Why can't I make friends at church ?

I have been attending a church for about 5 years now. My mother found the church for my brothers and I because at the time we were beginning to... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• Alright, so first of all. You don't go to Church because it's a social event and the people are friendly and the service is nice and the music is good. While they might all be present they are the wrong reasons to be going. You go to Church because you believe in the dogma. Church groups are hit and miss much like everything else in life. You're not always going to get the best small group or the young adults group might be separated into cliques. Keep looking and if you can't find anything maybe you should look for an external group like a lay ministry or bible study group. It's easy to get distracted by the people and start going because so and so is cool or you have a crush on this cute guy in it but you've got to remember the real reason you're involved.

• I'm very aware of the fact that church is more than a social gathering. However the bible tells us not to forsake the assembly of one another. I also personally feel that a church is supposed to be a family. It should be a place where you can talk to like minded people that can understand experiences that you deal with on a regular basis. It should be somewhere that you can pray for others as well as yourself .

• Show Older
    • Thank you for your opinion, SilentEarth. You might be right. With respect, SilentEarth, I see things differently. Most people I know have a confused idea of the dogma, more questions than answers.

Most people I know go because their parents went, because they have friends, because they have always gone, because that's what they do on Sunday. Most people, imho, aren't as pure as you.

• We can't afford to be that way though. We need to know exactly what we believe and why we believe it, otherwise there's no more point in believing one thing over another. We all have questions but the difference is in actively seeking the answers. This doesn't just go for religion, this goes for everything. Our capacity to reason sets us apart from the rest of creation, how dare we cast it aside for consolation?