Question for people who know a lot about hair?

So my hair gets super greasy super fast. I'm not one of those girls who can go a day without washing because by day 2 my hair is so greasy it looks wet (gross, I know), it doesn't stop me from skipping days, I work every other day so on the days I don't work I don't wash it because it's supposed to be good for your hair or whatever. However, if I have something to do that day I will wash it because I won't leave the house with it looking that awful. It is just super frustrating that my hair gets THAT gross that quickly, it's probably genetic or whatever because my dad is the exact same way.

Is there anything I can do to make it less greasy on the second day? I know a stylist who told me that if I keep washing it every other day, like I do, it will stop getting so gross but I call bull crap on that because I've been doing it like this for a little over a year and it still gets gross. Dry shampoos haven't worked for me, they take a bit of the grease out but not nearly enough (and isn't dry shampoo just exactly like washing your hair but without water? It's still taking the oil, that's supposed to be good, away. If I'm going to use dry shampoo I might as well just wash it when I take my shower, it's like the same thing.) I use Pantene moisture renewal shampoo right now. Is there anything I can do to make it less greasy? It's always nice the day that I wash it but by the next day it's awful.

Most Helpful Girl

• I stopped using shampoo almost a year ago for the same reason (greasy after 12-24hrs). for the first 3 months I'd say, I washed my hair with a baking soda paste (just make a paste with baking soda and water and rub it on the scalp and through the roots of the hair) then id rinse that out, condition, and then do an apple cider vinegar rinse (1 part ACV to 1 part water) and just poured it over my hair and let it sit for 30 seconds then rinsed it out. this restored the proper ph balance to your scalp. the baking soda is what gets rid of the grease. also you dont need to condition, i just preferred to.

after the 3 months i was sick of taking a container of baking soda if i went anywhere so i switched to wen cleansing conditioner. I would just run this through my roots/scalp area and leave it on for my entire shower and id put regular conditioner on my ends (only because its cheaper that way) and leave that on for the remainder of my shower also, then just rinse out as normal. Then id stretch washing my hair to every other day and now my second day hair is pretty much perfectly fine and sometimes i can stretch it to a third day.

also you can try putting a bit of baking powder on your roots, let it sit a minute without touching it so it gets a chance to absorb some of the oil, then brush it through.

getting rid of the shampoo is a pretty important step because it has sulphates which strips the hair of its natural oils (sebum) and once your scalp senses that, its a signal for the sebaceous glands to produce more oil, which in turn it ends up overproducing oil and making you look greasy. it also has silicone's in it which coats the hair shaft (or cuticle) and it weighs your hair down, making it eventually look limp and life-less, and is tough on your strands over time.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• When you are washing it, are you overdoing your conditioner? I went through a faze where I put way too much conditioner into my hair, and it made it look so greasy. There are also certain shampoos you can purchase that hae tea tree oil in them and they work so well! I've used them before :)

• I thought about the conditioner thing so I tried to use about half of what I normally use and it still got greasy like normal

• Try buying the special shampoo and conditioner that has the tea tree oil in it, it really worked for me!

• Use salon styling class shampoo and conditioner. What you buy from supermarket in't enough