How do you think Disney films affect children?

So, I've got to write a paper for a sociology class, and we had to pick a subject and connect it to media in some way. I wanted to write about something interesting so I was thinking of writing about Disney films (and their messages) and how they influence the behavior of children. Problem is, I can't really pin it down to a specific aspect or effect, so I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys. So, how do you think Disney films affect children and their social behavior? It can be positive or negative aspects, whatever you can think of would be really helpful and great! 😁

Updates:
Thank you all for commenting and sharing ideas!! They were all taken into consideration and they helped me write my paper!! I appreciate them all!! :)

0|0
3|5

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe they are targeted at girls and women will use how the princesses are treated in the films as standard for how men in real life should treat women.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• disney movies are said to alter a child's idea. For example barbie became controversial for the simple reason of looks and how girls wanted to look just like her so they would eat less or feel less important because of her being quote on quote white (?). what I mean is girls want to be like the disney princesses this could be on a positive or negative note. Once elsa came out you saw more of Girl power idea. rather than In Ariel where the "hidden" message is she gives up her voice for a guy. Which is pretty dark to me, considering women have struggled with this issue for while.. make sense?

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• not that I think either way is negative but you can definitely see a change in how Disney films try to teach children things. Like all the old princess movies were about the princess finding her prince and being saved, and now there's a lot more about the princess being independent and doing things for herself

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I don't wanna talk about "sexual hidden messages" but c'mon even in GaG there is lots of under 18 "children's" asking about "when did you lose your virginity and how was it?" "I think my teacher likes and stares me, should I be with him?" and blah blah you name it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it gives people an unrealistic expectation of life when it has a perfect fairy tale ending

1|0
    0|0
  • well, think about how they're groomed during disney, and then what happens, once they're no longer with disney. especially Brittney

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• It makes you fat

1|0
    0|0
  • I think the Disney Princesses are very diverse, therefore each child could relate or feel closer to them somehow.

1|0
    0|0