Drawing by tracing?

I used to draw a lot (portraits). I did so by tracing a picture while using a raster. Drawing had become something negative for me, because I heard so many negative comments on people who trace. Like "they aren't real artists", "tracing is the worst" etc. What do you think?

• Tracing is absolutely fine and doesn't make you a bad artist
  • Tracing is okay
  • Tracing is not okay
    Vote C
  • Tracing is cheating and makes you a bad artist
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Tracing is okay but really, tracing is not expected for the drawers who have more skills. Tracing is more of a stepping stone to just starting out drawing.

Most Helpful Girl

• If your just starting, then it's alright. But try to ditch it as soon as you can. Instead of tracing, try looking at the picture and drawing it without tracing

What Guys Said 2

• In all honesty, I do not like tracing or tracers. I can say it can start you off well, but for better drawings, you're going to need to learn to begin on your own.

• I think it's ok as long as it helps at some point to motivate you to draw more.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!