Why do people wear jeans and flip-flops together?

Why do people wear jeans (winter clothing) and flip-flops (summer clothing) together? This is something I have always wondered. Here in California, when the high temperature gets to about 70 degrees, this clothing combination becomes very popular and commonplace, especially on college campuses. Girls wear it moreso than guys, although it’s becoming more popular with guys as well. Oddly enough, when the temperature is around 70-75, I often see just as many people wearing jeans/flip-flops as I do shorts/flip-flops, even though the temperature is fairly warm for jeans.

So for those of you that wear jeans and flip-flops together, why do you wear jeans if it’s warm enough outside to wear flip-flops? Is it simply a matter of preferring jeans over shorts regardless of the weather? Or is it something more practical, such as the temperature being colder in the morning, and your legs are more sensitive to the cold air than your feet are?

Most Helpful Girl

• jeans are more "not summer" than "only winter".
    and flip flops are more "not winter" than "only summer"
    so you have both spring and fall where they overlap.

it might be just chilly enough that you want jeans but its not actually cold... so its still warm enough to wear flip flops. annddddd your feet exposed is only a small amount of skin whereas your legs exposed is a lot of skin so you can wear flip flops when its too cold to wear shorts... like I could comfortably wear flip flops down to about 45-50 degrees but once it gets down to 65 degrees I want to wear jeans, not shorts.

What Girls Said 8

• Because we enjoy going against societal norms like the free birds we are.
    Nah, actually, you're right. I'm not one for wearing shorts in public. Even if it's warm enough for shorts I still prefer my jeans at times. For starters, my legs are pale (likely due to my excessive covering of them) and I hate my knees.
    Also, I have a severe loathing for socks. When I have to wear socks with shoes for the day, the socks come off within minutes of returning home. When I don't have to go anywhere for the day, (even in winter) the socks stay off. And putting those toe-muzzles on just to leave the house for something when it's a perfectly warm and sunny day? No thank you, good sir; no foot sweat nor toe oppression shall be accepted on sub a fine day.
    Flip flops (or any sandals in general) tend to be my best friend with their user friendly design and lack of a sock requirement. (Also, they're cheap :3)

• Jeans are every weather clothing...

Anyways... why do people wear flip flops in general?
    They may be comfortable but they're bad for your feet in the long run plus they don't look that nice at all...

Sandals - a real way to start the day.. Hahaha
    No, but seriously, who are we to judge others?

• Totally my style year round. I like my feet to be free!

• So you just prefer jeans over shorts. Thanks for your input! :)

• Angel I'm with you on that! It's what I wear out almost every weekend unless it's really hot, then I'll wear shorts. I hate wearing socks!!! Love to have the air on my feet!

• Feet needs more breathing than legs trust me :)

• Without being too descriptive my body type and shorts completely clash. It's a small miracle if I find a pair of shorts that fit correctly. Even if I do, I'm very fair skinned so my legs are stark white. Jeans in the summer is something I do a lot. It may draw attention but not worse than my stark white legs, ill fitting shorts, and my obvious discomfort.

• They probably have a lot of things on their mind and. or are in a hurry.

• Jeans aren't really "winter" clothes to be honest.

• Jeans are not winter clothing. Thick jeans like the classic Levi's may be too hot to wear in summer, but today there are so many jeans with thinner fabric, and those jeggings (leggings that look like jeans) are definitely made of thinner fabric. It's a cute, effortless, comfortable combination. And sometimes there are people who don't feel confident enough to show their entire thighs in shorts, you know, and just prefer to dress modestly? Nothing wrong with that?

What Guys Said 4

• I live in South Bay and that clothing combo is pretty common. I personally do it because I hate wearing shoes. (Yes I'm a beach bum) but some places you go out to you should wear long pants, so I wear pants and flip flops. Not all jeans are winter either. I have some really light jeans that I wear in the summer. Especially here in Manhattan Beach, I see jeans, flip flops, and a t shirt out all the time every weekend. I'm not sure what it is, but I find it very comfortable!!

• So basically jeans/flip-flops is considered a bit more formal than shorts/flip-flops? Interesting.

• Wow, that's really interesting. I've never heard of any places that allow flip-flops, but don't allow shorts. I've always considered shorts and flip-flops to be equally casual. Around here at least (central California), they are usually either both allowed or neither is allowed.

But yeah, if I were in your situation, I would wear jeans and flip-flops too. No reason to force myself to wear shoes in warm weather just because I'm not allowed to wear shorts.

• Only thing I can think of is because we are the "beach cities". If I go up to LA and go out, it's pants and shoes all the time. I don't know the rationale behind it, but I don't have a problem with it, so I'm going with the flow!!

• I love the look of a girl wearing tight jeans and flip flops, with her toes peeking out below her jeans. That is hot. And watching a girl walk in tight jeans and flip flops with her flip flops smacking on her heels. Painted toenails are a plus. Seeing a cute babe wearing jeans and heavily-worn Rainbow flip flops, painted toenails, and a couple of toe rings will definitely get my attention. And if she's wearing a cute little, loose white spaghetti strap crop top cut nice and short displaying her tummy, I will have a hard time containing myself.

A girl wearing black rubber flip flops, or white ones or hot pink or any other color for that matter with tight jeans looks hot too. Platform flip flops look sexy in jeans too.

• jeans are winter clothing?:P well i guess it depends on your area. in SoCal everyone wears jeans.

• It's really comfortable, and it looks really, really good on women.

A nice casual t-shirt, nice fitting jeans and Rainbow sandals. Ahhhhhh.