveys show it fairly consistently, sure it may be slightly different but not to a statistically significant degree, also the studies included bisexuals and transgender people as well. "the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual.", "In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender).", Studies from several nations, including the U. S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2[3] to 6.8[4] percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT." Multiple studies all showing fairly consistently that its about 5% or less. So, yes I can say that as data supports the statement. Why is that an issue? Is it wrong that most human beings are heterosexual? I didn't think that heterosexuality was something we should be

• hell no

• NO, this is disney I already doesn't like the new disney I prefer the old one so a gay character would be the death of disney.

• No. There is no need for it besides shoving shit in people's faces that don't give a fuck about.

• No, not as of yet in this time age. Kids have not come out of the closet as of yet to what is going on in this wild world.

• Surely they'll gain a better understanding?

• lol! I am sure with talk in the family with news even on tv, they get enough of an earful.

• There already are, duh.
    I mean, OTP IronShield, WinterShield, ShieldTricks. They're a thing.
    #disneyvengers

• Also, wasn't that new Frozen movie about a lesbian ice witch and her childhood peasant lover Anna or something?

• No they were sisters

• Oh, progressive!

• We should not fuck with children's minds...

• Aren't we doing the same in shoving heterosexual relationships in their faces?

• Honestly, homosexuality seems like a great thing, however if everyone becomes homo then the population will eventually sky rocket to 0. I think its great enough to allow gay/lesbian marriages, but children are sensitive they may even question their parents relationship as to why a male and female are together when there are gay/lesbian relationships in disney movies.

• Lololol, there's more straight people than LGBT people in the world and most bisexual women end up with men anyway, there's no chance in the population decreasing. Maybe you should think of a better excuse.