I have a hard time "letting go" when i'm in dance class, any advice?

I always have it in the back of my mind that my body looks awkward when i dance because i feel awkward. i also think other people will think i look awkward and point it out or i will be judged because that happened to me in the past before. i was on a dance team years ago but quit because all the girls told me i looked terrible and torn my confidence COMPLETELY apart, like everyday i came to class everyone had something bad to say. Even when my dance teacher told me to ignore them and that i was doing fine i thought he was just saying it because he felt sorry for me and then i became embarrassed so i just quit it all together. ever since i have been completely self conscious about really letting go and dance like nobody's watching. I've been self conscious about the way my body moves, because i feel like im not in tuned my my body and how it moves. How can i change my attitude or mental state when it comes to dancing because my problem is in my had but its easier said than done.

Most Helpful Guy

• I, as a boy, did hip hop dance/breakdance for a good 4 years, and a lot of other people were mean about it just because I was a boy dancing, they called me a fag, and said I looked terrible, so I quit and just practiced by myself at home for a good couple of months and just really worked on flowing with the music and keeping my moves sharp. Eventually after dancing alone for a while I found a group of break dancers all much older and more experienced than me at a park near me, and I just dance with them now. I don't know how you could relate this to your problem, but work on the basics of whatever dance you do, and finds good supporting group of people that will dance with you. That's my advice

• omg thankx your story is inspiring, and I have been practicing in my room for a few weeks now and I dont know if I'm getting any better but nothing wrong can come out of practicing so I have no other choice but to be better. Thank you.

What Guys Said 1

• Try dancing alone and seeing if you can let go when nobody is actually watching. Also it's a dance class, you aren't supposed to be good.

What Girls Said 1

• I suppose you already do, buf I think it's key in dancing. Just use a moment alone and dance naked in front of a mirror, it's a good way to feel confortable with your body and posture, and not only that because you'll notice your mistakes and really improve.