Why do so many villains in books have gray eyes?

I've noticed that villains (and also scholars) have gray eyes in novels a lot. Do gray eyes seem cold, evil or distant?

My eyes are very similar to this photo from Wikipedia. Can I make them seem warmer?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 6

• Grey is a combination of dark colors, and light. The villain had a choice in life, to go to one side, or the other. Perhaps there is always the possibility of redemption for him.

In one of the stories I wrote, there was an evil wolf who betrayed his kind. He was lawless, and a murderer. He caused untold death and destruction to his community, who lived peaceably with mankind.

In the end, I couldn't bring myself to kill him. I chose to humble him, and have him return to his people.

I think in many stories, the author can like, in a way, the villain. There should always be hope for the villain, even if they do not want it. Or take it.

• That's pretty deep. We all have the bad and good struggling inside, right?

• Right, yes :) I heard once, the man with the most potential to become a saint, is the man who has the biggest potential for evil.

• I'm more intrigued by how the colours of black and white have been inverted. In the old westerns the good guys always wore white hats and the baddies black, now the good guys usually wear black and dark colours while the baddies wear white.

• The pigment had been sucked out with their souls

• Those poor saps who are gray eyed gingers! ;)

• Yes cold, uncompassionate, hard... just not the same with Baby Blues...

• supposedly, Romans had grey eyes. Maybe there's a connection. Pretty eye color i think.

• Ah, maybe the idea came from when Rome controlled most of western civilization.

• What books are you talking of?

Only if you wear coloured contacts, but why just because a book tells you that grey eyes are evil doesn't make it true. Are the books from the same author? Then it is just a fetish of the author and you shouldn't put any thought into that.

Just because some writers use this or that artistic liberty, doesn't make it real.

It is you who decide how you act towards other people, not your eye colour. The fact that you are worried about that shows in fact that you are worried about being evil. Stop worrying about your eye colour, worry about your actions if they are good or bad.

No one will care what your eye colour looks like, if you are a good person.

• Haha! It's very common - from Greek lit to modern dystopian to the notion that sharpshooters are gray eyed.

I don't worry about being evil. I'm just curious about it. Also curious if I can liven up my looks if they really do look creepy.

Cheers! :)

What Girls Said 2

• I guess it's a gray character (no matter how evil, they still aren't entirely evil, they've got a story behind those eyes) - hence the grey area...

• They are mysterious in my opinion maybe that's why.