Do books and writing still have importance in modern life?

Are they slowly losing value with time?

Books will always be read but are their users slowly decreasing. Classic novels and plays will never be replaced, people will always want to read them but that's because they've chosen too, usually at an older age when their own tastes develop.

I'm mainly talking about the use of books amongst younger people. As a child I used to love being read stories as they were exciting, far-fetched, adventurous. Also a lot of the tales I was read had meaning behind them, a 'moral' to the story (Aesop's fables... 'tortoise and the hare', 'the thirsty crow' and tales by other writers like 'the boy who cried wolf', 'the little red hen' etc) which was an interesting way to teach a child lessons in life through something they'd take interest in... through a story.

Nowadays young children are surrounded by programmes which do a lot of this teaching for the parents, also they'll keep the child entertained whilst the parent does other things. Television has taken a small portion of the parenting away from parents, it's made things easier. Most popular books are now films, a person can get the story of a certain book without even looking at the book itself... they simply watch the film (and a lot of films don't tell the full story or tell it inaccurately in places)

I've always been good at telling stories, entertaining kids with a lot of the nonsense I talk :) and have even considered writing children's stories, seeing if I was good enough to perhaps have them published in the future but is there even that much of a place for books anymore?!?! Kids mainly learn from a screen nowadays than pages with writing on them.

Are books slowly being replaced?

Most Helpful Girl

• Do books and writing still have importance in modern life?

Yes I hate the lack of imagination shown in movies since most things are adaptations.

Books are changing & paper will most likely be out since there's something called electronic books.

These electronic books would still have the same importance of paper books if not for the media & technology. Why read a book when you can get a summary of each chapter online? Why read when you can play games, watch funny videos, or catch up on celebrity info?

Are books slowly being replaced?

Not in my life.

My laptop has helped me become more connected to books though I sometimes hate it. I'm not as tech savvy as I should be.

I love the library & the bookstore (if I go by myself my girls just get distracted in malls).

I can read books online & download booksand there is this cool site my friend sent to me where I can get free books.

What Girls Said 7

• Are you kidding. Our generation is writing more than ever, because of the computer, internet, blogs and social networks, people can freely express their opinion. And look at e-books, it put borders out of business. So for every text, every I.M., email, thing you write on Facebook, twitter. People may write in the most terrible and uneducated way of writing but people do it because it is faster and they are free to break the rules of writing properly. But I wish we did use more paper, I have a feeling humans are going to ruin their eyes much faster therefore needing glasses at a much younger age.

You can use E-books, I know it is looking at a screen but it does help. Personally I think it helps when you tell the children face to face, maybe write a story and print it out. Then read it to the children.

• It's extremely difficult to answer this question in general (though if you ask me in 5 years, I might be able to do so, because I'm going to study literature and your questions is an important subject that I'll have to study then). For now, I'll be personal.

I could not imagine my life without books. It's not like I read 24/7, but reading mostly has a gigantic impact on me. There are many books that I feel like have formed me as a person. There are poems that have made me excel myself.

Of course, there are lots of detractions to reading, and they are flashy and screaming attention. But I would trade them for books any moment. And I don't see why electronic pages should be such a treat -- I love reading poetry from websites like the poetryfoundation.org and listening to audiobooks, this doesn't stop me from loving pages of paper.

• hmmm...i think that there's a lot of competition between the written word and the...electronic word- especially now that we have kindles and nooks and all that junk- but I don't think books can ever be replaced. I know a bunch of people who don't own TV sets, parents who won't let their children near a tv, etc. there is definitely a place for books...i took a reading/writing children's literature last term and it's amazing how important these books are for 'proper' psychological development in children. write your book!

• when people get fed up of their mobile phones and fiddling with their gadgets they'll have to pick up a book and read it. then they will realize they're missing a whole literary universe that not only enhances your vocabulary but also teaches you a host of things. personally, I'd have been completely lost at any age without books, glorious books.

• I think so sadly because of ebooks and kindle which is dumb because you can't highlight or write on it..save it and pass on to children

• Books as only as important as the individual makes them.

For me, they are a huge part of my life. Whether they are in electronic or hardcopy form is irrelevant, in my opinion.

As for kids, I read to my nephews every day. They love books far more than movies, so it's about what parents/guardians choose to expose to their children.

But I do agree, the cultural significance of books (both nonfiction & fiction) is certainly decreasing. People are becoming increasingly uninterested in them and are instead focusing on the media, beauty and Justin Beiber. Sigh. Nonetheless, more people read than you probably realise. Maybe not all "intellectual" material, but reading is reading.

• i feel like they are and now there are ebooks. which I think is so sad. I mean nothing can replace holding a book and t urning the pages. I love used book stores for all the out of print books they have

What Guys Said 1

• If by books, you mean literature, then their value is timeless to those who appreciate them. Not everyone does, but that's true of pretty much anything. A video game aficionado would wonder if the classics were losing out to newer games that were more graphically appealing. A fan of film could say that CG has ruined the intrigue of the mechanics of filmmaking, like creating realistic looking aliens from Star Wars or dinosaurs from Jurassic Park. Different people appreciate different things.

If by books, you mean paper with writing on it, then yeah, they're losing value. Stuff like audio and online format (and you, the storytellers) have made a significant number of methods to get the same stories. Obviously, film doesn't do the literature justice, but audio still can.