Should I shave my hair? Read all first!

I've never really liked my natural hair color much, and it's very plain anyways. I also have trichotillomania which is a condition where you pull your hair out for some reason (kind of like a habit but much much worse). The thing is, as much as I would like help for it too; the area where I am makes getting it more difficult that and there are a number of issues with it anyway at the moment - which I'm not gonna get into right now... just know that getting sufficient treatment will be awkward for me at the moment.

Anyways, because of all this, my hair looks really thin and get's greasy easily too... where I have pulled is in view and although it has started to grow back is now sticking up with a vengeance. Anyway, so my theory is that shaving until all of my hair is equal length may actually be beneficial; that and I've never been fussed with hair. I have no problems saying to any inquiring people why my head is shaved... my mum would also be willing to get me good quality wigs and hats, also there wouldn't be any weird clumps of hair turning up in the carpet... overall though I would probably look more attractive with wigs since my hair isn't that great IMHO.

So people does this make sense to you?

And guys, would you be happy being with a person who has a crappy hairstyle like mine or a nice looking one that is a wig?

I'm also a firm believer in not doing anything chemical to my hair for health reasons so dyeing and straightening my hair would be a problem, that and having shorter hair is said to combat my hair pulling problems.

Ok, quite a few people have looked but not answered... this is a genuine question - don't worry about my condition, I just want to know what you all think of girls and wigs/hats with short hair. When I say wigs, I mean the good quality, real hair ones.
In my opinion, people would prefer to be hanging out with someone in a wig rather than someone with bold spots and/or random short bits of hair. But as my opinion is the most valid as it is me making the final decision I want to know other's opinions too.
All your answers are good and I am glad your trying to help... but I know about my condition. People actually recommend having shorter hair when you have this condition. That and even with the help, I will still have the tendencies.
Anyways, I have made a decision to not go completely shaved, rather a short hairstyle and see how that goes for a while. At least the shorter hairs will match the rest of the length.
So I shaved my hair (well... didn't a family member did) it's just over an inch long all around and it looks great! I really like it but I'm glad I didn't shave it completely. Thanks for your answers.

Most Helpful Girl

• shaving your hair will not really solve the issues you have. what you really should do is find a way to cope with the 'root' of your problem... maybe look online for advice.. part of your problem might be other underlying psychological issues you need to address. it might help to talk with others who have the condition as well. and if you're into the punk look, a shaved head would be the perfect way to start! and the main thing to keep in mind...it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks of your hair, or its condition... the people that matter will look beyond such superficial issues.. and see you for the great person that you are!

What Guys Said 2

• Read about it in Wikipedia : link

It's not your hair that should be changed/altered/removed, it's your mania and you need help from a professional psy, not from a hairdresser. Habit Reversal Training or HRT ( link ) rather than a shave.

• Update: I know very attractive short haired women.

What Girls Said 7

• I think some people can pull of wearing a wig and make it stylish. But you have to be prepared about people looking at you in a different way as well as explaining to your boyfriend or a guy you like that you have a wig that might fall off.

I would suggest you get a really short hair cut. Like GI Joe girl style. I think it takes a lot for a girl to do that and shows even more about who she is. It'll probably attract a lot of guys who'd be interested in a girl who is willing to do that.

You said you won't do anything chemical wise, but what about hair extensions? You can get them so when you pull out your hair then chances are you pull out something that's not really your hair and that you can replace by just going to a hair supply store.

• Its all whatever your comfortable with.

There is a girl I go to school with, and she has a condition where she has no hair on her body whatsoever, no eyelashes, no arm hair, nothing. She doesn't wear a wig and rarely will wear hats and she's a very pretty girl.

So if you wanna go with a wig, then do it, if you wanna shave it, shave it, if neither, then go for that too.

Honestly if it was me, I'd think it would be painful to pull your own hair out, so I probably would just shave it, and most likely get a wig.

• it seems like you have really thought this out. if you are comfortable with trying out a wig, I say go for it! honestly, it sounds like it will help your condition and make you feel better about your appearance.

• i saw a girl in new york once. she was tall beautiful and looked like she could be a model, and she just didn't have hair. She wasn't sick looking like with chemo, but she did look really pretty A wig isn't always necessary but they really are fun. I have a full head of hair but still like to mess around with them

• Girl I think yeah you should talk it out with your parents and well I think its better then having bold spots all over and stuff hair take time to grow but it grow thicker and sometimes darker ...But it can also be the opposite ...If you are convince you are going to handle other peoples mouth then yeah go for it :s) good luck!

• I have trick and I shaved my hair I think it wa she best thing for me as atm it fashional and it helped with my acceptance of my self. I have always hated the idea of wearing a wig in case it fell of so it you can ric sort hair go for it. But theirs some people it doesn't work on and it will only bring negative views. But shaving shopped me from having access from my hair

• You shouldn't base your decision on what others think. You are the one that has to live with it. Do what you would think would suit you best. If people don't like it then screw them. I would do what makes you most comfortable.