Opinions on today's Nintendo Switch presentation?

Honestly, I found it pretty disappointing. Like... where are the interesting launch titles? Good, they have Zelda but other than that? The new Mario only at the end of the year, Splatoon 2 in summer (which as multiplayer only game isn't as interesting for many) and for the other more interesting titles like they didn't even have a date, which means that they will come out earliest end of the year. Many of what got shown probably only 2018.

It's like they haven't learned from their mistakes. You NEED a strong launch lineup and first year. But other than Zelda, the games they showed were nothing that makes a console interesting.
Skyrim is coming? Yeah, way too late, worse looking than on PS4 and XBO and most likely only later this year too. And the fact that EA only announced that they will bring FIFA tells everything. They obviously don't have much interest in it.

The gameplay showed that the power of the console is also clearly below the PS4 and XBO, which was to be expected since it's small and portable. Slightly better than the Wii U if it's even that. For people like me who wanna use it mainly as home console, that's pretty disappointing. And even with that they say 2-6hrs of battery life depending on the game... so you can be sure that more graphical intense games like Zelda or Xenoblade will be 2-3 hrs.

The first part with the hardware presentation was gimmicky asf. And the overall show was dry and as Nintendoesque as it could be. Well, at least that doesn't matter for the actual console but this is not how you sell stuff.

Price as expected. I really want a Nintendo system again but I was unsure before today's presentation... and I'm even more right now. If you want me to buy your system then show some awesome games that I can buy in the NEAR future and not earliest half a year later :s

details about the announced paid online service
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

so you need it for multiplayer and get 1 NES or SNES game every month... that's pretty weak compared to the competition, so I hope it will be cheaper.

Most Helpful Girl

• Something else they said was that the switch won't be region locked. With every other console they have made they have all been region locked. Another thing is that they will make it so that you could link your game cube to the switch and play things from that. I'm really happy about disgeae 5 being on the switch since I don't want to buy a ps4 since I don't like most of the games on it.

People can say shit about the switch all they want but all that truly matters is the games you would get over time.

• "said was that the switch won't be region locked"
      I won't celebrate them for something they should have abandoned 10 years ago like everyone else lol

"People can say shit about the switch all they want but all that truly matters is the games you would get over time."

and that's exactly the problem. they didn't show many exciting games. the launch lineup and first year is EXTREMELY important for the success of the console. They announced exactly 2 games for the launch, Zelda and 1, 2 Switch. The latter one is definitely no system seller and other than those, they didn't announced much coming soon. And you can already see that the party support of the big publishers is lacking again... those might not be as important for the big Nintendo fans, but those are the ones than bring many new customers.

They risk of doing the same mistakes they did with the last generation. Also, they say it's mainly a home console but sell you then Wii U graphics for the price of a PS4 Pro.

• and in the future you could capture video as well, so I hope that part truly does happen.

• Just now saw the party game that's going to released on launch date. Honestly that's fucking mind blowing on how it would work.

Most Helpful Guy

• A new Xenoblade, a new Square-Enix rpg, new Shin Megami Tensei game, multiple dragon quest games, Fire Emblem. That's a lot of great Japanese RPGs coming to Switch. JRPGs are my favorite games so I'm stoked for that. We don't know when releases will be but they claim to have over 80 games currently in development.

The presentation was very Japanese and you can tell they were trying to appeal to Japanese audiences. It wasn't like Sony or Microsoft who have very westernized styled presentations even though Sony is a Japanese company. I watched it live and a lot of people said they were cringing at a lot of the comedy. I grew up watching a lot of Tokyo Game Show presentations so I'm used to the quirky weirdness. I welcome that over the usual western styled presentations which are obsessed with making everything badass. The translating was horrid though.. I have no idea where they picked those guys up.

But even with the games I'm looking forward to, the event was a rollercoaster ride. You can tell they're pushing the same types of games that make their handhelds so damn popular. I was expecting a console Pokémon to round that off. The games they announced are the types that make Nintendo handhelds sell off the shelves. Is there anyone that buys a DS or 3DS for games other than 1st party titles, JRPGs, and adventure games? Let's be real here, Nintendo is never going to appeal Call of Duty audiences or people who are into genres like that. They have a niche audience and you can tell that this generation they're trying to appeal not only to that but to the casual market that made the original Wii one of the most successful consoles of all time. Maybe they'll hit that and maybe they won't but only time will tell.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 5

• No seen it yet as I've been busy but ill be catching it tomorrow morning.

My first response is... of course its not going to look as nice as ps4 and xbox, i would be shocked and amazed if it looked the same and managed the same gameplay experience. Battery life 2-3 hrs... seems kind a low, but might be ok, i dunno that i'll ever want the more in depth kind of gaming experience for much longer and not be near a power outlet.

Im generally confused by the switch. I've been skeptical about this, but im eager to get my hands on one and give it a shot. Im not sure there is a place for this 'tween the home and the phone experience.

• I am actually looking forward to it and I didn't feel as disappointed as you lol. I mean sure, I do wish there was more variety, but I'm going to wait to see what else they have planned for the future before I completely disregard it.
    But it's like Nintendo is never satisfied with their controls, they're always making somewhat gimmicky new ones with each console. I thought by now it'd be like "finalized" like how Sony Playstation controllers are pretty similar to each previous generation. However, I do like the Switch new controller design as the Wii U controller is a bit bulky and awkward.

I guess I'm going to remain hopeful.

• I'm not really a gamer so I can't comment

• lol you know im not a gamer

• No idea about all of that and don t care really 😂

What Guys Said 11

• I always say the same thing. Nintendo is so preoccupied with being unique, quirky, and innovative, that they neglect the most basic necessities of video game consoles.

"Running power and graphics? Pfffttt, that's not important! Let's make a funky controller that transforms into a tiny screen instead!"

"Online multiplayer? Nah, 1 game is enough. Let's focus on making our... CONSOLE... portable. Who cares if it defeats the entire purpose of a console in the first place? Who cares if we compete with our own products by making our entire line of handhelds completely unnecessary?"

• To clarify: I'm still buying it. No matter how unprofessional their systems are, Nintendo still has a patent on it's games. I'd rather play their games on a PC or even PS4, but what are ya gonna do?

• I'm still looking to the Switch for the four confirmed games, LoZ Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Splatoon 2.

True, the Switch's launch title lineups aren't quite strong but let's not forget that neither did the PS4 or the Xbox One had a good launch title lineups when they were first released almost 4 years ago yet that still didn't stop anyone from buying the consoles.

• I don't think you can compare the PS4/XBO launch lineup situation with Nintendo. Both consoles follow the same concept as their predecessor, it's basically the same with much more power. They are the market leaders and you know that they will have good support from all the publishers in the future. You don't take any risk. Also, they didn't have any real killer game at launch, but there were still many games to choose from.

Nintendo is in a completely different position. The gamecube sold shit. The Wii sold extremely well, but they didn't sell many games for it. The Wii U sold shit again. Only their handheld market is strong. Most third party publishers quickly abondoned the Wii U and the new console isn't really more powerful because of the hybrid concept. So if you own already a Wii U, there is no real reason to buy a switch at launch because the only strong title, Zelda, is available for the old console too and looks pretty much the same

• because Nintendo does its own thing and doesn't participate in the race with the other two, they need to convince people with good games if they wanna sell them to other people than just the hardcore Nintendo fans. While they showed and announced some interesting ones, only Zelda will be available at launch. That's what worries me. Low power, different architecture and few good games is what caused the Wii U trouble, and they seem to start again like that. And not everyone is willing to pay almost 400 bucks just to play Zelda for now. (I have one preordered but not sure if I'll cancel it and wait or buy it)

• I'll wait fotr the Gameboy Classic

• I liked it. im getting it day one for zelda

• I called this one over hyped long in advance..

• I don't care tbh. Not really a nintendo or console guy

• I will probably wait first. This is because it seems to lack the ability to run popular games right now like Grand Theft Auto V. I would get it if it will work though.

• it doesn't look like there will be huge support from the big western publishers right now. And the performance is only slightly above the one of the Wii U, which again was only slightly above the one of PS3 and XB360 and Rockstar has stopped the support for those so I can't see GTA V coming to the Switch right now. You never know but it seems unlikely to me

• Nintendo is not my kinda console
    ps4 is

• I thought they'd learn to work a niche instead of relying completely on fandoms and gimmicks. Honestly disappointed, but hey, Zelda.

• haven't seen it yet, will take a look later.

• Couldn't care less tbh. I'm currently deciding if I should buy a PS4 while it's on sale