Did you hear about gamestops circle of life policy?

The program, called “Circle of Life,” gives each GameStop store different percentage quotas for 1) pre-orders; 2) reward card subscriptions; 3) used game sales; and 4) game trade-ins. Each of these quotas is based on the store’s total transactions. Pre-orders and reward cards subscriptions are based on the number of transactions, while used game sales and trade-ins are based on the total dollar value of transactions. If a store’s quota for used game sales is 30%, and the store sells $1,000 worth of merchandise, GameStop expects at least $300 of that merchandise to be pre-owned.

So if someone walks into GameStop and picks up, say, a brand new copy of Yakuza 0 without 1) pre-ordering another game, 2) subscribing for a new rewards card, 3) buying a used game, or 4) trading in some games to help pay for it, then the transaction will knock down all four percentages.
The more new games an employee sells, the more used games they’ll have to sell to make up for it. In other words, according to salespeople speaking to Kotaku and elsewhere on the internet, GameStop is incentivizing employees to stop people from buying new games and hardware. GameStop staff say the company has threatened to fire people who don’t hit these quotas, which is leading to all sorts of scuzzy tactics.
“We are telling people we don’t have new systems in stock so we won’t take a $300 or $400 dollar hit on our pre-owned numbers,” one GameStop employee told me in an e-mail, requesting anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to press. “This is company wide and in discussions with my peers it is a common practice. We also tell customers we don’t have copies of new games in stock when they are on sale—for example, Watch Dogs 2 is currently $29.99 new and $54.99 pre-owned. We just tell them we don’t have the new one in stock and shuffle them out the door.”
http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-program-leads-employees-to-lie-to-customer-1791874332

Most Helpful Girl

• hmm... that seems mega fishy. I don't frequent gamestop as I like to replay my RPGs until I tire of them. Retail is always pricey. not sure how to address this post in all honesty. It has a mafia-esque to it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Bricks and mortar game stores are irrelevant in today's marketplace. That's why they are pushing preowned so hard as well as merchandise like keychains and those shitty Funko Pop figures.

These tactics are just them trying to keep themselves alive for as long as they can, but they will be gone the way of Blockbuster very soon.

What Girls Said 2

• No. Its nice they are trying to sell used games and systems but lying to consumers isn't right.

• The reason is that gamestop is threatening to fire employees and punishing them if they don't

• Yeah exactly the system is backfiring I mean is that it is really gamestop's fault the employees are lying.

• fuck gamestop. they've changed so much

What Guys Said 16

• I've heard about this.

This makes sense seeing that the amount of profit from new games is limited due to lack of control of pricing and quantity.

But forcing quotas on employees, creates a chain reaction such as lying about new copies being available for said employee to protect their numbers and secure their job.

Lots of desperation from GameStop, the company must be in serious trouble.

• i'd heard about that but not the name of the policy specifically.

• I watched a machinima video on it yesterday. You can't really blame the retailers for not wanting to get fired - blame the company.

• I always buy my games on Playstation Store so they're always there. I got my console brand new from gamestop literally a few months before that policy and I remember the guy kept asking why I wouldn't want a used. I'll get my next console, brand new, from Walmart or somewhere else.

• 0|1
    • “People with targets […] will probably meet the targets - even if they have to destroy the enterprise to do it.” – Deming

• The corporates at GameStop have been crooked for a long time. There have been occasions where they force their employees to lie to customers in order to boost sales. They're going to go under like Blockbuster did, and they totally deserve it.

• I will light up fireworks in celebration of the day enough people stop supporting gamestop that they go to the same place blockbuster went...

• I overhead the employees discussing this a couple months ago they was saying about how stupid it was and that gamestop probably won't survive it.

• Man that's evil. I don't even get why they want this?

• I've stopped using them for a long time now. I switched to Gamefly and Amazon.
    Long live Gamefly!

• Well, just refuse to work somewhere if you don't like their idiotic policies (whatever they are). Go on welfare and live in mom's basement if necessary first. As a former customer I simply quit buying consoles and games there anyway. I haven't bought the DVD copy of a game (used or new anywhere) since the PS2 modchips and FF8 came out. If I was inclined I'd just get it used on ebay a year after release, tends to be far cheaper. Cheaper still to just get a Steam copy a year after day 1 release (when the GOTY edition includes all DLC free) and then wait for a sale. Impatient idiots willing to pay any price asap are why AAA games are $60-100 on day 1 and why Steam is loaded with alphas still under construction (where players are basically paying to test the developers' games).

• Why not buy from amazon

• Why buy physical copies. I buy from steam

• Between the prices and convenience its a Winning platform

• and valve treats their employees well unlike gamestop, its the perfect trifecta

• Yuuuuuuup heard about it yesterday, honestly fuck gamestop ( the people who own it )

• That's messed up

• That's weird

• Never heard of this