Whats your opinion, is there a age restriction in being goth?

Hi i would like to speak to all goths out there, how many of you think its ok to be a goth at 46 years old, thats my age. Its not just because i love the look, especially medieval goth and victorian goth. I have always had the mind set of a gothic though im not into being sad or depressed all the time, i love the darkness in the music, art especially ann stokes, poetry and writings. I am drawn by history especially of the medieval period. I also love to read tomb stone, gargoyles, old castles and dragons, swords and night hood. What do you believe am i too old to be goth or are goths not restrained by age. Thanks for you opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why not? It may be silly to wear some items of clothing that only look good on really young girls, but goth style, especially victorian and medieval, can look very feminine and elegant and can be adjusted to look professional as well, if needed. Dropping some clothing items as you grow older is normal, but you don't have to abandon the entire style.
    As for being part of the scene, I assume you're not into night life every weekend or anything, I guess that stops being interested after a while (I'm 20 years younger than you and I'm already not that into it anymore) but when you feel like visiting some concert or some event that doesn't happen every saturday, go for it.

In my opinion, some older people in the alternative scene do look like a parody, and it's mainly because they're trying too hard to appear young. On the other hand there are some other older people who make the best both of their age and of their style. They're kinda like the role models in the scene, that's the way I see it. Most younger people in the scene wanna be like them when they grow old. :)

• thanks for your wonderful answer, i agree with you trying to hard to look like a young goth really doesn't work. I prefer elegant skirts with lace and in dark colours with tops that compliment, long back jackets and knee high black boots like riding boots. i dont have skulls, etc for accesories but victorian style chokers, small elegant crosses, feathers and flowers like dark rich coloured roses, i do wear long gloves plain or fishnet style. No i dont go clubbing but enjoy my music, writing poetry and gothic reading, concerts are good also,

What Guys Said 4

• I can't see why people who started the goth scene should be ejected from it.

How you exhibit it may change but that's natural.

• Thank you its true gothics did start way before now but sometimes i do come across other young goths who can't understand how i can be goth at my age. Though it doesn't matter what others think sometimes i do feel like correcting what they say and standing u for myself

• I think that a huge aspect of the goth scene is not giving a shit about what other people think.

• yes thats true i was just interested in other peoples opinions

• Elvira Mistress of the Dark still carries the look off very well and she is 63.

• As long as you don't have kids, go for it.

• yes i do have kids i have a 22 year old son who is goth and a 15 year old daughter who is emo, They are happy for me to be who i am though.

• It seems things are going well for you then. I havemt seen that very often. Keep going sister

What Girls Said 2

• You can be whatever you want so long as you are content with yourself

• I've never met one over the age of 25