Is this hypocrisy, or is there a logical reason?

If a woman dresses up like a man, she is called 'tomboyish' but if a man dresses up like a woman, he is called a 'cross-dresser'.

If this hypocrisy, or is there some logical explanation for this? Also, can the term 'cross-dresser' ever be applied to a woman, considering that there seems to be nothing 'strange' about women dressing up as men?

P.S. I'm not a cross-dresser, I'm just asking this question to gain some knowledge in this matter.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's because it's sort of perceived as weird or shameful for a man to dress as a woman, they are still expected to be manly ideally whereas a woman in pants seems normal

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never thought about that, but I suppose you're right. It does kind of seem like a double standard.

I think that men dressing women freaks more people out, which is why the derogatory sounding term "cross-dresser" is used.

Good question. There aren't many questions on here that really make me think, but this one did.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 0