What would happen if you made a gaming computer using a supermicro NVIDIA TESLA?

$112,111.46
reconfigured solutions from NVIDIA provide a powerful tool for researchers and scientists to advance their science through faster simulations. SimCluster is the easiest way to start using GPUs that offer supercomputing scale HPC performance at substantially lower costs and power. Experience a significant performance increase in a wide range of applications from various scientific domains. Supercharge your research with TESLA GPU SimCluster today!
Product Type Graphics Computing System Brand Name Supermicro Manufacturer Supermicro Computer, Inc Product Name NVIDIA TESLA GPU SimCluster Manufacturer Part Number SRS-14URKS-GPUS-12 Manufacturer Website Address http://www.supermicro.com Weight (Approximate) 534 lb
SPECIFICATIONS
General InformationProduct TypeGraphics Computing SystemBrand NameSupermicroManufacturerSupermicro Computer, IncProduct NameNVIDIA TESLA GPU SimClusterManufacturer Part NumberSRS-14URKS-GPUS-12Manufacturer Website Addresshttp://www.supermicro.comPhysical CharacteristicsWeight (Approximate)534 lb

Its like one of the most powerful graphics engines in the world

Most Helpful Girl

• Assuming you could actually afford to get a dev team you might be able to do some interesting post processing following game events so you could render 1000 fps at 4K in slow motion, but then you'd also need a comparable CPU, and some creative ideas could tie that back into gameplay... a shit ton of money for something that is going to be amazing for about 2minutes and then gimmicky after.

• so it would be awesome is what you're saying

• If you add a CPU and a ginormous budget for development you could certainly do some awesome things, but the amazing stuff would come from the game mechanics and less so from the graphics

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be worthless without developers who had access to the same technology. Atari 2600 games can be run on a Supercomputer using an emulator, but there is no difference graphics or speed.
    It's the games that matter more than the machine.

• Not everything is about games You're thinking primativly.

Engineering and weather processing software use GPU which runs faster with better specs.

For example my computational fluid dynamics software runs a simulation on an F22, and it takes 6 days to run with 0.01% of the accuracy of the actual conditions.

With this the simulation a simulation at 10% could take a few hours.

• @yucel_eden the question was only about a gaming PC. He didn't say anything about another type of use.

• Yeah I skimmed over it lol

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 14

• Well theoretically the pieces are pretty much already there. People already use V-ray on machines which are basically a bunch of GPU's strapped together to run practically real time renders.

V-ray for anyone who isn't a 3D artist, is a rendering software. 3D image processing for movies and media is much more power hungry than a video game. You're computer which runs the new Battlefield game at the highest settings in 4k would likely need over 15 minutes to render out a single frame of, lets say a car in a field with grass in 2k

So if some random guys could build something for around $15,000 and get that to run, pretty close to real time, you could probably use that super computer to do some serious graphics in a reasonable resolution at a reasonable frame rate. You would just need your gaming software to always be manipulating the settings of the renderer to always set itself up for the best optimized render speed. And to figure out a few other quirks. Like for example, these renderers run almost entirely on the CPU, so you would need something that's been totally re-worked. You could also load more stuff at once, lowering load times, more geometry moving at once. Since we're talking about delegating tasks which normally take place on the CPU to the GPU the possibilities are really endless. Especially if there were multiple processors and the software was written to take advantage.

• I know someone who might actually be able to use that. For example in the past he ran 100 parallel xeon processors, and it could still take all weekend to run a single simulation. That cost is nothing if it actually works. Heck, I've used software myself that cost that much for one seat.

I'll send this to him and see what he says.

• It's not a gaming card. Yes it sounds glorious and stuff, but it's designed for mass processing, and might not even run games.

• No video games on the market today can achieve the level of parallelism necessary to take advantage of the Tesla platform. Even if you did redesign a game to do so, you would suffer from massive latency on the interconnect fabric, which would make your FPS very poor.

The reason for this is because the Tesla is designed for non-realtime vector processing in batches, and is not a streaming solution like the GeForce line is.

• it would draw more polygons and move at faster frame rate. But the developers and modelers probably have a limit on how many polygons are drawn in accordance with gpu speed at the moment so it probably won't be much better than a high end gammer card or multiple gpus.

• Their would be an angry mob of neighbors at my front door waiting to get their revenge for knocking out their power. If I didn't knock out the power, I'd be able to play all my game in ultra quality at 8K.

• You would need to write your own games to run on it and take advantage of the architecture. It comes delivered with the ability to speed up code written for AMBER, NAMD and LAMMPS

• Tbh I don't know if there would be a huge difference because the tesla is made for an research and therefore has more computing power for that, games also might not be able to take advantage of that power

• Hell I'd be able to shoot a rocket out of the air with a fucking spartan laswer

• Hmm... get a proper board, a powerful processor, get a ddr4 ram and overclock it at 2600MHz then get the Tesla.
    Get the Chinese and Indians to create the best driver software and the most powerful direct X ever.
    Now you can enjoy gaming at insane frames.
    If... you can afford that. I can't right now. Sad.

• for that price, it better make me breakfast in bed in the morning, take me to work, and take care of all my "needs"

• It would have to be some virtual reality theme park attraction to make any money.

• I have no idea what this means