Could I buy clothes for my female friend?

I have been thinking about what to get for my friend's birthday. I don't need suggestions; I want to come up with something. But I was wondering if it would be okay for me to get her clothing. Her birthday isn't till November, so I was thinking maybe a sweater or a cardigan, possibly a dress of some sort. We're not really close, but I do like her a lot, and I just wanted to know if you thought it would be a little too weird to get her clothing. Also, what articles of clothing would be ideal to get her? For sizing, should I just guess and then make sure she can return it if she wants?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think clothing would be a nice gift. But you need to realize how tricky it is to buy clothing for a girl. Not only do you have to get her size right but even if you do that then the girl might get offended. Girls tend to think a lot expecially when it comes to weight and what people think about their weight. I would strongly suggest you not buy her clothing. Leave that for her girl friends to buy and do something more meaningful since you're not dating her. I think its different if a boyfriend of a long time buys a girl clothes just because its more familiar territory.

• I agree with this! well said! girls think and over-think about stuff like that. maybe you could get her a gift card for her favorite clothing place if that's the route you want to go. then you can show that you paid attention to where she likes to shop.

• Would jewelry be better? I bought her a necklace last Christmas and she really liked it, but it's kind of hard to find something that aligns with her taste yet isn't boring.

• Or what about a hat or a scarf or something like that? Would that also be a bad choice or is that better than clothing?

What Girls Said 2

• i think it's nice. I wouldn't mind. I guess get a gift receipt so that she can at least exchange it if she doesn't like it but ask for opinions on it and what she likes and go from there

• I think a gift card would better

What Guys Said 0