Hippie vs. Hipster, What's the Difference Nowadays?

What's the Difference Nowadays? I like to call myself a hippie, but my dad says that without Vietnam, there are no hippies. My friends call me a hipster in a derogatory manner to figure out why I love flowers, art, music, native American culture; or why I wear my hair shaggy and long, and wear baggy skirts and clothing.

Most Helpful Guy

• hippie = small anti cultural movement (free love, back to nature, anti war, anti oppression)
    hipster = avant garde subcultural movement (mostly considering modern livestyle, art and fassion)

for both groubs: death through mainstream. you canĀ“t be an original hippie or hipster nowadays. (well at least not if you are younger than ~45 years)
    allthough the term hipster is misused for certain fashion styles nowadays.

What Guys Said 3

• There are a lot of differences, but a simple one would be whether irony informs < 5% of what you say and how you dress, or over 70%.

• Unless you were an OG from the 60's 70's, you're pretty much a hipster.

• Nothing , my city is FULL OF HIPSTERS LOL

What Girls Said 3

• Well... your dad is right.

You may like the hippie fashion, but you are not a hippie... not in the true sense of the word.
    You might be a hippie at heart - freedom, love, sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, Janis Joplin...

• The way I see it, hipsters are the hot, modern version of hippies, and they try to hard to be all "look at me! im different! I dont care! I look like I slept on the street, but actually I used 3 hours to look like this!". And hippies are just having fun, smoking weed and trying to stand out too.

• hippies are druggies duh
    plus hipster and hippies dress completely different