Anyone else hate when gangster rappers sell out and do way more tame family friendly music?

case and point:

1993
anyone else hate when gangster rappers sell out and do way more tame family friendly music??now
late 90's
now

i still love snoop dogg he's hilarious but his music is HORRIBLE now.

i'm talking strictly about HIS MUSIC, not other projects, i think snoop is still awesome on ggn and that new cooking show he's doing with martha stewart. I'm saying when his music isn't really edgy it stinks.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I love snoop, but they are sell outs. Ice Cube and Ice T too. Same dude that was a "Cop killer" is playing a cop 😂😂😂

• dude!!! i always hated that about ice-t, i was waiting for somebody to mention it! i love snoop too my favorite songs were murder was the case and deep cover it makes me sick hearing him sing with katy perry lol

• Thanks for MHG!

Sponsored

What Girls Said 12

• Lol, Snoop is hardly a "sellout" -- he **IS** family-friendly. I mean, do you know what he's doing with his life?
    He's been married to the same woman for 20 years (... with a short split somewhere in the middle, after which HE came running back), and he's raised something like 4 or 5 kids with her.
    Also, in his spare time, he coaches youth football programs, and he's used some of his considerable earnings to buy all new football uniforms for his old high school (... which was also *my* high school). Google "long beach poly football uniforms", they're pretty sick.

In other words, he's... grown up, basically. The evolution of his music reflects his OWN evolution.

Same thing for Ice Cube, himself one of the members of NWA ("Straight Outta Compton" -- the *original* gangsta rappers, if anyone deserves that title).
    Ice Cube has also been married to the same woman for forever-and-a-half (I think 24 years, in his case), and he has also raised a family of 4 kids with her.

Etc etc.

I mean... I think it's pretty damn cool to see those boys come up from a background as crazy/violent/fragmented as theirs, and grow up to be upstanding MEN who put their families first.
    If THAT is "selling out", then... well, we should all sell the fuck out, yes we should.

__

Not to mention, Snoop and Cube are in their mid- to late forties. There's a time and a place for aggressive bravado -- including the kind that's the foundation of gangsta rap -- and that time is *NOT* middle age.

People grow up, dude. That's... a thing. A thing that happens.
    And it's DEFINITELY not a bad thing.
    ... Nor is it "selling out".

• that isn't growing up, its completely turning from what made you famous in the first place. all the guys from wu-tang clan and b real from cypress hill are older dudes with a family to support and u'd never EVER see him doing dumb songs with katy perry.

• With Redeye, I concur.

• T. I. is another one... i use to love his music but now he has commercialized him, but most rap now days are lame ,.90s rap had more meaning behind their lyrics.

• you dont think he still wants to be commercially relivant and sell records.. but in concert still smoke weed and do all his classics on pretty much none if his new stuff...
    coz thats what we were treated to when Snoop played in. Nz a year ago

• he can do that and still be gangster he wouldn't make as much money sure but he'd still be super rich. i'm not talking about smoking weed, im just saying his new music has no edge to it at all

• Yea I love his shows but sooner or later it happens I guess they see it as them growing or making room for others to shine

• I love snoop in whatever he does

• I love him on his shows like ggn and the new cooking one, i just think his music is terrible now

• I don't know lol since I'm not really used to listen to their old music bcs I'm too young but I def like some of them for example 50 , Shady , Royce , Big Sean , little Wayne

• I don't really listen to his music I'm too young but I like his modern ones it's kl

• No I like that more

• no lol it makes them more diverse

• i agree but he has the influence..

• I don't care

• it just shows what money hungry, no self respecting, people they are

What Guys Said 2

• They have to adapt to make money. I can't blame them. Look at Eddie Murphy. How in the world did he become a family actor? People forget about his crude but very funny stand ups in the 1980's.

• awesome answer!! eddie murphy raw was the best, watching him all subdued and family friendly is awful now

• Well you got to keep up or you become irrelevant. As far as the rapping goes yea it sucks but they got to think About themselves first and if selling out mean more money then some rappers will do it.

• i'm just saying they could have stayed gangster and stayed underground for a bit less money. would u rather have 10 million bucks and ur true fans respect or 100 million dollars and ur true fans dont like u but girls in middle school everywhere love u? haha

• Yea you make a good point and for some rappers they rather have the money. That what sucks about the music industry is if you're not consistently selling big albums you get kicked to the curb. That why all these rappers now in day's are mubble rappers. they have to make sure they get that check