If guys like natural beauty so much why do they want girls to straighten their hair?

Why do guys say they hate makeup, hair extensions, fake tan, fake nails, etc but prefer it if curly haired girls straightened their hair?

I have been seeing that on this site a lot, and guys in person tell me how much prettier I am with straight hair and how I should have it like that all the time?

Do guys know that straightening hair is very damaging?

By curly hair I don't mean an unkempt just-rolled-out-of-bed birds nest.
37.media.tumblr.com/.../...t2NJaL1s4jm1so1_500.jpg
themetaonline.com/images/2013-04-01/SMy4EeJ.jpg

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 14

• Because most men have no fucking clue what is natural and what is not.
    They just look at hot women and "hope that it is natural".

• Surely they understand that not all girls have perfectly straight hair.

• Nope. Talk male friends... Ask them if they can point out the "hot natural girls"... They'll point out women wearing make up, fake nails, straightened hair... The whole shebang.

• I guess when they say natural beauty, that's a lot of crap.

It likely means they:
    - would prefer a natural 10 to one who worked to get there OR
    - don't want to NOTICE the fake stuff

• and girls are supposedly the shallow ones

• Straight hair isn't really 'fake...' That's like saying trimming your nails makes you fake.

By fake what they mean is just what you said; fake tan, fake nails, extensions, too much makeup, chemicals, etc.

I like girls with curly hair and so do many other guys :) I guess it's just how you wear it.

• No trimming nails would be similar to trimming the hair not straightening hair.
      Straightening hair is a chemical process.

• It may be a chemical process, but it isn't 'chemicals.'

• Straight hair is not fake. You're not applying any coloring, chemicals, or anything like that to make it straight.
    Eyeliner, lipstick, nail polish, hair extensions, etc. are not naturally part of your body. They are external additions.

• Well some people do apply chemicals to their hair to get it straight. I use a flat iron but applying heat to get the hair straight is a chemical process too. It wouldn't be straight otherwise.

• That's a thermal process.

• The flat ironing is thermal but there are chemical processes such as Keratin Treatments and Japanese Hair Straightening. Both change the structure of the hair. Its no less fake than lying in a tanning bed. If anything its less fake than makeup/extensions because at least when you put that stuff on you're not altering your body.

• When guys say 'natural', they mean 'naturalesque'.

• If you hot naturally curly and wavy hair go for it I have naturally curly hair. And I don't mind if a girl wears her natural hair and wears little make up if you can pull it off go for it.

• is hair straightening considered a sign of in-authenticity? Perhaps for black women. But it seems fairly negligible w/ other ethnicities in the "natural beauty" concept.

• What makes having curly hair negligible and why are only black women exempted?

• i think it's negligible b/c i dont think i've ever heard any guy ever criticize a (non-black) girl for not having her natural curliness/straightness of hair. Have you? It'd surprise me.

I say black women are exempt b/c I have heard blacks criticize other black women for straightening their hair, as if it was not living up to their heritage.

• When we say that we mean: "We want natural 10s."

• So a girl with curly hair can't be a 10 unless she straightens it

• And also all straight hair master race white people

• Correct. JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCY!

• i would go out with a woman with curly hair as long as it was medium to long curly lol. very short curly hair would remind me of my sister lol

• I'm a black dood with short hair and doods tell me to straighten my hair. Was hoping that would make you feel better, but yeah. D:

• I don't care about if the hair is curly or straight. It can both be pretty, its HOW you wear it

• In my opinion, straightening ones hair isn't as fake as makeup.

• Cuz we hate a hot ghetto mess

• Personally, I prefer women that wear a little makeup and, to a small degree, manipulate their hair to enhance their look. In fact, I would not date woman that does not.

When guys say they want a natural beauty, in my opinion, it means that they want a women that wears as little makeup, etc., as possible.

• Then they should say subtle enhancements. Do guys not know what natural means?

What Girls Said 9

• I don't think they know what natural means. I really don't. You could probably put a picture of two different girls next to one another- one with makeup and one without, and if the makeup was subtle enough they wouldn't tell the difference. And more often than not, I doubt they even know if the girl has naturally curly hair or not too lol

www.365hangers.com/.../...im-kardashian-makeup.jpg

• That's true. They should drop the whole "natural beauty" thing and just say they like girls who are hot.

• Pretty much. :)

• My hair is super curly and everyone always says they like me better with straight hair. I'm guessing everyone likes that better because it is more common.

• My guess is that they like the style.

• Curly hair is hard to manage, and I hate short hair...but I like make-up too

• You make it seem like straight hair is a bad thing

• I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Nothing wrong with naturally straight hair but straightening hair can potentially be a bad thing if you damage your hair to get it that way. There's also nothing wrong with preferring straight hair I just wanted to know why guys think its fake to enhance your beauty with makeup, fake tan, hair extensions, and hair dye but not when it comes to straightening hair.

• I have to straighten my hair or I'd be stuck with an ugly fro...(not good)
      Well I've heard some guys say that it looks healthier, less tangled and it's easier to run their fingers through when girls have straight hair.

• i agreed straightening hair is very damaging
    i have tried not to do it

• Because they're a little hypocritical. They've most likely never seen a 100% natural woman either, so they claim to like it even though they have no idea what's fake and what's real. And no, guys probably have no clue about how damaging straightening your hair can be either. Basically they're clueless when it comes to female beauty. They just like to pretend that they know what they're talking about.

• Haha they should just shut up and appreciate the beauty regardless of if its "fake" or not. Or at least stop inconsistently shaming women for trying to do things to enhance their beauty.

• Men aren't as logical as they'd like to think

• Nope! lol

• Does it really matter what they think? Be how ever makes you feel good about yourself.

• I don't know, I wear makeup, do my hair, get it highlighted, paint my nails and wear bronzer because I am white as a ghost, and I have NEVER had a problem with men. They always say they want a "natural" girl, and I am sure that is true, but I feel like I am not 100% natural and I still get plenty of compliments/asked out.

I think as long as you don't look like a clown, they don't really care. I am never going to change doing what I do because it is fun for me, and I dont really care if guys tell me to stop lol.

• They never say they prefer your hair straight?

• I don't think they care if your hair is straight or not, it is just what looks better on that individual person. I wear my hair curly every day, and I even curl it to enhance it.

• I blame society's screwed up idealization of beauty that we've adopted into our heads.