Should I get my tongue pierced or not?

Advice anyone?—So I am a 17 year old male in high school (I'm basically the biggest loser ever, so most everybody hates/dislikes me anyways), and I will be going into the Air Force as my lifelong career. I have always been curious about getting a tongue piercing. I like piercings (on girls) to a certain extent, but no crazy all over the face stuff. But tongue piercings are just SO beautiful and are SUCH a turn on. A tongue piercing is probably the only one I would seriously consider, but I'm curious about it all. Liiiike:
1. How easy/hard is it to remove the piercing (I guess that's what the term would be) from my tongue?
2. What do you think the social backlash would be from wearing it? I'm just trying to figure out when it would be socially acceptable in the atmosphere for me to be wearing it. School? Parties? Military (jk, obviously not)?
3. How noticeable do you think it would be both when it is in and when it is out? I mean, I'm not going to stick my tongue out at anyone, but I'm sure some will still notice, but how noticeable is it?
4. Let's say I removed the piercing for seven days, would the hole begin to heal, or not? Let's say 6 weeks.
5. How much does a tongue piercing usually cost?
6. Would a professional looking male with a tongue piercing look unprofessional?
7. If I end up regretting the decision, will the piercing eventually heal, or not?

Thank you for helping me with all this! I'm sure that you cannot answer them all, and that's okay. But thanks for helping and thanks for reading! :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, you'll have to be prepared for the gay question, a lot.
    If thats is what you really wan't to do, then go for it. I personally think it's really ugly on guys, while it's sexy on girl. And a tongue piercing would be a major turn off.

1. How easy/hard is it to remove the piercing (I guess that's what the term would be) from my tongue? - If nothing goes wrong, then it's pretty easy. You'll look like a moron, and drool a lot for the first days tho.

2. What do you think the social backlash would be from wearing it? I'm just trying to figure out when it would be socially acceptable in the atmosphere for me to be wearing it. School? Parties? Military (jk, obviously not)? It's not that social accepted on guys yet, so I think the backsplash a lot - especially if you wan't to join the military. I don't know how it is in america, but here it takes some guy to pull that off, and look coll with it. Older people are probably going to be awfully judgmental, not that it matters. And jobs could be harder to get sadly:/

3. How noticeable do you think it would be both when it is in and when it is out? I mean, I'm not going to stick my tongue out at anyone, but I'm sure some will still notice, but how noticeable is it? It's not that noticeable, when your mouth is closed, or you are just talking normally. But people you see more than once, can't avoid seeing it.

5. How much does a tongue piercing usually cost? Here they cost about 400kr (about 72 dollars?)
    MAKE SURE YOU GET IT FROM A REAL PIERCER! Do not choose the cheapest one to save money!

6. Would a professional looking male with a tongue piercing look unprofessional? Depends on what kind of profession it is. For me personally it's no, I wouldn't think he looked unprofessional. But yes, society will.

7. If I end up regretting the decision, will the piercing eventually heal, or not? Yes it will heal.

:-)

What Girls Said 6

• yuckkyyyy no pleaseeeee dont!!! theyre actually SO ugly lol. sorry=/

1. not sure cuz i dont have one.
    2. obviously where u could wear it is very limited, and u could also get urself in trouble. imagine if one day u forgot to take it off and ur going somewhere all dress coded…. u gonna b in deep=/
    3. very noticeable, especially with girls. sometimes our gaze tends to drift to the lips when ur talking so wed see it and either get turned on or grossed out.

imma skip 4 and 5 lol

6. yes. they look trashy. like u just came out of a KISS concert…
    7. ofcourse i believe it should heal, as do all cells eventually…

well anyway i do hope u reconsider lol, please stay looking reasonable:P hope this helps!

• I had a good friend in high school that had her tongue pierced, and she'd only date guys who had it. She, and they, could get it in and out without even touching it (after lots of practice, of course). It costs about the same as any other piercing, depending where you go, $20-60. As far as the rest, though, you couldn't wear it at school, unless your dress code is insanely different from all the places I went, and you couldn't wear it in the military. In any professional job, you couldn't wear it either, because, yes, it does look trashy, and most don't find it remotely attractive. As a result of the location and the high level of foreign bacteria, tongue piercings to do infected a great deal more than others. If you remove it, there are other variables... I took my earrings out for three years and they were still pierced, but many people, you take it out for 24 hours and it's closed. It all depends on you, but the norm is that, when you first get it done, you can't take it out for a month or more, again depending where the piercing is, and then you have to be careful for how long you leave it out or it will close back up. Closing back up, again, depends on how your body heals. Mine don't, a few of my friends don't either, but other friends, their piercings will close by that night if they take it out in the morning.

Finally, social backlash, don't worry so much about what other people think. It's not worth it, and it won't matter one iota in a few years.

• You can't have a tongue ring in the USAF so I wouldn't go there. I have not had my tongue pierced, but oral piercings pretty much all have the same rules.
    1. Super easy
    2. Fuck em
    3. Very noticeable
    4. If you're planning on just removing it for boot camp it will be closed by the time you get back.
    5. 30-60 dollars depending on the shop.
    6. Yes
    7. Yes

• personally, I'm not a fan of lip or tongue piercings (or in the nether regions)

but some guys (and girls) like them.

i recommend u talk to a guy who already has a tongue piercing to see if that's really something u want to go through or not. really think it through.

• i can't answer u r questions but I can tell u about my cousin was put in jail for 6 months he had to take his piercing out while in jail when he got out this tongue was so infected he use a Turkey baster to clean it and I remember him sticking it through his tongue it was nasty

• I'm not going to answer any of these questions... but I will say, tongue piercings are a bad bad idea! They wreck your teeth and can cause some pretty serious infections. Not only that but if they miss the right spot while piercing it, it can cause brain damage (not sure how bad) because if the amount of nerves in your tongue. I used to want the piercing but did a lot of research on it and asked a lot of questions. Not only that but sure they say let it heal for 6-8 weeks... but in reality it's a lot longer than that especially if you want to leave the stud out for a but. I'd say probably a year to fully heal. My nose took a year and it wasn't wet all the time, so just imagine how long it would take your tongue to heal...

What Guys Said 0