Why do guys have sex with their ex after they break up with them?

I met this guy after he broke up with his ex. We were hanging out and he made the first move to kiss me. A month later he got drunk and had sex with his ex. She insisted they were just friends,but called him all the time like he was still hers. He also said they were just friends. I found out some months later about this sexual encounter. I confronted and he told me he was going to tell me and he was stupid and drunk and didn't know If I liked him. Even after the incident and me finding out, he hung out with her a couple of times. It took him 5mo to completely cut her out of his life. It wasn't really until I found out, that he decided not to be friends with her. He said he pity her for she didn't have friends and was lonely, but he also thought she was a bitch, and said he didn't want to be friends with her anyways. I'm still with him, only because I think he was naive and doesn't know how to emotionally detach himself from a situation like that. But I still wonder why guys remain friends with an ex they broke up with and sometimes even have sex with them. Is this for an emergency hankie pankie or because they can't emotionally detach themselves.Well I can't stress much more of the details. Let me know what guys think. Thanks. <3

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 2

• Because it's easier and less work to go back to the familiar than put in the time and effort to get into some other girl's pants.

• Selected as most helpful

It has to be said that this genuinely doesn't go for all guys. Me and my ex-girlfriend are 'friends', but we don't hang out. I don't really hang out with anyone since we split up though. And I'd have sex with her if she was offering, 'cos I still love her madly, and it'd mean I'd get to touch her, you know? But that's my desperate tale, aheh. Clearly not what's going on with him.

Uh... Well I think you've got it pretty much worked it. I think its a combination of both... And I honestly commend you for staying with him.

• Heh, sarcasm? I think I'm pathetic for it, forsure. But I would. 'Cos I am that pathetic. But she wouldn't do that anyway.

• So you are okay with your ex doing whatever and she has some fight with her boyfriend or wants sex and you'd take her back for the night? Only for her to leave your ass and love another like the first time...wow I don't think I could be that strong to let somebody use me like that. Good for you. <3

• Wouldn't you rather go back with someone you have seen naked, are comfortable with, they know what you like and dislike already, and you don't have to add one more to the number of people you have slept with because you wanted to get some?

• No, I'm more of an open-minded girl, so finding someone new and interesting would be more fun and exciting than familiarity. I think about expanding the horizon and seeing what's out there rather then something I well know what they have to offer.I am also not one who worries about adding one more to the # of people I've slept with.To me it's about quality, not quantity. I wouldn't stick around to be semi-satisfied,when I could have it all.Theres a reason for exes and why they should stay formers