Military party - dress help!?

I'm going to a partners weekend with my boyfriend next weekend, and there's an event in the evening. He's been told the dress code is 'suit and tie and female equivalent'. I have a gorgeous dress I bought when I thought this was a formal dining in event, and I'm worried i'll look overdressed since its actually 'drinks and a garden party' type thing. I'll try and attach photos! Thought on how to dress it down? Will I look really silly if I'm a bit overdressed?
If photos don't work, it's this in pale/baby blue but with a back (ties up) - www.thecelebritydresses.com/...s-evening-gown.html

Most Helpful Guy

• Better overdressed than underdressed darling ;)
    Just wear small&simple earrings/necklace with it, and don't do anything to fancy with your hair if you want to keep it more simple. If the guys come in suits, probably most ladies will come in cocktail/short dresses, yours is just a bit more classy. I wouldn't worry much about that.

What Guys Said 4

• Oh my, that is lovely.

Ask him and see if it's too fancy, I'm sure he's seen other military parties before and gotten a sense of the dress attire there.

• is it a party with a bunch of military dudes? or Military Ball meaning they'll be dressing in their dress Uniforms.

That dress is pretty conservative from some of the balls I've been to lol. It looks nice, it looks classy.

• It's the mid term function and a partners weekend. He's doing training at the moment so their uniforms aren't back from the tailors yet, so they're in suits. It's at RAF cranwell. I thought it was a sit down meal originally since he only had rumours to go on, but now they've been told it's reception drinks, a hog roast, and a garden party.

• So they're not even wearing their uniforms? Sounds fun, AirForce functions always have the best food to (at least here in the US they do).

• Looks like a beautiful dress to me, he's gonna love it :)

• it looks good.

if you're worried, ask your boyfriend

What Girls Said 1

• Dressing up for military functions is viewed as respectful. My profession doesn't really do the fancy party thing, but I'm assuming a 'military party' is a couple steps down from a 'military ball', and a ball is insanely fancy. So I'd say you're good.